• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

End of shoping for new car.

For those of you looking into buying a high-end sports car I thought I would give you my thoughts.

I currently have an S2000 and have fallen in love with it over the last 40K miles. It had a few handling traits that I didn’t like and ended up changing shocks, wheels, tires, interior upgrades, and mega watt stereo. My next mod was to be a turbo or supercharger. The only problem with this was putting this much money into a 30K car was getting out of hand, so I started thinking NSX.

The goal was more power, more torque, and a nicer ride. I originally started looking at NSX. My wife hates my modifying anything so she suggested spending more money and getting the best car I could that would meet my expectations from the factory; thus this long dissertation.

I had driven a 03 Porsche X50 on an on and off ramp and back to the dealer. I came away awed by the power but with little feel for the car. Test-drove an NSX, very nice ride, and fairly quiet. This is a plus for some longer trips up the California coast, which I look forward to several times a year.

After these original test drives I drove the S2000 home. The thoughts were that I liked my own car so well that I was somewhat disappointed in the other cars compared to mine.

Took a 6-month breather and then test drove a GT3 and then a new 997. I liked the 997. The GT3 is very close to my S2000 in terms of ride and noise level and I was very unimpressed with the power. While it is fast, it comes on like my S2000, with little torque. I also notice on the Porsches’ that there was a fair amount of pitch in the bumps that I don’t get in the S2000.

On the same day I test-drove an AM Vanquish. This car was stunning. Finish is beyond anything else I have looked at and the dive is the same. The sound on start up and at full tilt is worth the price of admission by itself. The only problem is the treble transmission/clutch reputation. Off to sleep on this.

After several talks with my wife and many nights of lost sleep I ordered a DB9. I felt that this car would have it all. Driving impressions next.

My first test drive was a chance to ferry one form Napa to the Bay area. We weren’t able to pick up the car until after 6 so it was dark when we started. My wife drove it first with the Sales person and fell in love with the car. She said that she felt more comfortable in the car in 500 ft. than she ever had in her CLK 55. She also had a chance to sample the car through a few corners and loved the steering. I was bringing up the rear in the Range Rover. My turn next.

I took the wheel at the gas station and drove about 50 miles. In a rush to catch up to the RR, now driven by the Sales man, I neglected to set the mirrors. Jumped out into traffic and set them on the way. I think this is what set off my original mixed mixed emotions concerning this car. With traffic all the way I only got to 70 once and never felt comfortable given driving an umfimluar car, at night, next to coneat berears on the left and cars constantly on my right side. At a steady 65 miles an hour, the car is very quiet with more than expected tire noise on rough pavement. This is all I had on the sections of road we traveled on that night. I noticed a fair amount of feedback through the wheel over many bad sections of the road, which seemed like bump steer. Less than in my S2000 but not the solid feel of the CLK. At the end I was not thrilled with the car and at 170K + I went away disappointed. The sales man offered me a test drive over the hill close to the dealer for the next day. (I hate the fact that you seldom find a proper place to test drive a car until after you bring it home.)

The next day I left early and got a chance to drive a Porsche Turbo through a large unpopulated industrial park. The sales man started the drive, after the car was warmed up, at a very brisk pace. Acceleration is very impressive and turn in is very quick. Upon my test dive I was taken back by the cars stunning performance. Felt like it was nailed down to the road. Upon fast entry into one turn with little trail brake I got the car to under-steer more than I would expect, but the acceleration out of the turns is unbelievable. I went away totally awed by this car. Next the DB9.

The sales person drove from the dealer to a planed location to change drivers. With a chance to ride in the car I was able to examine the car and think about the ride. This thing is stunning at 60. Very refined, and the way you feel inside looking out is beyond my capabilities to explain. Just an unbelievable car. Smooth ride and quite quiet. If feels better that the CLK, more planted, and almost as quiet.

Since this car belongs to AM and was meant for this kind of service I decided to drive the car like I drive my S2000 and the way I drove the used Porsche Turbo. In the light of day I turned on to the twisty road with a quick flick of the wheel. Now with a chance to open her up I went through some of the gears at full throttle. While the acceleration doesn’t snap your neck like the Turbo, it is real close in speed gained. Surprisingly I felt like I had been driving this car for years after the first few turns. Trail brake into a turn with a flick of the left paddle, turn in and let the car rotate and settle, feed in the gas and full on upon exit. Wow, can this car dance. What was first viewed as bump steer and an over abundance of tire noise is just the way this baby tells you what she is doing.

Finally closing. The X50 turbo would be slightly faster and maybe a little quicker on a track than the DB9 WITH THE SAME DRIVER. Pure driving excitement goes to the Porsche. Ride and comfort is not even in the same park. The Porsche has a drone at constant speed and is almost as loud as my S2000. 80 db for the S2000 rage top at 70 and 79 db for the turbo coupe at the same speed.

The deciding factor is that the Porsche would ware on me on long trips where the DB9 satisfies in all spectrums.

Just one last thing. Do not consider this car if you don’t like attention. I almost decided against this car for this reason. People will follow you on the road just to look at this stunning beast, and she draws a crowd at the fuel pumps.

I expect delivery in April of 05.

Last edited:
Nice choice of car. I did a similar comparison and chose the 996TT. I agree with much that you typed above except the comment about road noise. I personally found the 996TT too quiet on the road, almost felt too isolated, much quieter than the S2000 I had just sold. For that reason I went with a Fabspeed exhaust. It made the car sound and feel much more like the 993TT I had driven. It drones a little at about 2500 rpm but otherwise sounds good. Enjoy the DB9.

SCS2k said:
Nice choice of car. I did a similar comparison and chose the 996TT. I agree with much that you typed above except the comment about road noise. I personally found the 996TT too quiet on the road, almost felt too isolated, much quieter than the S2000 I had just sold. For that reason I went with a Fabspeed exhaust. It made the car sound and feel much more like the 993TT I had driven. It drones a little at about 2500 rpm but otherwise sounds good. Enjoy the DB9.

The TT is a great car. I did the test with a DB metter. 80 for the S2000 and 79 for the TT on the A scale. I like the TT alot but was looking for performance with GT long distance ride. The DB9 is about 72 depending on road surface.

Congratulation, awesome car you have chosen!:)

Sloopy said:
Took a 6-month breather and then test drove a GT3 and then a new 997. I liked the 997. The GT3 is very close to my S2000 in terms of ride and noise level and I was very unimpressed with the power. While it is fast, it comes on like my S2000, with little torque.

But I really do not uderstand this part: are we speaking about a GT3... GT3... the Porsche GT3?

I drove both the S2000 and the GT3 and honestly they should not even be compared in terms of power. Usable power (also a bit far from the redline) is like TWICE as much on the GT3 and this for cars that do not weight that differently...

We have 160lbs difference in favor of the S2000, ok, but from the power viewpoint at 6000rpm, before the VTEC kicks in, the S2000 has 130 RWHP!!! :( And at 7000rpm it has 175 RWHP... :(

The GT3 has 235 RWHP at 6000rpm and 290 RWHP at 7000 rpm. Torque is almost always 80% above the S2000 level... :eek:

Yes it was a GT3 Porsche. I know what you mean, the GT3 has to be faster which it is. It is probably faster than the DB9 in the 1/4 mile.

The differance is torque. The seat of the pants feel in acceleration is like the S2000. Roll on the gas at 60 in 6th and the GT3 feels slow. Do the same in the DB9 and TT and you feel a big differance. Its the old seat of the pants dyno. Not acurate but I'm not out to set any records just looking for a certain feel, and comfort at the same time. This is the hard part.

Back