• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dreaded STARTER "Click, Click"...Rebuild(?)...You Bet.!

If you've ever jumped in your car to take a drive with your love...and she jilts you with a "Click-Click"...don't be spurned, and don't be shy. After the shell-shock of the price of a new one, we look to rebuilt ones...$100-$150...not bad. A few quick review of a few YouTube videos on our Nippon-Denso starters and I'm looking up a little. The general consensus is that they're bullet-proof-ball-bearing-drive-units worthy of race car use. That being said, the weakest link over time (but not weak in general) is the solenoid. The good news...you can replace the old contacts with new ones, slip in a new plunger, reinstall the starter and you're down the road again...for about $30 in parts. After watching the videos, I said: "I can do that...hmm!" Now...I've got the fatty Service Manuals for my .95, and it simply says: Remove the negative battery cable; Remove the cable from the battery side of the starter; Unplug the one-wire ignition wire from the solenoid; Remove the two bolts holding the starter and head to your workbench for 15 minutes of seat time while you "rebuild" your solenoid...

Now...Honda does not offer any rebuild kits for it's Denso starters, but...Toyota does, as well as a few online companies that specialize in Starter/Alternator repair...

So buy or order the parts before you Jack'er up... (try www.nationsautoelectric.com)

Here's the real skinny though...(and I'm not)...

First, the Starter is located on the forward-facing side of the engine, driver's side, below the coolant overflow bottle and above the transmission cable selectors on the underside. Intimidated yet? I was... I jacked her up and put her up (high) on 4 jackstands. She looked like the AFLAC Duck (my jackstands are orange...). So far, so good... First, undo the (5) 10mm bolts holding the lower plastic cover of the transmission shift cables; Next, undo the (3) 12mm bolts holding the shift cable bracket in place; Next, move the shift cable bracket out of the way and undo the (3 or 4) 10mm bolts holding the upper plastic cover for the shift cables in place. You should now have a clear view of the starter from underneath...
From above, look down the gap between the throttle-body, the air-cleaner, and the coolant-overflow bottle...you'll see a 10mm bolt on a bracket that holds the positive battery cable just before it bolts to the upper side of the solenoid...remove that bolt to get a little free-play in the cable. Pry off the rubber cap exposing the 12mm nut holding the battery cable to the solenoid...yup de-nut-n-undo it. Unplug the single-wire ignition wire right next to that cable while you're there.
From below again, loosen the lower 17mm starter mounting bolt. You'll need an 8-10 extension for your socket to "feel your way" to the upper 17m bolt. Crack it, remove it. Note: There's an electrical bundle in a plastic shroud that lays fairly close to the top of the starter, but is pliable enough to wiggle the socket under to get to the upper bolt. Once the upper bolt is out, finish removing the lower bolt. Starter should now be loose and able to be removed down through your workspace. Head for the work bench...

There are plenty of videos online on replacing the elements in the solenoid. Seriously, it takes 10 minutes... Try www.nationsautoelectric.com for your parts and video...

Rebuild the solenoid, reverse procedures and replace. Chances are, putting her back together will go a little faster for you... She'll love you for it.

-or-

You can pay someone to do it for you...(but that's another section...)

Best, QD

Back