• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Entry level automatic wrist watch Omega/Tag Huera/Rolex

Best entry level automatic watch of these 3 choices

• Total voters
Hugh said:
Check out item 130028038246 it's one tenth of the price of the one you posted.
Do a search on eBay using the string honda seiko.

Yes I know, it's going to be a birthday present to myself this year I think.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

Here is my Breitling Crosswind Racing S/S

This watch is bullet proof. Ive worn it everyday, gardening, sometimes tooling; Ive banged this sucker hard! Not a scratch on the glass. The bezel is in awesome shape. It keeps good time, too.

390.jpg

rickysals said:
I love watches.

I'm still young and less mature, and well, less $$$... i don't yet have the desire for these kinds of watches. I used to think they were dumb! haha, now I am interested in watches like this.

I'm still improving my taste level. :D

for now, my young'in butt is in love with this, and I want one

420aa12f84a7d.jpg_0_0_0.jpg
What is that a Oakley? What is the name ?

NSX UNITED said:
Too bad it's a SEIKO :frown:

Old thread, but couldn't help but reply to this comment. Seiko and Honda kind of have the same image problem in the US. Both are often perceived as being manufacturers of "cheap" products for mass consumption even though they both have a long, illustrious history of excellence in their respective fields.

Most people don't know of Seiko's numerous high-end watches (From $4k-$125K) which are available and they are just stunning pieces with technology that would cost who-knows-how-much-more if it came from a Swiss brand. In fact, the new Seiko Spring Drive won International Watch of the Year at BaselWorld 2006 beating out all the other exclusive high end timepieces.

It's kind of like the average Joe not having a clue about Honda's long racing heritage and questioning why an economy car company would go about building sports and exotic cars (ie. S2K and NSX) when the real Honda fan knows the company started out in racing and building sportscars to begin with. It's strange to me that many European marques with far less racing credentials than Honda seem to most often be considered "racing companies" yet Honda with all its dominance throughout a half century of racing in various motorsports series is "just a Honda."

Anyway, it's interesting because Seiko in the watch world is like Honda in the automotive world: sometimes overlooked and often underappreciated for all of its history and achievements.

Back to watches though; I love my Omegas, but the watch my wife picked up for me as a birthday present is my favorite right now:

261_6192.jpg

264_6499.jpg

"It's just a Seiko", :wink: but I've gotten more comments wearing this watch than any other in my collection and it's the second least expensive watch I have next to my Nike Oregon Series which I use for workouts :biggrin: In person, it looks much more expensive than it is. The AR coated sapphire crystal makes reading the dial a breeze in any condition. My next purchase, I'd love to pick up one of the new Seiko Spring Drives. I've had such a good experience with their sports model watch, I'd like to try Seiko's high-end offerings:

LargeSweeps.jpg

dial1lg.jpg

sd3sm.jpg

I'm not a big fan of any of the three, but chose the Rolex because it the most classy. Omega is next. Tag is pretty generic these days, I should say VERY generic. I do like them, but will not wear one, due to a majority that wear them seem to think they know much about watches in general just because there watch was over $1k....:rolleyes:

For Entry level, go with an ORIS , they have many choices, even a racing line, everyone of them is automatic, and great quality for the price.

5inchfatlip said:
I'm not a big fan of any of the three, but chose the Rolex because it the most classy. Omega is next. Tag is pretty generic these days, I should say VERY generic. I do like them, but will not wear one, due to a majority that wear them seem to think they know much about watches in general just because there watch was over $1k....:rolleyes:

For Entry level, go with an ORIS , they have many choices, even a racing line, everyone of them is automatic, and great quality for the price.

fwiw, Jason purchased the Carrera, a very sharp-looking watch.

I share your affinity for Oris, I purchased an Oris classic day/date two months ago:

675-7515-40-64s.jpg

I am probably off topic since I didn't see this mfg. listed, but have you thought or considered Tissot? I have many of these watches, and I wear one every day of the week and they are probably the best watches I have ever owned.

Here is the website if you consider, and also I have it set on my daily watch which is the Titanium T-Touch:

http://www.tissot.ch/?mod_collectio...1/subid_0003/refid_T33_7_788_51/action_select

Good luck with your search, but they are all fine watches.

Cheers,

Revhard191

The Seikos look nice and can be had for decent prices on eBay, but looking at them makes me ask a question I've always wondered about.... what's the point of all these inset dials? I mean, one shows hours, one shows minutes, one shows seconds.... I already HAVE all that without any of the additional dials. Why would I want it twice?

There's a fun article in Business Week about a school
in Pennsylvania that trains watchmakers. Evidently
demand for high-end mechanical watches is up, but
good watchmakers are in short supply. Rolex is said
to be helping underwrite the school in Pennsylvania.

Good watchmakers need to be able to fabricate parts
in addition to just replacing parts/adjusting/cleaning/lubing.
It's quite a skill.

and i still want to know what the point is of having inset dials that tell you the same info that the old-school minute, hour and second hands already tell you.

i mean, insets look cool, but gimme some different functionality with them, i dunno, like barometric pressure or altitude or some crap :).

robr said:
and i still want to know what the point is of having inset dials that tell you the same info that the old-school minute, hour and second hands already tell you.

i mean, insets look cool, but gimme some different functionality with them, i dunno, like barometric pressure or altitude or some crap :).

Many of them are chronograph dials.

Ben said:
Many of them are chronograph dials.

exactly...You can perform a bunch of different functions with a chronograph ie. stopwatch, measuring km/hour, etc...

From TimeZone FAQ:

A chronograph is a watch that tells the time of day and also allows the user to time events of short-to-medium durations (i.e. from a few seconds to a few hours, typically). This is usually done in a mechanical watch through the central seconds hand, and one or more subdials (the regular, or continuous seconds, is also located on a dial). Chronographs are of varying usefulness, and are an interesting complication to put on a watch, as they often give the watch a sporty image. In addition to elapsed time, chronographs are often fitted with several scales designed to measure other things, such as pulse rate or units manufactured per hour. Mike Margolis has written a short discourse on chronograph scales.

A typical modern chronograph is operated with two pushers: one to start and stop the timing, and a second to reset the hands to zero when the timing is stopped. (In some older chronos with only one-button for control, the sequence of pushes was start-stop-reset - there was no provision to continue timing once the mechanism was stopped.)

Last edited:
Back