• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ex-996TT owners?

Been looking at one for quite some time now. After test driving one i completely fell in love especially because its AWD. But what would you say about this being a DD? maintenance and such?

thanks

Not an owner:frown: but from what I've read on these, they are very reliable. Again, not an owner but I read alot about cars I can't have.:rolleyes: I was wondering why you were selling your car.

haha... its just an option for the future =] and im sure u can have one if you didnt spend so much on mods DAVID! lol

Been looking at one for quite some time now. After test driving one i completely fell in love especially because its AWD. But what would you say about this being a DD? maintenance and such?

thanks

C4S is similar to the TT without the engine. That one looks sweet too, but not sure about the reliability. Maintenance is probably cheaper than the TT.

Funny story. On my way home, I ran into a guy that had his wife pushing a Porsche. I think it was a early 2000 non-turbo model..... his power was COMPLETELY out, it died on the freeway. I mean nothing, as if the battery and alternator was dead but I never find out what the actual problem was.

I gave the guy a ride home as he didn't live very far, who left his wife at a motel... reason his wife did all the work? Because "she can't drive stick."
I wanted to ask why he didn't let her steer as the car was in neutral.. as she was pushing it on the side of the road. Loser.

Anyway, when's the last time you heard that happen in an NSX? :)

Funny story. On my way home, I ran into a guy that had his wife pushing a Porsche. I think it was a early 2000 non-turbo model..... his power was COMPLETELY out, it died on the freeway. I mean nothing, as if the battery and alternator was dead but I never find out what the actual problem was.

I gave the guy a ride home as he didn't live very far, who left his wife at a motel... reason his wife did all the work? Because "she can't drive stick."
I wanted to ask why he didn't let her steer as the car was in neutral.. as she was pushing it on the side of the road. Loser.

Anyway, when's the last time you heard that happen in an NSX? :)

you can't judge one porsche from all the others... :rolleyes: from most people ive heard the 911's are bulletproof

from most people ive heard the 911's are bulletproof

I'm curious to what degree they're bulletproof. Are they bulletproof relative to older porsches, or are they anywhere close to honda bulletproof.
The only reason I ask is I never see anyone daily driving 911s.

The words bulletproof and 996TTs go hand in hand?

I thought RMS issues were very prevalent in these cars even going up through the 997 models.

And try to convince my buddy who bought one and turned around and sold his 2002 model within 3 months.....

The words bulletproof and 996TTs go hand in hand?

I thought RMS issues were very prevalent in these cars even going up through the 997 models.

And try to convince my buddy who bought one and turned around and sold his 2002 model within 3 months.....

They are prety good, RMS issues seemed to drop off in 04 as far I know. PPI is a must with these issues as many people beat them and didnt keep up with the maint.

My '04 TT had the Giac Flash and stage1 upgrades (550hp). These car love to drink oil, other than that they are a blast to DD (but a bit heavy for the track). Modifying Pcars will also make NSX parts look really cheap:smile:

Thanks Mike and Larry for the added info.

I wasn't trying to dissuade the OP from getting one. I just went off my buddy's experience and what I've read on the forums.

Thanks Mike and Larry for the added info.

I wasn't trying to dissuade the OP from getting one. I just went off my buddy's experience and what I've read on the forums.

Im probably going to pick one up for my collection, probably going for a GT2. Ive been doing a ton of research. I debated this, a 360, or maybe an ultra clean 993 TT or 2 less expensive classic's.

I am currently researching this very subject and am looking for a 996tt for a daily driver. They have a different engine than all other 996 except for GT2 and GT3. There have been very serious issues with all 996 cars except for the Turbo and GTs; its a different block. I need the AWD and the better engine so the Turbo is the choice. Didn't want the Turbo initially but the reliability issues with all 996s eliminated them from contention. I will still keep the NSX.

BTW the prices on the Torbo have plumetted so this is a great time to get one.

Tytus

I think 996TTs are great cars, admittedly I only had one for a few months when I completed the remainder of a friends lease. Personally, although the performance was great and daily drive-ability was not problem the interior of the 997 is much nicer and for the same money I would get an 05-06 997S over a 996TT, IMHO.

I bought a used 996C2 non-turbo that I used as a daily driver for 4 years, and it was great...no complaints at all. It did have to have the RMS replaced once, but in my opinion people make way too much of a big deal about it. It felt very similar to my NSX except with a bit more low end torque.

During several years of owning a 996 you might have to replace the RMS once, so you take it to a dealer for a $800 fix (virtually all labor cost) which takes one day, and you're done...no biggie. Or if you're changing the clutch, you do the RMS at the same time. Keep in mind the RMS issue is only prevalent on the "narrow body" 996 AND 997 models. The "wide body" 996TT and 997TT don't have RMS problems.

I also had a 996TT for 3 years which started out as a daily driver. Then my office moved 33 miles away, so I bought a 2nd car to split all the miles alternating days. Maintenance is not bad considering you only have to take it in every 15K miles. However repairs can be expensive. Common things that fail are: Coolant tank, MAF, clutch accumulator, clutch slave cylinder, spoiler hydrolics, etc... You can plan on spending between $700-$1200 for any of those items above at a dealer. A blown head gasket or motor will be big bucks, but that's no different than the nsx motor.

That being said, the prices on 996TT's are incredibly low right now. You can pickup a cherry low mileage 01' 996TT for $40K easy. Porsche prices are very mileage sensitive. It's not worth getting a 996C4S considering you can get an 01' 996TT for virtually the same price. Just flash the ecu and get an exhaust, and you're pushing 500HP at the crank. I would stomp on my friend's 91' nsx without having to rev over 4500rpm.

The Porsches are not on par with the NSX in terms of reliability, but they are definitely far better than Ferraris or Lambos. I would still suggest getting an extended warranty. If I had to do it all over again today and buy a Porsche as a DAILY driver, I'd just get an 02+ 996C2s or 997C2S and put on the GT3 body kit.

I would stomp on my friend's 91' nsx without having to rev over 4500rpm.

Yes, but that would only happen occasionally. The rest of the time you were sitting in the aforementioned '91 NSX while being shuttled to the shop to pick up/drop off the 996tt.

If I had to do it all over again today and buy a Porsche as a DAILY driver, I'd just get an 02+ 996C2s or 997C2S and put on the GT3 body kit.

One of our friends had this done. It now looks very dated to me and apparently to him too; he never drives it.

the prices on 996TT's are incredibly low right now.

Excellence magazine has a Market Update on the 911 turbo recently,
and mentioned the 996 Turbos "are among the best used-Porsche values
on the market". I was looking at used M3/M5/997 but picked up a 996T
instead. I think it's a great daily driver. Maintenance is not cheap relative
to Honda/Acura.

Considering that you're in Denver, I think a 996TT would be an excellent DD with the AWD and the boost :biggrin:

Brian

996TT is a different car from a non-turbo 996.
The block (case) is the exact same one used by the GT1 when it won LeMans.
The car is known as bulletproof. No RMS issues.
Engine internals are said to be good to 600HP which is easily achievable with Turbo/intercooler/re-flash mods.

That said the King of the Hill is the GT2. A 996TT on steroids.

Separates the men from the boys. Its called the widowmaker.
Like illnesses; if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger.

Well I just bought a 996tt to be a DD. Balls to the walls fun to drive and it's my NSX substitute for the winter. NSX stays in hibernation until spring. The only down side is mpg my first around town tank with lots of very spirited accelleration I got 14.5 mpg, just like my suburban. I am hoping that on longer trips it will do better, but I didn't buy it for the mileage but the range issue of only 200-250 miles can be annoying. NSX is much more comfortable, quieter and softer if stock; and the view out is the best of all cars I have ever driven. The 996tt will dust the X at speed but that is about it.

Get the Turbo but you will miss the X, it's not really a replacement, best to have both if you can. I bought the 996 due to the extremely low prices you can get for them now and they are more common and don't attract as much attention as an X, so it is a much better DD if you have the same goals.

Good luck in your search,

Tytus

Okay, I haven't owned one but I did a fair amount of research in buying one since I looked at a used 996TT. It had some nice mods on it too. The first generation water cooled engines haven't been as reliable as the 993 models that were air cooled. That was mostly in the first few years but overall Porsche makes a very good car that will run forever.

Look at the used prices for a 996 and a good 993 model. If both have the same miles and a turbo the 993 will sell for more actually in a lot of cases. I found this odd and it concerned me regarding the 996 models. The 996 is the cheapest and best deal in many ways I thought hence why I wanted one. I had looked at 6speedonline and found some nice used cars but here is the problem. If the car does have an engine, brake or other issue it will cost you since the parts are pricey on those cars. Man, to fix some issues that we have on the NSX would be 3x or 4x what we pay for parts. Make sure it is maintained but that goes without saying I guess.

Hey guys, I hate to resurrect this thread, but all of ya'll seem much more knowledgeable than me about the P-cars. I had my NSX for 10 years, 3 of which were supercharged. I sold it to go the "respectable family route", but I'm still single, and the itch is strong.

Anyway, I came across this car online - http://www.chicagomotorcars.com/web...he-911/996 Carrera GT2--WEST CHICAGO-Illinois

Can anyone give me their opinion/take on this? I just test drove a 2009 Z06 today, and it was much better than I was expecting, and the power was intoxicating, but let's face is, as my only car/DD, I think it was overkill, and it doesn't have the exclusivity.

Does this Porsche GT2 seem reasonable? Or complete and total overkill for someone that wants a sporty, good handling, powerful acceleration car? Note that I am saying "powerful acceleration" as in more than a stock NSX, but I was completely satisfied with the power on the CTSC.

Perfect timing. I was just looking at the Porsche listings at Chicago Motor Cars last night.

I just test drove a 2009 Z06 today, ... and it doesn't have the exclusivity.
To 99% of the people, a GT2 looks just like any other 911 (or Boxster!), and is not "exclusive".

Does this Porsche GT2 seem reasonable? Or complete and total overkill for someone that wants a sporty, good handling, powerful acceleration car? Note that I am saying "powerful acceleration" as in more than a stock NSX, but I was completely satisfied with the power on the CTSC.
With PCCB, GT2s are utterly overkill as DDs. The 450+ horses will give you the acceleration you're looking for. No AWD, no PSM. How many track days do you do every year?

Last edited:
Thanks EK, appreciate the reply. I don't currently track, and to be honest if this was my DD I am not sure how much I could track (although Central Texas has had a few tracks open recently nearby).

I was looking at a post on a Porsche forum about the cost of replacement of the brake rotors, and don't think that this car would be ok for me.

It's sad, but after all this time, all the other manufacturers, I am not seeing something on par with the NSX as a replacement...

Perfect timing. I was just looking at the Porsche listings at Chicago Motor Cars last night.

To 99% of the people, a GT2 looks just like any other 911 (or Boxster!), and is not "exclusive".

With PCCB, GT2s are utterly overkill as DDs. The 450+ horses will give you the acceleration you're looking for. No AWD, no PSM. How many track days do you do every year?

Back