• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

FIX It Up OR Sell "As is"

Hello Friends,
Here is my dilemma.... I am ready to sell my '92 NSX to a good home. I had my NSX Factory Trained Expert mechanic evaluate the car and he came up with a list of repairs that totaled about $3,000 to $5,000. He told me that the car could sell "as-is" maybe in the low to mid $40's and if fixed up and detailed maybe in the low $50's.

I am the first and only original owner of this Silver 99% stock 1992 NSX with 70,000 miles. I do not have all of the service records, but do have the original NSX hardback book that was issued to new owners back in 1992. I am located in the Daytona Beach, FL area.

So, what are your thoughts? Fix it or Sell it?

Many thanks to you all, my brothers (and sisters).

-- Michael

Without seeing the car or it's condition I'd say a 1992 with 70K miles is going to be worth a fair amount more than $50K. I would lean toward fixing it up before selling it, but would be interested to know what repairs need to be done.

I am also of the opinion to fix it and document with records. Who knows how much the "trouble" is worth to the new owner in regards to having to fix those odds and ends. It's a much cleaner purchase for the buyer (in my opinion) if all known issues are addressed. What are the repairs that need to be done?

You're also the 1st owner, which means a lot to some folks.

Good luck!

I'm guessing your mechanic is referring to doing the timing belt/water pump service and replacing hoses and gaskets. Please share what "repairs" he is recommending.

Have you seen the very detailed market analysis created by one of our forum members? Click the link in the first post here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/199875-Gen1-NSX-Current-Market-Analysis

It gives a value of approximately $55k for a 70k mile NA1 manual. An original owner, no accident and all stock NSX should fetch a slight premium over that as well.

I agree with the posts above. There’s value in being an original owner, if you’ve taken care of it this far might as well drop the $3-5k in service that can bring in a better return.

There are (DIY) guys out there that are more interested in a car with some (minor or usual) repairs needed than an already fixed car. But only if the price is right. A list of your trained tech is an insurance against lowballers.

Hello Friends,
Here is my dilemma.... I am ready to sell my '92 NSX to a good home. I had my NSX Factory Trained Expert mechanic evaluate the car and he came up with a list of repairs that totaled about $3,000 to $5,000. He told me that the car could sell "as-is" maybe in the low to mid $40's and if fixed up and detailed maybe in the low $50's.

-- Michael

Right there is your problem. Mechanics usually don't know the retail value of cars. Take a look at what comparable cars have sold for online at www.classic.com You'll see you are leaving a lot of money on the table.

Here is the list of Proposed Repairs

Here is the list of proposed repairs after my NSX mechanic performed an all-day evaluation:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]NSXProposed Repairs: May 2021[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1992NSX, manual transmission, 70,000 miles. One-owner vehicle. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My NSXexpert mechanic said this after evaluating the car: - “It was inbetter condition than I thought it would be”[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Listof needed repairs:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The timing belt has been replaced, but we do not know the year it was serviced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The trunk lid and engine cover struts should be replaced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Airbag SRS control unit to be replaced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The knee bolster under the steering wheel should be replaced for cosmetic purposes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Fix the clutch due to minor seepage around the clutch master cylinder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Right axle inner boot has a small grease leak[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Front valve cover gasket seeping a small amount [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tail light seal is not tight and could allow water into trunk[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The power seemed a bit low, might be spark plugs and coil issue[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tachometer not functioning; that circiut board should be replaced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Car drives “bouncy” so replace the shocks and struts all around[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Radio mast does not extend fully- just replace the mast, not motor. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Flush the fluids[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Slight paint damage on front left bumper[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Some minor scratches on side panels[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tires are almost new[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A/C is very cold[/FONT]

Does this sound like a $3,000 to $5,000 repair project. I'm aware that additional items can be found in the course of the repairs.
So, would you Fix & Sell or just Sell?

I do appreciate everyone who has contributed to this thread to help me with this big decision! Thank you, one and all!

- Michael

Does this sound like a $3,000 to $5,000 repair project. I'm aware that additional items can be found in the course of the repairs.

I do appreciate everyone who has contributed to this thread to help me with this big decision! Thank you, one and all!

- Michael
That are pretty normal things while the NSX ages.
The most terrifying ones are the SRS control unit and the Tachometer circuit board. Some repaired these (like me) and some dealers sell new ones (expensive, availability?).
I can't comment on the body shop work needed, just on the tech part. The stated amount to fix that is quite reasonable.

- Michael

Sounds about right and you can buy many of the parts from SOS. As aforementioned BrianK can repair the circuit boards. If you spend the $5k you'll certainly get it back when you sell the car. If you don't do the repairs you are going to loss more than $5k as buyers will see that the car has been neglected for a long time. The body stuff may be rectified with a good pain correction.

Here is the list of proposed repairs after my NSX mechanic performed an all-day evaluation:

- Michael

Some of my thoughts in blue. You're probably a little north of $5,000 with this stuff.

The timing belt has been replaced, but we do not know the year it was serviced
This is probably the primary issue for most unsophisticated buyers. I'd have the service done, since you can add a premium to the price.
The trunk lid and engine cover struts should be replaced
Airbag SRS control unit to be replaced
This could be an issue. I'm pretty sure the 92 control unit is discontinued. It may still be available from Honda Japan.
The knee bolster under the steering wheel should be replaced for cosmetic purposes
Fix the clutch due to minor seepage around the clutch master cylinder
You should also replace the slave cylinder. If the master is leaking, the slave is not far behind.
Right axle inner boot has a small grease leak
Front valve cover gasket seeping a small amount
Tail light seal is not tight and could allow water into trunk
The power seemed a bit low, might be spark plugs and coil issue
I would have a compression and leakdown test performed to rule out any deeper issues. Assuming it tests out good, that's additional documentation you can use to charge a premium for the car.
I would haveyour tech test the coils and perhaps replace the ignitor.

Tachometer not functioning; that circiut board should be replaced
This could be tricky also, since the tacho board is discontinued. You can send it out to T3TEC or BrianK for repair. Figure $250-$500
Car drives “bouncy” so replace the shocks and struts all around
Agree you should replace it- it will make the car feel really nice and new to buyers. A replacement 92 suspension is about $2,000. Discontinued at Acura, but Marc at MITA Motorsports has them in Japan.
Radio mast does not extend fully- just replace the mast, not motor.
Flush the fluids
Slight paint damage on front left bumper
Some minor scratches on side panels
I would pay have a full paint correction and detail performed. It's amazing what a good detailer can do to these old cars. It's also a testament to Honda's paint quality. Buyers eat with their eyes, so you want to make the car look as good as possible. Maybe consider replacing the black wheel liners too- it really makes a difference.
Tires are almost new
A/C is very cold

Right there is your problem. Mechanics usually don't know the retail value of cars. Take a look at what comparable cars have sold for online at www.classic.com You'll see you are leaving a lot of money on the table.

Agree 100%

The NSX valuation tool linked earlier is probably the most accurate out there right now. Many NSX Prime members have even used it to assist with setting agreed value insurance policies.

Thank you to everyone kind enough to post their thoughts. Very helpful!
I will take your advice and "Fix it" before I try to sell it :)

-- Michael

Good luck with the sale. If you do all of the above list items, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for $75,000. You should also consider re-covering your seats if there is bolster wear- it's another major ding for buyers. Makes the car look old/tired. You can get the new skins here: https://www.leatherseats.com/shop/1991-2005-acura-nsx-black-pkg.html

I used them on my 91 and they were fantastic. Just have a auto or boat upholstery shop install them for you.

Hopefully a Prime member gets this car! I'd love to see it here.

UPDATE: I took the advice of my NSX Prime friends and have had my '92 NSX mechanically reviewed and all necessary repairs have been made by Florida's premier NSX mechanic. Car runs great :)
HONCHO: I was just about to list my car on Bring A Trailer.com when I re-read your last post about re-covering the seats. Now, I am seriously considering putting new leathers on the seats.... maybe Black with Grey inserts. If you take a look at the two interior photos attached, do you think that a new leather interior will make a significant addition to the value? If so, what color combo would you recommend?

Thanks!
- Michael

Attachments

• NSX 075.jpg
    NSX 075.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 27
  • NSX 885 Driver side.jpg
    NSX 885 Driver side.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 25
  • a NSX 925 Front .jpg
    a NSX 925 Front .jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 26
  • a NSX 906 Grey BG .jpg
    a NSX 906 Grey BG .jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 21
  • a NSX 899 Grey Side.jpg
    a NSX 899 Grey Side.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 25
You are in that 'space' where purchasers may be looking for original condition if you are seeking close to the top end of the market value. The driver's side bolster wear is pretty normal. If those are just surface cracks I would be inclined to use something like Scuffmaster leather dye by Gliptone rather than do a recover. The driver side bolster on my 2000 was similarly marked up and I applied Scuffmaster back in 2012. The bolsters still look good 10 years later.

If that is a tear in the passenger side seat back then that is a bigger issue. That may materially alter value or discourage purchasers looking for near perfect. OEM seat backs may or may not be available. No longer listed in North America; but, Amayama does appear to list a part; but, with a different number. Contacting Mita Motorsports might be the best way to determine availability. If you go with a non OEM repair the leather is likely not going to match so you are likely into a complete recover of both seats. Whether you will recoup the cost of a complete seat recover is an unknown. For a knowledgeable purchaser, aftermarket leather covers will likely be obvious and might detract from the potential selling price.

For a tear, there might be repair rather than replace options. Perhaps investigate those. A good repair may not restore the car to the value it would have with perfect OEM seats; but, it may avoid the 'turn off' factor of an obvious rip. You get to be the judge of where the optimum value resides.

I agree try to restore original seats

original patina is always more acceptable than new aftermarket when it comes to original high end cars.

Hard to tell from the photo, but how bad are the seats? I'd attack them with Leatherique. Mine looked worse than that - They look and feel like brand new after an enthusiastic Leatherique treatment. Use your hands to really rub it in when it's warm out, and you won't believe how that old and cracked leather comes back. Then do it once or twice a year. (Also, get a good windshield sunshade.)

UPDATE: I took the advice of my NSX Prime friends and have had my '92 NSX mechanically reviewed and all necessary repairs have been made by Florida's premier NSX mechanic. Car runs great :)
HONCHO: I was just about to list my car on Bring A Trailer.com when I re-read your last post about re-covering the seats. Now, I am seriously considering putting new leathers on the seats.... maybe Black with Grey inserts. If you take a look at the two interior photos attached, do you think that a new leather interior will make a significant addition to the value? If so, what color combo would you recommend?

Thanks!
- Michael
Wow the car turned out quite beautiful! I would re-cover the seats with the original black/black color. You've worked so hard to make it original, there's no sense in going for a kustom color look on the seats at this point.

With 30-year old leather, all of the attempts to restore the original covers end up disappointing. They look good in pictures, but when you get close up in person, they still have that "tired" patina. The new leather really pops.

Back