• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine knocking and clicking sound!!!!

Oh crap!!! Took a friend for a ride and shifted into second . . . hit redline . . . shifted into third. Now there's a "click" sound emanating from the engine compartment. Sound is across RPM range - from startup to 5-6K. I didn't notice it right away. Maybe w/i 10-15 seconds. No noticeable loss in power or acceleration. Could it be something with a valve spring(s)?

Went out to start it a little while ago and it is noticeably more difficult to start.

Please help diagnose. Barnman . . . Mark Basch? Somebody?

Shawn

Thanks David. Although I trust myself w/ brakes, oil changes etc., I dont trust myself with taking the engine apart. So I'm calling my mechanic tomorrow morning. Maybe he can diagnose it through the phone?! Appreciate the help, David.

Shawn

For all interested and those who gave their thoughts public and private, turns out that the clicking was coming from a loose . . . rocker arm. My mechanic said that it shouldn't cause much damage if any at all and that it would take a simple tightening and adjusting. He sold me on some gaskets, plugs, and a valve adjustment - since he's opening it up. Quoted me around $300 for everything parts and labor.

I appreciate the help I received from everyone. Thanks.

Shawn

Back