• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

E92 M3 or 2005 NSX from m3forum.net

Gadgets aside, strictly from a styling/materials/quality standpoint, I think the NSX interior is still pretty modern. The interior of a JZA80 Supra; especially that big flat expanse of plastic, feels far more dated, and resembles something out of a Volvo big rig or something. Only minor things (cassette player, analog odo, chintzy vanity mirror cover, non-integrated horn buttons, no cupholders) give away its age. Go between it and my 10-year-newer E46, and it's hard to believe they're 10 years apart. Now, my 3-years-older-than-NSX M6 is another story entirely. THAT interior is a time machine. The center console is made of PLYWOOD for cryin' out loud.

I forgot to mention the depreciation side is strongly in favor of the NSX. The M3 will drop much faster than the NSX will. That was one strong reason to buy one for me. I wanted something that might actually hold its value down the road.

I forgot to mention the depreciation side is strongly in favor of the NSX. The M3 will drop much faster than the NSX will. That was one strong reason to buy one for me. I wanted something that might actually hold its value down the road.

That was actually a factor for me as well. But the M3 became pretty commoditized from the E36 on, so it's not a fair comparison from that standpoint A fairer comparison would be the E30 M3, and from that standpoint, it's doing as well, or better than the NSX today, with E30M3 values having gone up considerably in the last 3-4 years.

But 'collector car price appreciation' is a different subject altogether.

the fact that nsx gets consistently compared to currunt cars shows how good of a car it is. sure a brand new v8 m3 will outperform it in straight line, how about a '91?
furthermore, also from experience, m3 does not outhandle a nsx in the twisties, no matter what vintage.

Guys, I own both cars, E92 M3 and 95 NSX. The M3 will outperform the NSX on most, if not all tracks and with less effort. The LSD is a thing of beauty and the power delivery is awesome. Take a look at the torque curve below, almost completely flat. The car redlines higher than the NSX at 8400 RPM! This would be almost the perfect engine for the NSX.

Where the M3 would disappoint is in the steering feel and the vague, rubbery shifter. The car also hides you from how fast you are really going. The first couple weeks of ownership I had to keep an eye on the speedometer because you get up to speed so quickly and you don't feel it. You have to know as an owner that there are few cars that make you feel at one with the gearbox like the NSX does.

As many people have pointed out, the NSX has a kart feeling to it. The M3 is much more sophisticated and refined in comparison. It's great to own both, they are fantastic cars. But if I ran into a situation where one had to go, I would keep the M3.

Last, these current M3s will not be so common as the E46. The reason is many fold as the dollar is weak, the gas mileage will scare many people off, and the price is a lot higher.

Go to this link and click on the tab that says Videos and look through a few of the videos.

cid_15627521630042008-2D7E.jpg

The E90 M3 was actually part of the reason I got the NSX. My original plan was to sell both my current bimmers and get a E90 M3 as my only car some time in 09 (after the bugs got worked out). I just couldn't stomach a 14mpg daily driver at today's gas prices (more a philosophical than financial thing), so now I have a NSX. :biggrin:

The gas mileage for the new M3 is flat out brutal. That car just eats up the gas like my 69' mustang. It sure drives great though. The shifter is completely different between an NSX and a 3 series. It would take me some time getting used to the NSX gearbox. It is a little softer in my car but I kind of like that for every day driving. The NSX offers a few things that are entirely different than the M3 as well. The car is very light. The car is midengine with a different weight distribution. It is more exotic as well. The M3 is pretty sweet now days. For those of you that haven't driven one I highly suggest taking one for a spin to know what that 8400 rpm V8 engine is like. It really would be a great upgrade for the NSX of any generation. Once you drive it you can see that it is very similar in design to an NSX engine. It is small at only 4.0L and puts out about 416hp or so but it is a fun car. I do like the NSX a lot though. I wouldn't buy one for racing anyone in a straight line but it would be a great track day car.

Its funny I don't get the comments regarding the NSX interior being outdated?

I think its the most simplistic and functional interior out there - everything is where you need it to be and visibility is superb. Swap out the headunit for a nice DD headunit w/Ipod capabilities and your set.

Don't even get me started on the quality of NSX interiors - I love how nicely stitched and soft they are. I can't wait to sit in my new Imola and experience a brand new interior.

I do give alot of praise to the responses of the M3 Forum - kudos guys! I'd gladly have an E46 M3 as a daily driver to haul my future kiddies around but like almost all NSX owners if presented with a choice - kids would have to ride in mom's vehicle as the NSX is superb!

Its funny I don't get the comments regarding the NSX interior being outdated?

I think its the most simplistic and functional interior out there - everything is where you need it to be and visibility is superb.

+1 Totally agree

I found this link.

http://www.thering.co.uk/page/Nurburgring_Lap_Times.html

Next time you think an NSX would be faster in the twisties than E92 M3 or 335i coupe, at least according to this site that sure isn't true. See times 8:38 and 8:26 and 8:05. Yes, there is a faster NSX-R time but that is not the standard NSX either. You cant clown on a new M3 now.

BTW, we are not talking about an E46 M3 anyway.

Greetings

I drove several BMW's before buying my NSX. My favorite M is the Z3 version of the M Roadster. I drove a 2008 coupe. It was nice and faster accelerating than my NSX, but it seemed like every other coupe that I test drove. Handling was not its strong point -- would rate it in the top third of the pack. I drove 46 different cars over the 8 month period while searching.

My NSX is a daily driver every other week. We carpool to work and split the driving between 2 cars.

Cheers,
Martin

we'll wait 20 years and compare a 'then current' honda sportscar to the 'now current' m3 and i'll bet the difference will be more than 10 sec on the 'ring'. the technology gap is exponential, 2 more cylinders and 1000 cc sure help too. just to let you know my 'bias', i worked for a bmw/merc distributor for years. you guys need to take a trip to europe to see what bmw and merc really are overe there- 'german chevy's' and taxicabs. m3 is a nice car but thats it.
btw, for an 'ancient nsx' it deserves the nsx-r results in this comparo- afterall it is much less different from regular nsx than v8 m3 from a regular 3-series.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you bought your NSX to achieve the fastest lap times, I think you foolishly spent your money.

I didn't bring up the comparison. Deltron Zero wanted to discuss it. They are both great cars for different reasons.

If you bought your NSX to achieve the fastest lap times, I think you foolishly spent your money.

yes, thats exactly what i did- i am at the 'ring' daily looking for m3's.
in case you didn't notice we are making a point about the lap-times comparison as stated by previous poster.

'vegas' - agreed, just pointing out some inconsistencies.

Last edited by a moderator:
MartinSD said:
I drove several BMW's before buying my NSX. My favorite M is the Z3 version of the M Roadster. I drove a 2008 coupe. It was nice and faster accelerating than my NSX, but it seemed like every other coupe that I test drove. Handling was not its strong point -- would rate it in the top third of the pack. I drove 46 different cars over the 8 month period while searching.

Umm, just saw this and had to interject... Motortrend just ran a test of the best handling cars against some pretty serious cars. Viper ACR, 911 Turbo, GTR, Audi R8, among many others. Randy Pobst, you might know who he is, chose the R8 overall. The M3 came in 3rd, behind the GTR and ahead of the 911 Turbo. Pobst put the M3 in 2nd place, ahead of the GTR and behind the R8.

We expected the new BMW M3 (3rd place) to finish strong; it's simply one of our all-around favorite cars. Pobst gushed over its sublime responsiveness and grace, scoring it second. On our instrumented tests, the BMW delivered a second-best step-steer time, midpack lane-change speed, a top-place finish in ride quality, and one of the smoothest, tightest traces (despite high performance limits) on our figure-eight test. Most important, the M3 delivers handling performance you can utilize fully on your favorite roads. Steering feel, balance, chassis feedback, grip-the M3 covers every important base as few other cars in the world today can.

Pobst's first three words after his M3 track laps: "What a ride!" And then he got exuberant. "Makes you a believer in rear drive. Refined, but it rocks, too. Given the car's power and the fact that it's riding on street tires, the traction is excellent. Turn 4 is a fast, top of third gear corner, and while exiting at over 100 mph, I could push the M3 into a small drift. Sweetheart. Overall balance is really good-I don't remember much understeer at all. Also, the M3's steering feel is one of the best here. You've got that big fat wheel rim in your hands. Communicative and quick steering, with great satisfaction. There's body roll but not a sense of it. The damping keeps everything under control without harshness. Greater refinement than in the RX-8; you can feel there's more money in the pot." Pobst experienced a few hiccups with the DSG transmission ("shifts were harsh, and a few times when I tried to downshift it stayed in the higher gear"), but he had nothing but kudos for the chassis. "Not ready to say it's better than the R8, but what a ride!"

If you have 2 or more friends going out with you the m3 is the easy choice. Just mono or with your s/o, the nsx gets my vote EVERYTIME.

The NSX is loud and low so the SO cannot wear skirts and get out with her dignity in tact at valet. The M3 has lighted mirrors, better leather, her own AC adjustment, and less mechanical noises. So with a girly girl or more passengers the M3 is a better choice for going out. For going out solo, I'd have to give the edge to the M3 as well. It gets more chicks and you can bring their friends, too. :)

For driving to the beach, NSX-T, top off, all the way... :biggrin:

Last edited:
Guys, being the lucky owner of a e46 m3 and a 04 NSX, I have to first say I'm blessed just to own both cars and drive them anytime I want.

Each era M3: e30, e36, e46, and now the e92 are all top machines in it's time just like the NSX of the early 90s and now the 02+ body style cars.

Malibu Rapper: Your comment about the girls dignity intact with her skirt in an NSX is so funny but TRUE too! :biggrin: But hey is that really a bad thing if it's just the two of you? hehehe j/k

I would not say the NSX drives like a shifter kart though as one poster said. The s2000 would have to be the shifter kart. The NSX has got the most amazing driving position of any car I've sat in. The e46 m3 however on a long road trip is definitely more useful with the added space. One other thing I notice about the NSX being so low is that it seems to attract rocks and other debris like a magnet! That can be really bad as I'm always looking for things to avoid on the road :(

For the record though - if I could ONLY HAVE ONE CAR, it would be the e46 or the e92 m3 in a heartbeat. The NSX as much as I love it just could not be the only car I owned.

The new e92 m3 will be an iconic car for the new modern sports car and few cars can beat it for the price BMW asks for it.

rk

Most girls don't even know what kind of car the NSX is. The really smart, with-it women will know but most average chicks will not know. It is out of production so it isn't talked about as much anymore. It is still the best car to ever come out of Japan. I am including the GTR with that comparison.

NSX + a $3K 1995 Honda civic before giving up the NSX for any M3 convenience the NSX may lack.

Plenty of people daily drive miatas, boxsters, Corvettes, s2000's without even having another car, what makes the NSX different?

I did daily drive the NSX for 2-3 months after I sold My X5.
My girl daily drives her 97 NSX without a single concern or discomfort for over a year now.

When I had my X5 I thought "how will I drive a 2 seat car every day?" after I daily drove the NSX I was happy to not have all my friends telling me to pick them up for a group night out. Now I either meet people there or have some other sucker pick me up. Now my X5 is no longer the party car that I have to clean out the next day after a group night out on the town.

I would daily drive my NSX if it were not as modified, and am considering getting a stock high mileage one to daily drive.

Last edited:
Back