• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine swaps

I know a K-swapped (possibly turbocharged?) NSX exists somewhere and is very lightweight.

What other straight up engine swaps have been done in the NSX, if any? Has anyone ever gotten a V8 in it?

The K-swapped NSX I think is owned by STMPO? And a v8 NSX has been in the making for many years now here. The main issue being how the drive train will be setup since the motor sits right in front of the rear axle. The JGTC NSXs used a longitudinal v8 with the transmission mounted in front of it, with a shaft that came back past a modified oil pan to the rear differential. Very complex in terms of a swap. This would limit someone to have an easier time with a transverse engine like the K20, or if someone wanted to, a transverse v8 from maybe a cadillac seville? Just theorys.

I think the key would be a built K-series. There is a Lotus Elise with a built K that is making 383 wHP, NA, on 91 octane.

That would work very nicely in an NSX. The engine could be placed lower, which would lower the center of gravity. Plus, there would be at least 300 lbs of weight savings.

The biggest expense would be the (custom) fabrication of motor mounts, proper shift mechanism and drive axles.

The engine build itself would be expensive, but a lot less than a comparable C30.

I think the key would be a built K-series. There is a Lotus Elise with a built K that is making 383 wHP, NA, on 91 octane.

That would work very nicely in an NSX. The engine could be placed lower, which would lower the center of gravity. Plus, there would be at least 300 lbs of weight savings.

The biggest expense would be the (custom) fabrication of motor mounts, proper shift mechanism and drive axles.

The engine build itself would be expensive, but a lot less than a comparable C30.

Yikes 383? How??? I need to know this secret!

And a v8 NSX has been in the making for many years now here.

That isn't really an NSX anymore, that's something different entirely...

Not to say it isn't cool or awesome. Because it is both of those things. :biggrin:

Does anybody have a link for the K series NSX? I am very interested in learning more!

The LS4 in theory should be able to fit in the NSX. It will bolt up to the GM F40 6 Speed transmission http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_F40

If for some reason my engine ever pops I'll probably go that route.

The LS4 is a 5,328 cc (5.328 L; 325.1 cu in) version of the Generation IV block. Though it has the same displacement as the Vortec 5300 LY5, it features an aluminum block instead of iron, and it uses the same cylinder head as the Generation III LS6 engine. The bellhousing bolt pattern differs from the rear-wheel drive blocks.

This engine is adapted for transverse front-wheel drive applications. According to GM, "The crankshaft is shortened 13 mm – 3 mm at the flywheel end and 10 mm at the accessory drive end – to reduce the length of the engine compared to the 6.0L. All accessories are driven by a single serpentine belt to save space. The water pump is mounted remotely with an elongated pump manifold that connects it to the coolant passages. Revised oil pan baffles, or windage trays, are incorporated into the LS4 to ensure that the oil sump stays loaded during high-g cornering."[6] Active Fuel Management is also used. Output of this version is 303 hp (226 kW)/300 hp on LaCrosse Super and 323 lb·ft (438 N·m).

Of course any mods that you can do to an LSx engine can be done to the LS4, so you could go well north of 300hp with ease.

Last edited:
Does anybody have a link for the K series NSX? I am very interested in learning more!

I think a K Series NSX will be awesome once someone has a completely sorted setup. I drove the STMPO NSX at a Redline event. The car wasn't really ready and we didn't get a chance to compete. I did get to do some straight line tests and did all of 3/4 of a lap. The ECU had an issue and the car would fall on it's face shortly after hitting decent boost. For the brief couple of seconds I had at decent boost, it was very impressive. I'm also sure that it helped that the car was 2,000LB.

It would be nice to see Ross finish his car and get it running. I think money is pretty tight right now for him.

I've heard rumors of someone else working on a K series NSX. Hopefully we will see one running late this year or early next year.

So there's no way a LS7 will fit right?
Bolting up a 505hp Z06 motor would be pretty amazing....
I'm sure people would drop big money if it was possible and there was a kit.

So there's no way a LS7 will fit right?
Bolting up a 505hp Z06 motor would be pretty amazing....
I'm sure people would drop big money if it was possible and there was a kit.

We are fitting a dry sumped LS1 into the Pikes Peak NSX. All suspension geometries will be left alone, and the engine will be mounted 100% via subframes. With the use of a Porsche transaxles, a "kit" is entirely possible, though major fabrication is involved with clearancing the firewall and trunk areas, let alone wiring, exhaust components, etc. We have had interest in this, and are likely going to covert our "street" NSX into an LS-powered, fire breating monster.

525979_439032126149830_500025021_n.jpg

Yes. Here's a shot while I'm configuring engine location. Dry sump pan allows excellent COG possibilities ;)

528120_467004520019257_1054753094_n.jpg

This excites people ??? (K20 crap)
A 4-cylinder engine NSX........... that excites some people here??????? - Give me a break, If I was American, I'd be swearing alot right now..... please go back to your civic forums and discuss k20 swaps there, there is NO place for 4 banger talk here.

A 4-cylinder engine NSX........... that excites some people here??????? - Give me a break, If I was American, I'd be swearing alot right now..... please go back to your civic forums and discuss k20 swaps there, there is NO place for 4 banger talk here.

As if the number of holes in the engine block was the only thing that mattered... or maybe you forget that 'we' can be on the lotus, 0-60 mph in "less than 2.3 seconds"Ariel atom, Track record breaking Radicals, and many more forums.

Are you aware of what formula one motors have in them? let’s keep that discussion to liters not cylinders?

And I’m an Italian American and I swear all the time… almost every sentence to be exact

Ian Palmers GTP(Australian race series) NSX had a transverse mounted Formula 3000 V8 engine in it for a short time. They blew the engine up in a big way & went back to twin turbo v6.

I'm with you. I can't get excited about a 4 cylinder NSX.

If I was to swap a motor out of an NSX it better be a much better V6 motor OR a V8 motor. I don't see how you can go from a 6 to a 4 :confused:.

Back