• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Excessive Cost for New Clutch?

I have owned my 01 NSX since April 06 and cannot say enough about the car. It is an incredible automobile. When I purchased the car I had the timing belt, water pump and some other major maintenance performed. The car currently has approx. 71K miles on it and I believe it requires a new clutch. I just received a quote from Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg, MD of $4,782. According to the service tech the fly well alone is $2,313. Based on what I have read on this site this price seems quite high. Does anyone have any input, suggestions, etc? Thank you!

kamikazi4you said:
Based on what I have read on this site this price seems quite high.
It's high, but you may be recalling prices for clutch replacements for the earlier cars. A clutch replacement typically costs $2000-2500 for a '91-96 NSX, and $3200-4000 or so for a '97-05 NSX. So yes, it is a bit higher than typical, but make sure you're comparing it to other six-speed clutch replacements, and not those for the earlier five-speed.

Thank you all for the information. I was actually unaware that a flywheel could be resurfaced. My subsequent research indicates that resurfacing is not recommended on dual-mass flywheels and I have no idea if the NSX flywheel is dual-mass. The RPS Stage 2 clutch seems like a viable cost effective option. The question becomes where do you get a non OEM clutch installed? I will check this site for some techs in the Baltimore / Washington area.

Again thank you all, this site is the best.

If you don't have any reputable independent NSX techs near you, the dealer can install the RPS clutch. I had my RPS installed at the local dealer. I'm sure it cost a bit more than an independent shop, but it's also got a strong company standing behind the work.

I'll quickly share my experience to help you make your decision.

I bought an OEM 'refurbished clutch' with new clutch discs for $750 from a not so nice person on either ebay or prime (I would rather not get into leaving the name of the person). I have a stock 1992, 5 speed of course with the double plate clutch. I had it installed which costs about $1000 in labor. It did not disengage well for whatever reason (installed by Morande Acura in Berlin CT who I've had good luck with). So then I paid $1700 for a new factory clutch plus an additional $1000 to put in. Now its fine.

Total: $4,450

Some days it rains, some days it pours. Unless you know someone who can accurately tell you that a refurbished anything in the tranny is exactly to spec. I would avoid it. Its just too much in labor to make the mistake I did. May my misfortune keep enlighten your decision.

I just ordered an RPS clutch for my 93 through a local tuner shop. Price for Prime members is $1600 and that includes Free shipping and handling. Clutch should be here in about a week. I'll post again once I receive the clutch, and include pics. PM me for details and contact info in order to keep these low prices.

Last edited:
Back