• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving Pet Peeves

I agree with all but this one. The Interstate system was designed for slower traffic to use the right lane. To help drive the point home there are signs conspicuously posted that state "slow traffic keep right". If there is no traffic a driver should get right because they are the slowest traffic. If I'm in the far right lane cruising along and come up on a car in the middle lane I'm not gonna make two lane changes to go to the far left lane to pass, I'm gonna stay in the right lane and continue on about my business. Basically if I can get around you on the right you should have been right.

OK, fair enough. Maybe I should have qualified this further. I was talking about the situation where I am in the middle lane, coming up on a slower car in the right lane, and I'm not quite up to it yet, maybe 5 car-lengths from it or so, and the @$$hole going 20 over speed limit (or more) chicanes between us even if the left lane is completely open.

And yes, I have made two lane changes from the right lane to the far left lane to pass a slower car in the middle lane, although I must admit not as often as I might imply here.

People who drive an automatic with two feet. Meaning their left foot is always on the brake pedal. You never know when they are going to stop because their brake lights are always on.

1st:
-pure lazy people not returning shopping carts to their respective locations.

What happens: these carts dent other people's cars. 100% unacceptable. Period.

2nd:
-Drivers WITH the right of way "being nice" to drivers WITHOUT the right of way and letting them proceed first

What happens: the driver "being nice" ends up getting rear-ended because they are not following the rules of the road.

Honourable Mention:
-people spending a few extra minutes for a "close" parking spot

What happens: ends up taking much more time to park, saves 20 meters of walking (God forbid walking!)

As of this morning:

-People trying to drive on tires not made for cold weather, and who get stuck at a basic intersection because they cannot get any grip yet proceed to mash the throttle in an effort to go and manage only to slide from side to side, thus blocking all traffic behind them.

So let me tell you about my ride to work this morning...

- People stopping at a "keep moving" sign.
- Agree with improperly adjusted mirrors. Do you really need to see your car doors?
- double left turn lanes and driver next to you cuts you off or murges into you.

When it is raining and the only cars I see doing 90 mph on the freeway are Priuses that in 5 min I pass because they lost control and found something to plow into.

See that with trucks and ice/snow.

Pacing. With 2 or more lanes going same way 2 idiots will take up both lanes with a 0.0002 mph difference and you are stuck behind both of them. Neither one will speed up or slow down enough to either make the damn pass (not that they would have enough brains to do that & get back in 1 lane) or open up a big enough gap for you to get between & through both of them.

Resurrecting an old thread I started.

Here's my new custom bumper sticker I ordered from one of those interweb places that allow you to submit a personalized message. It's on my DD Pilot.

- Temporary orange construction zone “lane ends, merge (right or left)” signs that are not taken down when the lane doesn’t really end, teaching drivers to ignore the merge sign and always wait until the last possible second to merge.

Actually, this is the correct way to navigate a zipper merge. It's all the others that are doing it wrong and making traffic worse.

The beauty of zipper merging, or why you should drive ruder

Back