• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine Torque Damper Kits

I wanted to see if these work. I was looking at the Blackend MotorSports NSX Engine Torque Damper Kit. However I have a custom SC setup and would need to build some custom brackets. Has anyone added one that had to customize the connections? Any photos?
Thanks

I wanted to see if these work. I was looking at the Blackend MotorSports NSX Engine Torque Damper Kit. However I have a custom SC setup and would need to build some custom brackets. Has anyone added one that had to customize the connections? Any photos?
Thanks

The consensus was to save your money. I'm not producing them anymore, and the few members that purchased one of the kits I made reported minimal improvement except under the highest of stresses. Basically, if you track your car passionately and want to squeeze every ounce of performance, you may look for a damper kit to assist with the high-load shifting, but other than that, the effect is negligible.

If you're still wanting one, contact Ross at STMPO. I know he fabricated mounts on one of his RTSB's that would use a damper and would still clear a supercharger.

+1

I have one, I track my car, I see minimal improvement. I'm not going to take it off since it's on there, but I wouldn't do it again for the $.

My concern is the stock mounts are designed to handle the stock HP and I have doubled both that and TQ. I can see some wear on my targa cover where when my motor flexes under heavy loads and its rubbing. I am not trying to gain traction through this mod just the reduction of motor twisting. I have already reinforced my motor mounts by filling them with silicon caulk and adding end plates to stiffen them up.

It would definitely help out with that, but unfortunately, I don't have anymore dampers and would have to order 50 more at a minimum and there's just not the market for them. Perhaps Ross at STMPO could fab something up for you with one of the NRG dampers he had? They tend to start rattling after a while, but he may be able to drill out the heim joint end and replace with a rubber-isolated collar like we had done to our dampers. If you decide to go this route, I can take some pictures of my damper kit close up if he wants to try to replicate the ends of it.

I can build one and the brackets. I was really looking to see if would help and you confirm that. I see some people making these from 750LB rated mountain bike frame spring-shocks. I had already assumed I would need some rubber to reduce any noise. The link below shows a 700LB shock that could be used. I have seen these rated from 350LBS to 1500LBS and sell for as little as 15.00. Maybe I will give it a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120820089841

Ken, the only thing that bothered me about these types of mounts is that no one really knows if the area the damper is mounted to the engine is able to handle the vibration and resonances of supporting the motor in such a way. How do you know that over time you're not doing more damage than good? Hairline fatigue fractures, skewed/bent block, etc... The stock mounting locations are designed to support the motor but how do you know other sections of the motor are strong enough? You're displacing load at the end of the day and i'm certain the Honda engineers did not design the block with this in mind. Maybe i'm just paranoid :redface:

I'm not saying these are badly designed pieces. The quality and craftmanship look great. I'm just not sure on the true impact to the block. Imho you need to get better mounts for the OEM locations.

Ken, the only thing that bothered me about these types of mounts is that no one really knows if the area the damper is mounted to the engine is able to handle the vibration and resonances of supporting the motor in such a way. How do you know that over time you're not doing more damage than good? Hairline fatigue fractures, skewed/bent block, etc... The stock mounting locations are designed to support the motor but how do you know other sections of the motor are strong enough? You're displacing load at the end of the day and i'm certain the Honda engineers did not design the block with this in mind. Maybe i'm just paranoid :redface:

I'm not saying these are badly designed pieces. The quality and craftmanship look great. I'm just not sure on the true impact to the block. Imho you need to get better mounts for the OEM locations.

not only the motor mount but how bout the body/frame mount...surely the little footprint of these mini shocks/springs may work on a low torque 4 banger with 120 ft'lbs...but boosted motors with lots of twist....plus you are upgrading the mounts already:confused:

Sounds like this may not be a good idea. I did notice last night looking at my car and through the owners manual I may have only reinforced the two lower motor mounts. I will start by looking at the other mounts to see if I can reinforce them also. I'm sure that will make a big difference. Thanks

Hey Ken when you stiffen your mounts you may want to try filling them with window urethane(it is much stiffer than silicone). I did this with mine and removed them as they were way too stiff for all the street driving that I do. You may also want to check with FXMD or Coz and find out what they do? It sounds like you may have to stiffen the chassis and not the motor mounts. JMO

Hey Ken when you stiffen your mounts you may want to try filling them with window urethane(it is much stiffer than silicone). I did this with mine and removed them as they were way too stiff for all the street driving that I do. You may also want to check with FXMD or Coz and find out what they do? It sounds like you may have to stiffen the chassis and not the motor mounts. JMO

I went with silicon because the urethane gets to stiff. The solid silicon with aluminum plates to close it all in works great. I think I just mist a couple mounts. I will check on the stiffening of the chassis I already have the SOS Non compliance rear beam, RM sway bars, Non comp toe links and My KW V3's will be in on Tuesday.
Thanks

Back