• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Early model Transmissions.

i talked to someone over the weekend that said that the earilier model 5 speed trannys are stronger than the newer model 6 speed trannys. is that true?

Last edited:
The 5 speed transmission does have wider gears that can handle higher HP/torque levels than the narrower-toothed 6 speed transmission.

For anything under 400whp, either should be fine.

It is explained in the TSB but the short version is that if you look down on the trans housing, just to the right of the airbox assembly you should see the number.

ok. thanks. hopefully i dont have one of those. i have almost 198,500 miles on the car. so one would think that if it came from the factory with one that it may have been replaced before it got it at 170,000 miles. (i hope)

ok. thanks. hopefully i dont have one of those. i have almost 198,500 miles on the car. so one would think that if it came from the factory with one that it may have been replaced before it got it at 170,000 miles. (i hope)

That's not very reassuring logic. Just go ahead and check the trans serial number.

i talked to someone over the weekend that said that the earilier model 5 speed trannys are stronger than the newer model 6 speed trannys. is that true?

Like the guys have said before unless its snap ring range 5spd is twin disc clutch, the 6Spd has a single disc clutch has been more refined over the years shorter gearing, double syncroed etc. Lot of guys upgrade their old 5spds to new 6spds.

See SOS for more info http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/transmissions/6-spd_conversion/

Changes by year http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year

Last edited:
Just because a trans is in the snap ring range doesn't mean that it will fail but rather it is more likely to.
If you car has that many miles on it and it hasn't had any problems, there is a good chance it won't.
Mine is right in the middle of the range and have never had any of the symptons of it failing. I won't worry about it till it happens or I try and sell it.

Lot of guys upgrade their old 5spds to new 6spds.

Lots of guys also upgrade the gearing to Short Gears and the 4.23 R&P.

trust me i am going to check first chance it get. but i cant afford to replace anything to expencive right now. so hopefully i will be ok for awhile

Understood.

Lots of guys also upgrade the gearing to Short Gears and the 4.23 R&P.

Understood.

Yes I missed that one... was once there myself my old 91 car has a UK Type-R trans in it with short gears apparantly from factory. 4.23 R&P is a great upgrade for the 5Spd :smile:

IMO there is rarely a case where the US gear stack is beneficial.

Back