• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPA not happy with my exhaust :( and me not happy with dealer

Gents,

Got a notice in the mail to do a sound test because my new Taitec lightweight + headers are too loud.

I though the test was at idle or near to idle so I was not worried because the exhaust is pretty docile at low RPM. I found out the test it at 5500 rpm which I think is kinda high!

Kinda pissed to tell you the truth because I see big stonking v8's all the time here without issues - with our culture though, these always seem to be ok.

Oh well, the testers told me to put the OEM muffler back on - that should bring it under the 92 db I need - any suggestions if it does not? Do not want to remove the headers because of cost and the following reason :mad:

I went to the box of my old parts that I recieved from the dealer when I got the headers installed and I noticed the tail section (where the 02 sensor fits) of my OEM headers had been cut off!!!!!!!! When the parts were installed, I found out there was an adaptor missing from the headers the the muffler, so I asked them to make up an adaptor piece - the dealer is kinda far from me and I could not afford to bring it back there. They outsourced it to an exhaust place they said was reputable and that did a lot of their work.

I jacked the car up and sure enough, there is my chopped off peice attached the the new headers and exhaust :eek:

I rang the dealership and, well, I "spoke" to them about it and they seem very sorry about it and said they would figure something out - we'll see. I'll hold off judgement until I find out more.

All in all a very strange couple of days.

Hey Flight

See you are having a bad day. Firstly for Robert Lane to recommend someone like that they will not take any liability. They are the worst people to deal with because they are the only one in Melbourne with a NSX license for both sales and PARTS (cant understand that!!!!!). I know because they wanted $800 for the front mats and no else is allowed to sell them.

Looks like you are going to cop it hard. I dont know about yours, but my exhaust is pretty loud and the boys in blue dont even give it a second glance. You must of been doing some nice burnouts at the lights hey VIK. :biggrin:

Good luck with it all, maybe i should drive my car down there and compare it

Thank NetViper - i'll try and get them ASAP because the test needs to be done by next week.

I was really suprised to get the EPA notice because I have been babying my car recently - not driving even close to WOT. I guess I just got unlucky with a cop that did not like a young guy driving an NSX. Se lavi

Needless to say I am furious about the headers. I am not going to let them get away with it. Those OEM headers are MY property not theirs and they have no right to tough them without my permission.

The cops in Mill Park are nuts anways. I was on the recieving end of police abuse 3 years ago. That is a long story, but ever since it has been difficult to maintain a level of respect for the police in this area.

Sorry to hear your problem. :( I'm gonna sound like a newbie, but do you have any pix of what they did? I'm not sure exactly what part you're talking about.

<B>Dippy</B> : The boys in blue don't give you a second look because you're with the BOYZ IN BLACK!!! :D :D :D And everybody loves Dippy! (especially those autosalon models :rolleyes: ;) :D )

NeoNSX said:
Sorry to hear your problem. :( I'm gonna sound like a newbie, but do you have any pix of what they did? I'm not sure exactly what part you're talking about.

I attached a pic of the part the removed. Well I circled the part the removed from a picture I got here on prime. I hope the owner does not mind - I forgot who owns it. You'll notice it is the extention pipe from the actual extractor part of the system that has been butchered.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the fools forgot to attach the 2nd 02 sensor so my "check engine" and TCS lights keep comming on. I did not know this at the time of the install. They just told be the light kept comming on after they kept clearing the code. They fed me a line about the 02 sensor being further away than stock and I thought ... "unlikely since I have not heard anything about that on NSXprime, but it is possible". I left it at that for the moment and decided I would do som investigation.

Got home and checked my box of "goodies" (ie hacked up leftover parts and what have you) and my 02 sensor is in the box................. :confused:

Like dippy said, these fools are the only people allowed to work on, and supply parts (!!!???) for the NSX in Victoria????????????? I do not know what to say - we need to move.

Ghebha :

I think the EPA want ~ 75% of max RPM or RPM where MAX power is reached. I gotta check that.

Attachments

• chopped.JPG
    chopped.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 234
Hey Vik

there is going to be a NSx get together on Sunday. I really think that you should take the car to meet us so that we can look it over and compare it. Anyway it would be good to catch up with you. I'm sure if the Vic community gets together Robert Lane will listen if a bunch of us went down there with you and complained.

Can you post a pic of the actual exhaust so we can see the hack job????

I couldn't believe Robert Lane let someone do that, especially without informing you. They always call me straight away when i drop it for service, probably because there always seems to be something that they can rip me off on.

dippy9 said:
Can you post a pic of the actual exhaust so we can see the hack job????

ah yeah... sorry Vik i wasn't clear... yeah, that's what i meant too.

us melb boyz will have to join up with you and we'll go "sort out" the guys who did this to your NSX. ;) :D
And we could call Mr.Wolf... maybe he has connections down-under. :D

I would also suggest the silencers.I have them and they do help.

If the problem doesn't get solved I have that part lying around here from my 1991 NSX. I have DC-sport headers, OEM is nicely stuffed away in my garage. willing to help you out, so you don't have to buy a new one.
and I have the silencers too, they really help, but it stays loud at 5.5k. If you're revving up to 5,5k you are passing 3 and 4000, and just on those rpms there is this real loud 'vibration' in the muffler. (I have JGTC-version)

Ok, I got the car tested and it finally passed. I had to modify the OEM exhaust to get it to pass but all be cool now.

If anyone gets a notice like this from down under, let me know because I now know a hell of a lot about it all.

Dippy, car is back to normal so you are welcome to have a "loudest" NSX race now ;)

Back