• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dreaming for 21 years

Hi All,

I love NSX since 1991, mostly because of Ayrton Senna and a F-16 Fighter. Although, someone thinks that the NSX is just an Japanese Ferrari, but I was never a fan of a Ferrari. Have been looking for an 91-97 NSX and diving around this forum for a couple years,test drive some, never really found one and own one. I like a classic NSX, no mods and every OEM. Like my currently 2003 Impreza RS, my daily drive, everything from Subaru, 150k miles, drive straight and smooth.

Long story short, came across a 1991 Silver with 94k miles nearby(good condition, properly maintained), checked out and tested, ready to buy. While planning to get my mechanic to do a final check, it was sold to another previous NSX owner with $25000 cash in hand. Sigh.......

I like the NSX to be original, hopefully no race, no mods, no snap ring and maintenace done properly and per schedule. I planned to keep it as a part of my faimly, take care of it and keep it as original. I just feel that the car has a spirit. Don't know if I am picky or not, but there are plenty of posts on the marketplace, nothing really caught my eye or really fit preference, or may be far away....

I do want a white, but silver, green, midnight pearl is fine, may be a black but no red.

I believe most of you own one and have been around, am I looking for something rare? or any suggestion for hunting one under my preference? Do you know someone who might be selling one like the one I am looking for?

Any suggestion are really appreciated, thanks!

Welcome!
I bought my nsx from underneath another member on this forum who was waiting to have an inspection done on the car. My advice, when you find one you like, pull the trigger...

Thanks for all the suggestion!

Anyone else who might know there is a potential seller for GPW NSX?

I have a buddy that is selling his GPW 93 with 70K miles and LarryB worked on has all the paperwork for it. its in Orlando Florida clean title mint

Nice but insanely overpriced

Given the year and mileage, what would you pay for it? Assuming it's perfect condition as the post describes.

Nice but insanely overpriced

I don't think it is, 25k miles is very low for a '97... Assuming that this car is in very good condition I would expect this car to sell in less than a week if it was properly advertised.

Let's say that you want your car to have the 3.2L engine with 6 speed transmission (NA2) and you prefer pop up headlights, there were only 52 of those made with both, black and tan interiors. How many of those cars do you think you will find with under 30k miles? I would be surprised if there were more than 5...

This is called supply and demand :D.

Last edited:
I guess not insanely overpriced... but at some point, low mileage stops counting unless the purchaser is buying it as a collector. This thing books for around that price...and this is a very hard to find color combo + year, but I personally would not offer more than $40k. Only because I know I could find an abundance of '97+ with sub 60K mileage between $37k - $46k. There are '02's for around $47k (give or take a couple grand) with 50k miles out there. You asked what I would offer for it.

And I didnt read that shinjyo was necessarily looking for an NSX with less than 25k miles on it. You are right given the supply and demand aspect..especially if the demand is for a 3.2 NSX w/less than 25k. But most people don't care if it has 25k or 55k. And from what I've read on prime, most would rather pay the same amount for a newer model with more mileage, than for an older model given the same mileage.

Last edited:
Welcome to Prime and NSX - world! My advice would be to be patient and get something you want that fits your requirements -- as someone said, if it is remotely what you want then you should pull the trigger --- I've noticed lately that good clean original NSX's don't hang around long. For what it's worth, I started with a good clean 91 that had all the records -- found out how much I REALLY love this car, and ultimately found a 01 with low miles, and pulled the trigger on that one (and with great sadness let my 01 go.)

These are really great automobiles - and not many really nice ones around - so, if you find one you feel comfortable with, go for it and enjoy the great NSX experience! Keep us posted with your search, and good luck! Jay

WELCOME TO PRIME..... I was looking for years for one but once I finally had the money I couldn't seem to find one that was exactly what I wanted. Until I saw Jay's 91'. Thanks Jay. Is that a picture of the 01' being loaded up?

-Alec

Yes Alec -- that was the delivery of my 01 from the Boston area - a pretty good morning for me :smile: . Very similar happy experience that I know you had when you got my 91 NSX - could see your excitement about getting you hands on this great car. Glad to see it go to a great guy too.

NSX!!!! :smile:

welcome to the club of long time dreamers to turn into hopeful owner.

im sure yours will come; all the best with the search!

Thanks for all such kindly advice.

For these years, I had test driven a 04, 97, 93 and 91, the best drive is 91, I would agree the condition and proper maintenance really matters. In fact, the worst was the 04....haha

I was suggested by other primers to start off 97+ since it has a lightly better structure and lighter weight. But personally, the black top is my preference since it makes me feel very classic.

For my budget being around $30k, I believe I don't have that much option here but to go with something before 97 and slight higher mileage.

Like all of you said, be patient, I have faith to find the right one, then pull the trigger.

P.S. All colors looks good on NSX, but somehow, every time I see a GPW, I will stare at the picture and my heart keeps burning, that makes me really want to fire the bullet into a GPW NSX.

Welcome and good luck with your search! If you haven't already found it, make sure you check out the NSX Wiki (off the red action bar at the top of most pages) for lots of useful NSX-related information, including a sectino on buying an NSX. It's a work in progress but lots of good stuff there for new owners.

I was suggested by other primers to start off 97+ since it has a lightly better structure and lighter weight. But personally, the black top is my preference since it makes me feel very classic.

For my budget being around $30k, I believe I don't have that much option here but to go with something before 97 and slight higher mileage.

The GPW is a great looking color on the NSX. Next car I have as a daily driver will be white, for sure.

I just bought my first NSX. Not many in the midwest, so when I found one in Indiana that was within my price range (Red/black 1991 with 100k miles on it, good condition, good maintenance record) I didn't mess around.

Gave that guy cash the next day, inspected it myself and drove it away.

I understand your desire to have an older one. Believe me, I've driven a 2002, and I hated some things about it. For one, the steering wasn't as good as the 1991 that I have - electric power steering is not for me. On top of that, the electronic throttle isn't as smooth either. Harder to drive slowly, practically impossible to cruise in first gear smoothly, have to drop it into 2nd (not an issue, just something I am particular about)I have a TSX as my daily driver, and I hate the throttle in it as well. Can't even really cruise in 2nd gear in that thing, throttle is so binary it drives me nuts.

My 1991 NSX is just so mechanical, it feels so classically early nineties and it was how Senna wanted it. It was before Honda tried to modify the car to make it stay up with the times, no power steering, just a cable actuated throttle... popup headlights and all - just so much fun to drive. I can drive it just as smoothly as the best automatic out there, something the fiance likes :smile:

Stay in there, I dreamt of owning one for 17 years before I was able to get one. Going to get married in August, made sure to buy it before then :smile:

Sorry about your "missed opportunity" but as soon as you mentioned silver 91, I immediately look at your avatar to see if you from socal. TADA!!

It was one of my good friend who was a step faster. But give him a break because he has been missing for the longest time with an Automatic. Perhaps, you should meet him someday. :biggrin::biggrin:

\Be patient and don't settle for anything less, and pull trigger right away when you find the closest example of what you are looking for. Good luck on your search.

Thanks HGL1668, I don't know any primer in person, but i guess I know who bought the car. No worry, i missed not because of him, I missed because I am still not sure at time moment.

No doubt, it is a very good condition one, just make sure he is aware that The timing belt and water pump had not been replaced since 33,000 miles, and the suspension is OEM. But i still think that it is better then the clutch and A/C is still original.

Yea, hope we will meet one day. :)

Hey Shinjyo, I guess my timing was spot on. Delivered my 95 Auto Saturday afternoon, actually found the ad on Prime while driving home. Texted the seller. He responded and said "yes, it's available, but lots of interest". And it was local. How lucky is that???? I asked to view it that night, but we settled on the morning. At that point, he had not mentioned that someone else had viewed the car. I drove the car and knew immediately that I wanted it. I am very happy so far and expect to enjoy it as much as my last one. I was prepared to have to wait some time to find my new love. I guess it was meant to be. I couldn't see myself without one now. I'm sorry that I was the one to do that to you... Keep up the search because the "good ones" do come up for sale. Do let a little higher price stop you because it'll hold it's value. This might be the best engineered car to have been produced. I think you already know this. Find one and join in on the drives. Lots of fun and a great group of people!

Ya, is this John guy above that took your love. Now, go find him. I cannot believe he has the gut to post.:biggrin:

Hey Shinjyo, I guess my timing was spot on. Delivered my 95 Auto Saturday afternoon, actually found the ad on Prime while driving home. Texted the seller. He responded and said "yes, it's available, but lots of interest". And it was local. How lucky is that???? I asked to view it that night, but we settled on the morning. At that point, he had not mentioned that someone else had viewed the car. I drove the car and knew immediately that I wanted it. I am very happy so far and expect to enjoy it as much as my last one. I was prepared to have to wait some time to find my new love. I guess it was meant to be. I couldn't see myself without one now. I'm sorry that I was the one to do that to you... Keep up the search because the "good ones" do come up for sale. Do let a little higher price stop you because it'll hold it's value. This might be the best engineered car to have been produced. I think you already know this. Find one and join in on the drives. Lots of fun and a great group of people!

No, he is actually very nice, girls love him.

No, John, I am very happy you get it since I believe you definitely know more than me, I am sure the NSX will be taken care of and better with you than me.

Although, I have been looking for a white, I like this silver one but I wasn't so sure at that moment and that's why I went back and think about it on Saturday noon.

Have fun, enjoy it and I will see you around. :smile:

Welcome!
I bought my nsx from underneath another member on this forum who was waiting to have an inspection done on the car. My advice, when you find one you like, pull the trigger...

I agree. Have the finances in check, do your research, trust your gut but don't hum and haw over it or it will be gone before you have a chance.

I bought a 1991 all original, fully maintenanced, 2 owner, 65k, red in November. It was listed for a mere 1 hr on Craigslist before I saw it. I called the owner and made the offer, setup a PPI for the next day. Sent deposit that day then drove 10 hours to pick it up by the end of the week.

Like all things in life; timing is everything.

For these years, I had test driven a 04, 97, 93 and 91, the best drive is 91, I would agree the condition and proper maintenance really matters. In fact, the worst was the 04....haha

Like all of you said, be patient, I have faith to find the right one, then pull the trigger.

P.S. All colors looks good on NSX, but somehow, every time I see a GPW, I will stare at the picture and my heart keeps burning, that makes me really want to fire the bullet into a GPW NSX.

Well Shinjyo I had a similar situation back in 1997 when I was passing by near a friends dealership when I saw a gorgeous bright red X parked on sidewalk. So I quickly made a
u-turn to inquire and was told that owner wanted to sell it asap due to an upcoming divorce. They tried to call for price but no answer. I ran my erand then returned an hr later which was an hr to late!!! It was sold for $19,000 cash.
It haunted me for14yrs!!! Until last year while attending a dealers auction there was my GPW
" Unicorn " galloping down the lane.. So I quickly call my buddy Mike (Dynamic-uzed-auto) prime member to ask for some dyi inspection. gave me a quick wiki 101 and told me to pull the trigger.
Let me tell you! That's the best shot that I've ever taken and never looked back. So be patient and it will come to you, but good luck...

Last edited:
Hey Shinjyo, I didn't post to rub anything in or say I knew more than you. Buying a used car is always a risk, no matter what kind of car it is. I was just willing to take the risk. I realize that the car is not perfect, but it met my standards. In fact, I've already discovered that the AC control is acting up. Anyway, as I said before, get one so you can join the meet ups. I saw your other post. How'd I go?

Back