• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS light came on after 3-week idle and cold-start @ cold temp

Hello! I did my requisite research on Prime before posting, but after ~3 week holiday season and coming home to temperatures that range from 30F - 60F, I cranked it for the first time, stuttered, then started. It stayed on for about 10 seconds, then with low idle, shut off again. I cranked again, and this time with some gas, it stayed on. However, the EPS light stayed engaged. Based on forum member feedback, I checked and reset the clock fuse as well as the EPS fuse. Didn't help. I checked battery contacts and both terminals looked fine with no obvious signs of build up. Few questions:

1) Any other ideas?
2) Is it safe to drive the car with EPS light on? Hard as hell, but is it doing any damage to the car?

thanks ahead of time!

I would first pull the code for the EPS light (short the service connector then turn the ignition on and count flashes). Then charge the battery, reset the EPS light, and see if it comes back. But that second part depends a bit in the code reported.

when my light came on and i lost eps, my tech told me to change the ignition switch. 15-20 minute replacement and eps returned and light went out. looking at the back of the switch, you could see where it got hot and the solder joints were coming loose.

when my light came on and i lost eps, my tech told me to change the ignition switch. 15-20 minute replacement and eps returned and light went out. looking at the back of the switch, you could see where it got hot and the solder joints were coming loose.

Yeah same thing happened to me. Ignition switch. Hey those things tend to go out after 20 years! LOL.

will not damage the car... but will be harder to steer when at a stand still.... while driving after 15mph( or so ) it shuts off anyway so it will handle normal

ditto to shawn and poster child. you just wind up with popeye arms.

The EPS control is very voltage sensitive. Before spending money on parts that might not be needed (yet), try charging the battery fully and see if that cures your problem. If that doesn't work, pull the codes. Good luck.

Back