• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ebay dispute veterans help please

I bid and won a 30# tank of R-12. It was sold as a Dupont Product which is the most desirable, so i bid high and got it for $530. The picture showed a Dupont tank with a sealed valve. The guy sent me another brand - Sercon. Pure false advertising. I could have gotten a Sercon tank for about $150 less. He wants me to keep the tank for a $75 dollar refund (I asked for $150). He says he will refund me in full, but i'm definately not trusting this guy now. If i send it back, will i see the money he has promised? It was a paypal transaction. TIA

Definately get your money back from him. That is not what you paid for. If he won't give it back you can dispute it with paypal. You can also use the ebay resolution center to get your money back also.

Just make sure to do it within the 45 days thru paypal. I think it's still 45 days. Check and make sure.

As an aside, that is a screamin' deal for a 30 pounder of R12 regardless of brand. I would probably figure it not worth my time to go through the claim process, but your call. To answer your question, you would've been more successful typing this thread title into their search. From Paypal for an item received not as described:

Here's how to open a dispute:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Resolution Center at the top of the page.
  3. Click Dispute a Transaction.
  4. Select Item Dispute, then click Continue.
  5. Click Find transaction ID.
  6. Click the Transaction ID next to the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.

Note:
  • You have 45 days from the transaction date to open a dispute.
  • If you and the seller can’t resolve the problem, you can ask us to investigate by escalating your dispute to a claim.
  • If you don’t escalate a dispute to a claim within 20 days, we automatically close it. Once a dispute is closed, you can’t reopen it or escalate it to a claim.

PayPal has handled my disputes resonably well. It sounds like a case of misrepresentation of item for sale and you should get a full refund (should, being the unknown premise here). If you can get him to refund a partial amount that is fair to you, that is the way to go. If the seller's feedback is extensive (they have sold many items) and positive, he will want to keep it that way. If his feedback is iffy and few, it won't matter much. You never know how these problems will work out, so if you have the item, atleast that's not a total loss. If you ship it back and don't get a refund, then Paypal is your only hope. My dealings with PayPal have been good, but I have read from others that they had bad experiences with them. This recession has pushed people to do things they wouldn't do in better times, so the old saying "Buyer Beware" should be front and center with online dealings during these hard economic times.
Good Luck!

PAYPAL is scary, everytime i have over 1000 bucks in it some how my account get frozen as someone tries to gain access with multiple log-in attempts I have to call to get it re-activated.

now anything under 200 they dont try and hack it. so word to the wise

when you get money thru paypal transfer it out ASAP. if they de-activate it you do not get your money back they keep it.

someone on the inside watches how much money is in accounts and anything worth stealing

Just transfer any high dollar out of PAYPAL ASAP to save yourself a huge headache.

Last edited:
PAYPAL is scary, everytime i have over 1000 bucks in it some how my account get frozen as someone tries to gain access with multiple log-in attempts I have to call to get it re-activated.

now anything under 200 they dont try and hack it. so word to the wise

when you get money thru paypal transfer it out ASAP. if they de-activate it you do not get your money back they keep it.

someone on the inside watches how much money is in accounts and anything worth stealing

Just transfer any high dollar out of PAYPAL ASAP to save yourself a huge headache.

You sure your tin-foil hat isn't the issue?

If somebody "inside" can get to your balance info, your password would be an easy target... And your money would be gone...

And why would anybody keep thousands of dollars in a paypal account?

I bid and won a 30# tank of R-12. It was sold as a Dupont Product which is the most desirable, so i bid high and got it for $530. The picture showed a Dupont tank with a sealed valve. The guy sent me another brand - Sercon. Pure false advertising. I could have gotten a Sercon tank for about $150 less. He wants me to keep the tank for a $75 dollar refund (I asked for $150). He says he will refund me in full, but i'm definately not trusting this guy now. If i send it back, will i see the money he has promised? It was a paypal transaction. TIA

Wrong picture, you should have no problem getting your $ back from paypal, but you have to get your dispute going now, if you wait too long they won't let you submit it.

I'd go ahead and file the claim. Just send a message to the seller first telling him that you are just protecting yourself and if the transaction goes as planned you will cancel it. Hopefully it works out the right way.

as an aside, that is a screamin' deal for a 30 pounder of r12 regardless of brand. I would probably figure it not worth my time to go through the claim process, but your call. To answer your question, you would've been more successful typing this thread title into their search. From paypal for an item received not as described:

Here's how to open a dispute:

1. log in to your paypal account.
  2. click resolution center at the top of the page.
  3. click dispute a transaction.
  4. select item dispute, then click continue.
  5. click find transaction id.
  6. click the transaction id next to the transaction you want to dispute, then click continue.

note:
  • you have 45 days from the transaction date to open a dispute.
  • if you and the seller can’t resolve the problem, you can ask us to investigate by escalating your dispute to a claim.
  • if you don’t escalate a dispute to a claim within 20 days, we automatically close it. Once a dispute is closed, you can’t reopen it or escalate it to a claim.

+1...

And why would anybody keep thousands of dollars in a paypal account?

Because they pay a slightly higher return on your balance than you would get in a savings account at the bank.

However, Shawn has brought up some good points. Why risk the hassles he mentioned just for a higher level of chump change?

Because they pay a slightly higher return on your balance than you would get in a savings account at the bank.

Paypal closed their money market account... How are you earning a return :cool:

Back