• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drove a F355...My driving impressions compared to NSX

Last weekend I was fortunate enough to test drive a 1995 355. I'd like to share my driving impressions. Based on the driving experience, the 355 is similar to the NSX in its power delivery. Both cars have a low end torque deficiency, and the motor's sweet spot starts at around 4000-4500 rpm and continues to pull til redline. Test driving the 355, I wasn't really able to go crazy around the turns to test handling, but the 355 is very agile and tossable- steering was very tight ,responsive, straight to the point, and go kart like just like the nsx. The 355 is little more difficult to drive compared to the NSX. The 355 clutch and gas pedal is much heavier, and the gated shifter can really be a PITA, but i'm sure it just takes some time getting used to. Shifting from first to second is clunky..but so is the NSX. The interior is roomy and open, and lacks the jet cockpit atmosphere of the NSX. The 355 also sits a little higher , so you don't have to avoid the driveways and speedbumps so much like you do in the NSX. Call me crazy, but comparing both cars' performance, the NSX feels faster and more powerful. I was able to unwind the 355 to its 8500 redline in 1st through 4th gear, and based on the experience, the NSX pulled much harder, with more response, especially in the lower RPM's. I was expecting so much more from the 355, and in the end, I was sort of the disappointed by the 355's lack of power. Despite the lack of power, the 355 was still a blast to drive, and I'd love to drive one again. The interior of the 355 is what really caught my attention.. and i can't seem to get it off my mind:biggrin: Sitting in the 355, there is no questioning its exoticness. The softest italian leather surrounds you, and delicious smell of the leather is intoxicating. You can tell that so much passion and craftsmanship went into designing everything from the seats, steering wheel, door panels and dash board. The interior of the tan interior 355, makes the NSX's interior look mediocre. There is no question that the 355 is one of the best sounding cars ever made.....only with an aftermarket exhaust. While many will argue that the 355 has one of the best sounding OEM exhaust, I found that it was too tame and too quiet. I felt that my NSX with its customized exhaust out shined the 355's exhaust note. You definitely need a capristo, tubi, kriessieg, or MS racing exhaust on the 355 to bring the best out of it. In summary, the 355 and NSX have their pro's and cons, but without a doubt, both cars provide a driving experience that will leave you satisfied and begging for more.

the NSX feels faster and more powerful. and based on the experience, the NSX pulled much harder, with more response, especially in the lower RPM's

I think you are confused about that part of the difference in the cars, because i too have driven a 355. And the car does close to 60 mph in 1 gear, so to say thats it weaker at low rpms , or that it slower than the X . I can not agree with you on that, based upon my experience driving the 355.

Ineed a_NSX said:
I think you are confused about that part of the difference in the cars, because i too have driven a 355. And the car does close to 60 mph in 1 gear, so to say thats it weaker at low rpms , or that it slower than the X . I can not agree with you on that, based upon my experience driving the 355.

I can't say that you're wrong. Its all subjective. In my experience, the NSX felt faster. I sure hope that ferrari wasn't a lemon:biggrin:

Hugh thats funny, I owned a 98 355 Berlinetta and although they are supposed to be robust I was always worried that it was going to break, it didn't give me any problems while I owned it, but I never worried about my NSX's breaking or my 993 Porsch TT's breaking for that matter. Probably my first Ferrari I had years ago which was a 78 308 GTS was the one that I felt the most secure in regards to reliability. The 355 valve guides and exhaust manifolds were always in the back of my mind, wondering if they were going to go bad. Doug

WealthBuildR said:
Call me crazy, but comparing both cars' performance, the NSX feels faster and more powerful. I was able to unwind the 355 to its 8500 redline in 1st through 4th gear, and based on the experience, the NSX pulled much harder, with more response, especially in the lower RPM's. I was expecting so much more from the 355, and in the end, I was sort of the disappointed by the 355's lack of power.

I am also a bit surprised that you feel like the 355 is not as quick as the NSX. On paper the F355 with 380HP has a lot more power than a '91 NSX with 270 HP and afaik the 355 is only slightly heavier.

MvM said:
I am also a bit surprised that you feel like the 355 is not as quick as the NSX. On paper the F355 with 380HP has a lot more power than a '91 NSX with 270 HP and afaik the 355 is only slightly heavier.

I was thinking the same, but I have never driven 355 so I don't know.

MvM said:

I'm surprised myself. The 355 I drove, was a 1995, which i've read is the fastest year of 355 produced. The car was basically brand new, and also very well maintained, with only 12k miles. When driving the car, I managed to go through 1st through 4th gear, redlining it each time, still the NSX felt like it pulled harder. Maybe its because I have those stickers on my car that add horsepower:tongue: Thats probably what it is.

WealthBuildR said:
There is no question that the 355 is one of the best sounding cars ever made.....only with an aftermarket exhaust. While many will argue that the 355 has one of the best sounding OEM exhaust, I found that it was too tame and too quiet. I felt that my NSX with its customized exhaust out shined the 355's exhaust note. You definitely need a capristo, tubi, kriessieg, or MS racing exhaust on the 355 to bring the best out of it. In summary, the 355 and NSX have their pro's and cons, but without a doubt, both cars provide a driving experience that will leave you satisfied and begging for more.

Holy shit, you couldn't have said it better. I had the pleasure of hearing a 97 355 with a Capristo exhaust and it was HANDS DOWN THE BEST SOUNDING car I have EVER heard. I have a sound clip, if you all would like I can post it.

Being a Ferrari fanatic for the longest, I drove a 355 spyder for a day as my first F-car. Boy, was it such a disappointment. As a status symbol, it was great but for a sports car it was the worst. The car had 4-6 dummy lights on constantly and the clunky gear shift really made it difficult to shift smoothly majority of the time. When you redline it in each gear, the engine does sing magnificently. I noticed the leather holding the pod containing the 3 gauges coming loose off the console.

The experience was really an eye opener for me about Ferrari. All the stories that I read in the magazines were true. A magnificent car that no one loved from the factory. It was a shame, but I am glad the NSX has the heart and the soul.

I was in the market for a 355 spyder recently and thought the interior was dated. In the cars I looked at the leather was wrinkled/loose (not worn) on the dash and console areas. It wasn't anywhere as good as I thought it would be so I decided to drop $25-30k into the NSX for CTSC with AEM, servicing, and new paint job until I earn enough to justify paying cash for the 360 spyder. I was all set to buy until I realized the NSX had to go (not enough garage space at this time) and couldn't go w/o reliability. I might still go for a 360 coupe but would be waiting for a desperate seller as I prefer the 355 styling over the 360.

MvM said:

Japanese horses are faster than Italian horses.

WealthBuildR said:
Maybe its because I have those stickers on my car that add horsepower:tongue: Thats probably what it is.

Couldn't agree more. I think my biggest performance gain was from the addition of the Iron Maiden sticker. :biggrin:

I do not know, maybe Euro models are different from US ones, but I drove several times different 355s (the previous owner of my ex black NSX has a 1998 355 with Tubi and I drive it from time to time) and it does feel quicker than the NSX: Not by a lot but it is noticeable anyway. And the sound is terrific too! :eek:

WealthBuildR said:
The interior of the 355 is what really caught my attention.. and i can't seem to get it off my mind:biggrin: Sitting in the 355, there is no questioning its exoticness. The softest italian leather surrounds you, and delicious smell of the leather is intoxicating. You can tell that so much passion and craftsmanship went into designing everything from the seats, steering wheel, door panels and dash board. The interior of the tan interior 355, makes the NSX's interior look mediocre.

Subjective question of taste. IMO I feel the 355 interior is mediocre, lacking design finesse and balance, it truly looks as a dated '70's pseudo euro futuristic attempt. A very dull and ugly design IMO. OTOH, the NSX one is still, IMO, one of the nicest. Just can't imagine a nicer center console ...

Funny how things can be judged and appreciated differently!

WealthBuildR said:
There is no question that the 355 is one of the best sounding cars ever made.....

No question! I agree totally!!! I love the NSX sound but honestly I prefer the 355 one!!! Two great redwines full bodied where the Italian one is showing more complexity!!!

I have both and it's difficult to compare them too much since they are both great cars. The NSX is more refined, nicer interior and easier to drive around town but the Ferrari loves to run and I like the looks a little better. I have a 98 355 with a Tubi and there isn't anything that sounds quite like it so it wins hands down there. The NSX is just an easy car to drive where the Ferrari is a little more "spirited".

The Ferrari definately is more work and more expensive to maintain, e.g. $280 for an oil change. I've never had a single thing go wrong with my NSX in 8 years while the Ferrari seems to take a little more care and feeding. Having said that, nothing ever actually broke on the Ferrari but these were things to keep it in top shape (I'm a little anal). If you don't keep up with the Ferrari, you'll have situations like mentioned above with all the idiot lights on. Simply put, they do require more maintenance. I budget about $5K a year for the Ferrari maintenance and less than $1K a year for the NSX.

As far as performance, the 355 is definately the quicker car but the NSX isn't far behind but for a long trip the NSX is much easier to do it in. As I said earlier, they are both great cars and I love each of them in their own way.

I have driven a 355 spyder and was underwhelmed by the accel .I felt it was a wash with a stock nsx,the coups are likely a little quicker due to being lighter.

MvM said:

In 98 R&T tested the 355 Coupe (F1) and the NSX and the times were:
F355
0-60 4.8
1/4 mile 13.3

NSX
0-60 4.9
1/4 mile 13.3 also

(note the F355 is rated at 375HP and 268 lb-ft torque and 3410 lbs test weight vs the NSX 290 HP/224 lb-ft and 3170 lbs of test weight)

Oddly the EPA ratings for the NSX was 17/24 and the test average was 20.8 and the F355 was 26/31, but only averaged an actual 15.1. This has nothing to do with performance, I just thought the EPA ratings on the Ferrari were way off, and the test figures seem to reinforce that.

I think the 1/4 mile times are fairly close for the 97+ NSX and 355 -- though the MPH is normally 5MPH+ faster in the 355. At higher speed, the 355 will pull away.

SilverStone05 said:
Holy shit, you couldn't have said it better. I had the pleasure of hearing a 97 355 with a Capristo exhaust and it was HANDS DOWN THE BEST SOUNDING car I have EVER heard. I have a sound clip, if you all would like I can post it.

post it post it~

Back