• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Earth at night (large picture)

Lud

Legendary Member
PrimeAdmin
earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg

What energy crisis or did I leave my lights on???

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

Beautiful picture.....but, here's a question for the thinkers.... Why is it not daylight in some areas around the world....? separate pics not taken at the same time, maybe. And, is there any time during a day, throughout the year, when all the world is in darkness?

------------------
Todd Arnold
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

You'd need a REALLY wide angle lens to take a picture of all sides of a sphere at once...
biggrin.gif

That photo is a composite of hundreds of pictures taken over time by DMSP satellites.. That's also why there are no areas obscured by clouds. You tax dollars at work!

After studying the picture I found it really fascinating. You can obviously see the urban areas but you can also see how population centers really follow the coast line. You can also see how the more populated areas follow the transportation systems within a country. For example in the US you can tell where the interstates between major urban areas are because of all the lights from the towns and cities along the way. Particularly striking is the line following the trans-Siberian railroad through Russia.

It's also amazing to see how dark much of the world is at night, even in some countries with huge populations but a much lower standard of living and urbanization like India and China.

Great picture that you found Lud!!

I wonder what Christopher Columbus would say if he saw it? Maybe "I told you so."

If Columbus saw this map, he would say:

"Damn, more gold to dig, more people to enslave."

He did not "discover" the new world. There were inhabitants on this land long before Columbus' arrival; and there were explorers who have visited America long before Columbus made his trip. Why is this country even celebrating Columbus day? So we remember what he did to the natives of this land? So we remember his racist, eurocentrist attitudes? I wonder why...

------------------
I know nothing about Honda NSX
http://www.geocities.com/maomaonsx

Back