• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

E85 with forced induction?

How many of you guys run or tune with E85 fuel and what results have you seen? I am tempted to run a map with E85 for my Supercharger setup with other goodies. I am curious what kind of power I can pick up thru that. Comments?

IMO unless you are dealing in some sort of competition running alcohol mix is more screwing around than its worth.
Alcohol does nasty things to even fuel systems (Sprint cars) built for it.
You should be able to obtain HP increases and cooling on a SC system much easier with a Water/methanol injection system.

Any way you go you will be limited to Max HP and torque by your clutch, head gaskets, and or Pistons. Check the box with the weakest link and stop there.

E85 is going to cost you much more $ per HP.

E85 is a great fuel. I've switched over a few of my cars from VP C16 to pump E85. I've made 900whp SAE and gone 201mph in the standing mile. You have to tune specifically for it and have a tuner who understands the fuel

Hi Guys as to your question I am currently in the process of converting over to E85 right now.This is definitely the way to go in high power applications I am currently at 465 RWHP aiming to get to the 500 plus RWHP mark .My current set up with 15lbs of boost & RC550 injectors & in-tank walboro fuel pump & methanol etc. the fuel system was almost at full duty cycle.My tuner who has plenty of experience with E85 conversions said switching over to E85 would definitely put me at or over the 500hp mark.Here is a list of the required parts we are using in my custom set-up for this conversion.
1)1000CC Injector dynamics Injectors
2)2 Walboro In-line fuel pumps in addition to Walboro in-tank pump
3)Fuel pressure regulator if you don't have one.
4)Custom surge tank 1 gallon
5)Misc. Hoses/Clamps/fittings
6)Modify Factory Fuel rail to except more fuel
7)E 85 fuel available at designated gas stations in your area only $2.35 a gallon
7)Most important of all an experienced Tuner who is very familiar with these swaps as stated by Alpha Tuning is everything.

I will keep you guys updated & photos later of custom set-up the car is currently on the lift now being worked on.

Last edited:
Look forward to see what kind of numbers you can pull off with the E85! Thanks for the update.

Hi Guys as to your question I am currently in the process of converting over to E85 right now.This is definitely the way to go in high power applications I am currently at 465 RWHP aiming to get to the 500 plus RWHP mark .My current set up with 15lbs of boost & RC550 injectors & in-tank walboro fuel pump & methanol etc. the fuel system was almost at full duty cycle.My tuner who has plenty of experience with E85 conversions said switching over to E85 would definitely put me at or over the 500hp mark.Here is a list of the required parts we are using in my custom set-up for this conversion.
7)E 85 fuel available at designated gas stations in your area only $2.35 a gallon
7)Most important of all an experienced Tuner who is very familiar with these swaps as stated by Alpha Tuning is everything.

I will keep you guys updated & photos later of custom set-up the car is currently on the lift now being worked on.

Glad to hear you're going E85. There are a few minor things I would change and one thing I would add. The two (2) Walbro in-line fuel pumps and one Walbro fuel pump in-tank. I wouldn't use this setup. I would use one Walbro in-tank if you have it already and one Bosch 044 in-line with 8, 10 or minimum 12 gauge power/ground from the pumps to two seperate Bosch style relays to the battery. Weldon A2040 fuel pressure regulator. This works well with E85 and will handle very high base pressures. Reliable as well. 40 micron steel fuel filters.

That setup is loud. Bosch pumps are very loud. They work well but are loud. How much power are you after? Maybe just use a boost a pump and a supra TT pump. Raise the base fuel pressure with a FPR and done. BTW, the ID 1000s do not flow 1000cc/min. They are more like 880. 450hp should be pie.

You also need to change all your fuel lines to teflon lined. Injector O'rings may need to be changed.

I've heard that the Walbros don't last long with E85 The 044's don't seem bothered by it though.

Yes the fuel lines are being replaced far as the pumps .There has been good results from others I know on this fuel pump set-up that been running already for awhile .The Bosch pumps from what I been told are really loud .The fuel pumps are pretty cheap if they need replacing around $110.00 each

A fuel pump failure could lead to a lean condition then.....

I have my 044 in the Tank, even bypassing the Resistor I don't think its that loud. I don't even have a stereo to mask the noise.
a Full fuel system in the boot/trunk may be a bit louder.

We've also had trouble with injectors seizing when the car hasn't been run for a few weeks.

I have only had limited experience with E85 but so far it seems more trouble than it's worth. Athough if the fuel system is regularly checked/maintained should be fine like a dedicated track car but for a street car maybe not.

I think the ideal setup would be 2 x tuned ECU maps. one for E85 when you go to the Track & another map for pump fuel on the street. I Have a Motec ECU & can have up to 4 different Maps simply by flicking a switch.

A fuel pump failure could lead to a lean condition then.....

I have my 044 in the Tank, even bypassing the Resistor I don't think its that loud. I don't even have a stereo to mask the noise.
a Full fuel system in the boot/trunk may be a bit louder.

We've also had trouble with injectors seizing when the car hasn't been run for a few weeks.

I have only had limited experience with E85 but so far it seems more trouble than it's worth. Athough if the fuel system is regularly checked/maintained should be fine like a dedicated track car but for a street car maybe not.

I think the ideal setup would be 2 x tuned ECU maps. one for E85 when you go to the Track & another map for pump fuel on the street. I Have a Motec ECU & can have up to 4 different Maps simply by flicking a switch.

Since Luis wants to keep (or so far i should say still IS) stock pistons/rings and compression, but wants to make big power, E85 seems reasonable considering cost is much less than a motor build.

the advice on regularly running the vehicle though is good. I have no experience with that and was not aware.

hopefully the saying Fast, cheap, reliable... pick two.... can be bent a little bit here...

Well guys almost there everything is almost in except for a fuel leak from the injectors we are working out then to the Dyno by Friday if all goes well.I will be posting results shortly.Here are a few pics of the Pumps set-up,surge tank ,modified fuel rail with 1000cc injector Dynamics,& blower set-up

Attachments

• nsx e85 swap 005.jpg
    nsx e85 swap 005.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 251
  • nsx e85 swap 010.jpg
    nsx e85 swap 010.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 223
  • nsx e85 swap 002.jpg
    nsx e85 swap 002.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 225
  • nsx e85 swap 009.jpg
    nsx e85 swap 009.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 227
  • Acurazine Meet 7-24-2009 194.jpg
    Acurazine Meet 7-24-2009 194.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 219
  • 1 mile run 1.jpg
    1 mile run 1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 210
I ordered the the scoop for the fender well opening the aftercooler has really limited me to what i can do there due to space limitations.The car is done just waiting to Dyno tomorrow if the Tuner is available.

e85 emissions

How many of you guys run or tune with E85 fuel and what results have you seen? I am tempted to run a map with E85 for my Supercharger setup with other goodies. I am curious what kind of power I can pick up thru that. Comments?

Anyone know if moving to E85 could get an SC with standalone AEM ECU to pass CA emissions?

Anyone know if moving to E85 could get an SC with standalone AEM ECU to pass CA emissions?

you need to be able to get and OBD read. I don't know if the stand alone would allow for that, regardless of fuel type. You would probably pass on the sniff test, but fail the OBD test. and FWIW i made about 80 extra RWHP on E85 vs. 91. it's like running 105 octane. Here in phoenix we have e50-80 available at gas stations. so that's 100 to 105 octane for $2.79/gal

The short technical answer is no. The AEM standalone will NOT pass CA emissions. The good thing is, it looks like your car is a 92, therefore, CA emissions does not require an OBD check to pass... they only use the sniffer test. So, if your car has a "good tune" AND the smog tech does not do a thorough visual check, you should be able to pass with no problems.

The short technical answer is no. The AEM standalone will NOT pass CA emissions. The good thing is, it looks like your car is a 92, therefore, CA emissions does not require an OBD check to pass... they only use the sniffer test. So, if your car has a "good tune" AND the smog tech does not do a thorough visual check, you should be able to pass with no problems.

Good to know. Thanks!

Back