• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ever have shingles??? Chicken Pox part 2

:frown: I went golfing the other day after sleeping about 4 hours the night before...Later that day I felt a sharp upper back pain along with a sunburn sensation in my left arm...Thinking I just tweaked my back and triggered a nerve, I just kinda ignored it...Then a couple days later I got a couple weird dime size blisters on my left chest and showed my wife and she said I had one on my back too...Now I'm starting to worry, I'm a bit of a hypercondriac
and thinking the worst(skin cancer):eek: so I finally go see a doctor on Monday and he tells me I have Shingles??? Basically it is chicken pox part 2..Apparently the chicken pox virus never goes away, it lays dormant in your spine and sometimes creeps back out using a nerve to surface...that is shingles...It sucks!!! I have them on my left side chest arm and back, luckily I didn't get the more dangerous facial ones:eek:...

I turned 40 last month and already falling apart...:redface:

just a heads up to us old farts(even some young ins too) if you get a weird burning sensation on your arms, back, neck etc. on one side of your body and notice a small skin rash the next day..go see a doctor right away..the quicker you treat it the better off you'll be...

I had them about 6 years ago. Stress with a new job brought them on, says the Dr. So much pain...nonstop....and I caught mine within a day. Just slightly annoying in the morning after a hot shower and full blown blisters and swelling by that night. Had I not been visiting my parents that day I would have suffered that night. My mom said "Its shingles, go to the Dr." Pain meds do help with this one.

Yes, I've had it. It sucks. Stress is the normal trigger and was for me as well.

I never had the chicken pox but I got shingles. My dad and mom always told me I was vaccinated for chicken pox and never had it. Stress was not a factor. Funny thing was I hung out over at a friend's house with one person who had chicken pox and then a few days later I got shingles. It just felt like an itchy headache at first. Funny how it only affects one side of the body.

i've never had them (knock on wood) but my father has beginning in his late 50's. pop says that drinking hot coffee helps calm his down ... i don't recall him taking any meds, though i think he does use a type of cream on his skin that helps soothe them a bit. seems to me an md is the best source for help.

good luck!

I never had the chicken pox but I got shingles. My dad and mom always told me I was vaccinated for chicken pox and never had it. Stress was not a factor. Funny thing was I hung out over at a friend's house with one person who had chicken pox and then a few days later I got shingles. It just felt like an itchy headache at first. Funny how it only affects one side of the body.

stress or anything that knock your immune system down a few notches...

My stepfather used to get them on his right side and he always used a cortisone cream to get them to calm down. Must have worked because I never heard him complain but then he had the pain tolerance of a mule.

don't mess with any young children or pregnant woman during the blistering phase.

If it's really shingles, blisters shouldn't be anywhere near dime-sized.

they aren't anymore:frown: it first appeared as a dime size pinkish rash...now it spread from chest to back and biceps....all on my left side....

sucks bad!!!:mad:

It's been about a week since the initial back pain and 5 days since the first blister appeared on my chest...I was prescribed Acyclovir and started taking it on Monday, so hopefully it will start to subside soon...

I had the shingles when I was around 10 or so. No clue why, no abnormal stress at the time, or at least nothing I remember specifically.
Man that sucks. What a miserable time. :frown:
I think I just lay down on a wet towel on the floor as much as I could. Did anything yo keep my mind off of it.

bump ...as we age ...lol I just started an anti viral because my nose and cheeks swelled a bit with some pain started 2 days ago...don't want to mess around if it is zoster of the face...

Thanks Steve...turns out it was just a nasal cellulitis from ingrown hair....But I can report that Famcyclovir is easily tolerated...:redface:

Thanks Steve...turns out it was just a nasal cellulitis from ingrown hair....But I can report that Famcyclovir is easily tolerated...:redface:
Sigh! Primates use to talk about hotest [sic] women, lap times, weight-training, and other "manly" stuffs. 25 years later, we are discussing dentures, arthritis, shingles, diapers, canes/walkers, and erectile dysfunction. How is that assisted living situation working out for you?
Steve

:biggrin:....the riddle of the sphinx.............

Back