• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dumb question, best way to put DVD movies on iPad

Is there a free converter to put DVD's I own on my iPad. Traveling with kids soon and wanted to put a few of their movies on our iPad. Not really jazzed about spending $30 just to put one or two movies on the iPad one time as I won't be doing this much after that. Any free software for Mac? I tried one but it seems to just link me to buy.

Last edited:
I read that but can't get it to work, plus you have to download the vlc which I did, but it still says it isn't compatible. Was hoping to have a software where you can simply put in the DVD and say convert to ipad or version that is compatible with ipad in itunes.

Handbrake - Need to save as MP4

I have a Macbook Pro with 10.6.8 software. Per Handbrake, I downloaded the 64 bit and then the 32/64 vlc and every time I hit source on the handbrake to choose my DVD it says i need to get VLC when VLC works just fine. I even installed the 64 bit version of vlc thinking the 32 may have confused things. still no luck.

Last edited:
I never got handbrake to work so I just gave up. It kept saying it couldn't find the VLC program which I had. Oh well.

Has my two favorite attributes: it's free, and it works.

LOL. Now i have a succint and brief way to describe my favorite things.

I never got handbrake to work so I just gave up. It kept saying it couldn't find the VLC program which I had. Oh well.

"I have VLC, why won't HandBrake see it?"
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SupportFAQ#vlc

First off, ensure VLC is placed in your root /Applications folder, not your user home folder's ~/Applications folder.

Second, VLC must be launched once after being downloaded and installed, for the system to give it permission to operate.
Double-click it and click "Okay" to the warning message about it being downloaded software. Once it launches, feel free to quit it.

Third, the "bitness" of VLC must match the "bitness" of HandBrake. This means 32-bit HandBrake only works with 32-bit VLC, and 64-bit HandBrake only works with 64-bit VLC.

Or look at this:
http://blog.23x.net/200/handbrake-vlc-and-64-bit-problems.html

Can you guys help me???

I laid a bunch of my DVDs on top of my iPad 2, and it's not working!!!!! I followed the instructions that said to put your DVDs on your iPad.

Maybe I did it wrong because I put the shiny side up when I did that? Should the shiny side be facing down, so the iPad can read it better?

HELP!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Can you guys help me???

I laid a bunch of my DVDs on top of my iPad 2, and it's not working!!!!! I followed the instructions that said to put your DVDs on your iPad.

Maybe I did it wrong because I put the shiny side up when I did that? Should the shiny side be facing down, so the iPad can read it better?

HELP!!!!!!!

You're not supposed to put them on your iPad. You need to get them in your iPad. Best way to do that is to take a picture of you DVDs with the built in camera. :biggrin:

Back