• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving Ambition Goes Racing.

Hi Everyone,
Today is race day @ Sears Point. Steve is qualified 5th in ITE with a very good chance of moving up. Kip is qualifying @ 9:55 am. Steve has two races today one @ 10:30 and the other @ 3:30. Kip’s race is @ 3:00. Take a drive and come visit. There is no cost to get in just sign @ the gate. We are pitted at the north end of the garages close to the winner circle.
Cheers, Shad

Re: What a weekend.

Shad, good to see the car's back on pace after Friday's disaster. Steve should have taken his victory lap and be in impound at this very minute. :cool: And how did the Kipster do? we're on the edge of our seats. We need a live feed.

I would be there and would know all this if we hadn't qualified so poorly yesterday due to a bad coil (or 2). My renta-ride hot shoe was so discouraged (both with himself and the car), he's already on the plane home to Indy. :frown:

See you at the next one. :wink:

Re: Oh no, not again !!!

Kip Results: DNF on lap 4

http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=759854 Group 3 Class SP

Steve Results: DNF in lap 7

http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=759847 Group 1 Class ITE

Tough luck guys. What can we do? have a Prime prayer meeting/seance on Wednesday before the next race?? :confused: :eek:

The car has tuns of potential.

I believe Steve would have made a strong finish if we didn't run into a minor cooling problem.

Kip was in Second place with about an 7sec lead over third when he came in.

For what I saw there are only a few cars that are going to be competition.
The grid positions are indication of this. Steve was 6th and Kip was second.

Next time I'm sure the results will be much better.

Later,
Don

What problems caused the dnf's?:frown:

The car has tuns of potential.

I believe Steve would have made a strong finish if we didn't run into a minor cooling problem.

What cooling problem? High water or oil temps? What are the details there? I had a similar issue this past weekend.

For what I saw there are only a few cars that are going to be competition.

That's never any fun. Might consider a spec miata.... :tongue:

What cooling problem?.............. Might consider a spec miata.... :tongue:

I was at Shads Monday with Dave and it looks like another motor for Steve but Shad said this motors been beat on for 4 years.

TiDave and I were sharing his car doing a track day weekend at THill. We lost the front intake cam/head on the I5 drive home :redface:
I was going to take some pics but some things are just better not posted.

We don't want the NSX to lose the Honda reliability illusion :smile:

I think that's 4 motors for Dave and just 1 motor last year for me but I've only been at it for a year+ so :frown:

I think the "spec miata" thing would be cool and they only cost ~1 NSX motor rebuild :cool: and at the Track only one had a bad wheel bearing the rest were just tearing it up.

I was at Shads Monday with Dave and it looks like another motor for Steve but Shad said this motors been beat on for 4 years.

TiDave and I were sharing his car doing a track day weekend at THill. We lost the front intake cam/head on the I5 drive home :redface:
I was going to take some pics but some things are just better not posted.

We don't want the NSX to lose the Honda reliability illusion :smile:

I think that's 4 motors for Dave and just 1 motor last year for me but I've only been at it for a year+ so :frown:

OMG!!! I am so sorry to hear that guys!! :frown: :mad:

You'll have to give me the 411 then.

I think the "spec miata" thing would be cool and they only cost ~1 NSX motor rebuild :cool: and at the Track only one had a bad wheel bearing the rest were just tearing it up.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I could have had ten of them by now- my front yard would look like one of the national guys like Dave M's... but then the sound of the NSX coming into the chicane.... WAAAA.... bop bop.... bop bop.... WAAAA....WAAA.... WA..heavenly!!!

It will take two weeks to wipe the smile off my face!! :biggrin:

Last edited:
The NSX can be very reliable.
I have a little more than 107K miles and over 100 track day on my car.

Later,
Don

Daves car went 6k miles street with I think 4 Track days :frown:

I wouldnt doubt that a stock powered NSX could suffer oil starvation on a track that does the engine in, especially if it has Rcomps on and an aggressive suspension.

I wouldnt doubt that a stock powered NSX could suffer oil starvation on a track that does the engine in, especially if it has Rcomps on and an aggressive suspension.

Oil starvation due to high-G turns in a myth.

If it wasn't a myth, then all cars with "Rcomps" and "aggressive suspension" would fail, and that's not the case.

Do you not think the engineers would have considered that customers might want to modify their cars with sticky tires and suspension upgrades?

Is it? I think we have seen a few prime examples here on PRIME. I believe that it takes a specific corner, maybe bank, a high rate of speed and some bad luck, and I have no idea myself if it is left or right, upside down or whatever, but I believe that we have seen some examples of oil starvation take out an engine. Ask Ti Dave. Ask Jeff Shoots. Ask Shad.

If it wasn't a myth, then all cars with "Rcomps" and "aggressive suspension" would fail, and that's not the case.

Do you not think the engineers would have considered that customers might want to modify their cars with sticky tires and suspension upgrades?
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38525&highlight=oil+starvation
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72557&highlight=oil+starvation+track

We've rebuilt 4 engines from this exact problem. All the cars had racing tires and were on tracks with high lateral G forces.

Honda has since made improvements to the oil pan design on high performance later model cars such as the S2000 which has baffling built into the pans to protect against oil surge.

This all is getting a bit off topic though. The thread should be dedicated to the good work the guys are doing up in California!

thanks,
-- Chris

Daves car went 6k miles street with I think 4 Track days :frown:

More like 6 days on the track, but there is no point in "Monday morning Quarterbacking" this one. Pretty sure this had nothing to do with oil starvation, motor has a baffled oil pan and Accusump on it. Plus, the motor was built with forged pistons and loose bearing tolerances to help keep it together, plus Web cams, SOS springs, retainers and valves. The motor was coming out any way to fix a leaking head gasket, I am running close to 10 lb. boost with a 2.3L Whipple blower. We don't really have any idea what happened...but the set up is far from stock.

Shad has the car right now, hope he has a chance to drop the motor and take a look inside soon. Then we have something to talk about...

They will last for ever if you don't drive them!!!:wink:

Re: Back on topic

This all is getting a bit off topic though. The thread should be dedicated to the good work the guys are doing up in California!
low 1:40's. yeah, I'm impressed. :eek: Check your personal times from NSXPO 03 if you've forgotten how quick that is.

Not to mention, that's some mighty big ass to be hauling around Infineon at open wheel and sports racer times. :biggrin:

Re: Back on topic

A plug on one of the coolant lines failed. Very minor.

Sorry to hear. :frown:

low 1:40's. yeah, I'm impressed. :eek: Check your personal times from NSXPO 03 if you've forgotten how quick that is.

Not to mention, that's some mighty big ass to be hauling around Infineon at open wheel and sports racer times. :biggrin:

According to trackpedia a GT3 RSR ran a 1:34.263

If anyone cares to share- what is the power/scale weight of the Driving Ambition - Acura ITE NSX? What tires/brakes were you running on?

Shad has the car right now, hope he has a chance to drop the motor and take a look inside soon. Then we have something to talk about...

Damn, I though the car we were driving was stock Dave :biggrin:

I'm just posting to get an update.

Shad, what's up with Steve's car :smile:

Back