• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drive it or ship?????????

I'm buying a 2000 NSX from a guy in So. Cal. It's going to go through PPI this week. (4/9/06)........My question, should I fly out and drive it back, or have it shipped?....my heart says drive....mind says ship.
I live in the New Orleans La. metro area, (no, we're not underwater, but rebuilding is overwhelming due to the scope) about an 1800 mi. drive. (car has only 18,000 on it now)
I'm counting on current owners for good advice, I've wanted an NSX since
"91", and just now financially able.......Thanks

UPDATE!
WOW!!!.... talk about instant feedback! I am absolutely sold on driving, thanks for confirming what I was feeling.
I'll start a new thread and post lots of pics from the road.
Thanks for the responses, I feel like part of a new brotherhood, and look forward to meeting fellow owners at events...till then

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

******I drove it and very glad I did ......pics and story on this forum....called from L.A. to La......funnest car ever made... **********

Last edited:
Is the car going to be a garage queen for you?

If yes, then ship it. Or else with such a long drive, expect rock chips from freeway driving.

It's going to be a fun drive if you do plan on driving it back home though.

I drove mine from Santa Barbara to North Carolina when we moved. I was going to ship it, but I thought it would be a blast to drive. I made the right choice. It was great.

I didn't get any rock chips.

Drive it...

If you have the time and inclination, I would drive. I mean, isn't that what you're buying the car for... to drive??? I could think of no better way to spend my time than getting to know the car on that long trip home. :)

I live in Silicon Valley. I purchased mine from Aristocrat Motors just outside of Kansas City in Nov 03'. I drove 2200 miles home in 2 1/2 days. Most fun I've had in ten years. Pick your spots and open her up. Take a radar detector and just be on the look out for law enforcement they can still use "instant on" radar.

I never had more attention whenever we would stop for food or gas. I was always getting compliments.
This also helps you get the bug out of your system..once I got home I was happy to let her sit in the driveway for a few days and let the neighbors admire it.

Think of it as an adventure, what we all should live for.

Have a great time!!

gene said:
........................(no, we're not underwater, but rebuilding is overwhelming due to the scope).............................

Fly out there and drive it back. You will enjoy the drive and it will be a nice refreshing break for you.

I agree with the others that you should drive it home. I-10 is a nice road, it's smooth and relatively light on traffic. I drove my '91 from Houston to Sacramento and it was a GREAT experience. I didn't get rock chips, either.

Oh, and the gas mileage will be a pleasant surprise. :smile:

Drive it...........Have fun......Don't worry.......Steve

My 1991 had 38k miles when I bought it. Thats about 2500 miles a year. I put about the same on the drive back from Chicago to SF. I waited 2 months for the shipping company and than just gave up on them and picked it up. It was the best long drive I ever made and suprisingly comfortable. I say you do it and have fun along the way. By the way congrats on you new NSX

Drove my 98 from Dallas to Mpls and had the chance to get to know the car. No regrets. Very comfortable, great mileage, lots of thumbs up, a positive experience.

I drove my 91 NSx (70k miles) home from Houston to North Carolina in rain most of the time, 1200 miles in 18 hours and had a great time.

Drove a Pantera from San Diego to Pensacola 36 hours 15 minutes.

I have heard to many horror stories about shipping cars and these days with cell phones and AAA...go for it!

One recommendation, check your oil/water during gas stops...this is a year's worth of driving (on some vehicles).

Drive it. The NSX is a great long road ride. I've never driven a more comfortable car long distance.

Drive it, but skip the interstates. I-XX is one crashing bore, but the 2-lane highways are a blast.

I took mine on a trip from Colorado to NY and back in the summer of '04 and stuck to the back roads. They are less crowded, and while not grananteed free of cops, I never came across a radar trap in 4200 miles of driving.

I always wanted to be certain that I was well in front of whatever I was passing, especially since that REQUIRED winding out 3rd gear.

These vehicles are ment to be driven -- so drive it already!

I just bought my 1st NSX in January 2006 and also wanted one since 1991. I had mine shipped (from Minnesota to SC) because a friend of own's a car transport company and I got a awesome deal that it why I shipped it. But, when I bought it in January I did not want to deal with the weather and snow with the 1200 mile drive. If I would have bought it in warmer weather I would have DONE THE DRIVE without question. So, it time is not an issue DRIVE IT and you will love it.

I just bought a brand new NSX and drove it from Chicago to San Diego. This is my 3rd NSX and I drove through wind, rain and snow in 2 1/2 days! I didn't drive all interstate either. You won't regret it. I put 2400 miles on it and after 3 weeks, I have 3100 miles. The mileage through the entire trip was almost 26 mpg! The most comfortable long distance car I have ever had. Good luck.

Ok I'll be the black sheep, I shipped mine but if you don't mind driving it then go for it. :smile:

I used Exotic Car Transport when i Had my NSX shipped from Florida to Michigan. They weren't too expensive and just took a few days.

neilh said:
And if you do mind driving, why buy a NSX?

No one minds driving their nsx......I am not into driving 1200 miles back to where I live. I had my trucked in a closed container like some other people here. I enjoy driving my car on the weekends and it makes me appreciate the car more when I don't drive it for a few days at the time.

Drive it back. I've had the good fortune of bringing two back home with me. Kansas /Montreal/Toronto, and Alabama/Montreal. Both were great drives, and the looks you get!!!:biggrin:

Back