• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Exotic Owners Code of Conduct

To an owner who questions the NSX as an exotic, I would ask, "Are you really an NSX enthusiast?" I doubt a true enthusiast would disparage his car and if it were dirty he would feel guilty. He would be able to argue with facts that the NSX is indeed an exotic. And he would help little old ladies cross the street. That's what enthusiasts do.

To an owner who questions the NSX as an exotic, I would ask, "Are you really an NSX enthusiast?" I doubt a true enthusiast would disparage his car and if it were dirty he would feel guilty. He would be able to argue with facts that the NSX is indeed an exotic. And he would help little old ladies cross the street. That's what enthusiasts do.

ur being sarcastic right? u weren't serious were u?

First of all, To call a NSX an exotic is using the term very loosely to say the least. Second of all I agree with "WHITENSX". My Lotus is a true exotic and it cost me a third less than the NSX. Also my NSX is a DD, so its mostly always dirty and now has a front end full of rock chips and I love it! And my "exotic" Lotus is sitting in the Garage with a layer of dust on it and a dead battery cause I was too lazy to put the trickle charger on it. But guess what its mine and I'm not a good "rules" follower LOL.
12576_.jpg

Exotic Owners CoC said:
I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets.
Today may be as good as it gets... Carpe diem.

Whether the rest of it matters - that's up to you. :eek:

Someone's just overtaken me while I was courteously following the speed limit, they give me the bird too so and so Im rifling through the pages of my Code of Conduct right now to sort out an appropriate reply so I don't end up on YouTube...any ideas?:rolleyes:

BTW: Mine for $18k and the '91s will be going for less soon. Still great for a 17 year old car :)

HAHAHA WTF, you got a steal on the 18k but that is in no way the norm, and going for less soon? Doubtful!

To call a NSX an exotic is using the term very loosely to say the least. My Lotus is a true exotic and it cost me a third less than the NSX.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Having owned a Lotus Turbo Esprit I find that extremely funny! The only thing exotic about a Lotus is the frequency and nature of mechanical failures. Mine loved to have the intake manifold fail and spew coolant all over the place every six months or so. Now that's exotic!

The NSX is so vastly superior to that British piece of shit that it's like comparing an F-16 to a Sopwith Camel.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Having owned a Lotus Turbo Esprit I find that extremely funny! The only thing exotic about a Lotus is the frequency and nature of mechanical failures. Mine loved to have the intake manifold fail and spew coolant all over the place every six months or so. Now that's exotic!

The NSX is so vastly superior to that British piece of shit that it's like comparing an F-16 to a Sopwith Camel.

Just because your Lotus is the frequency and nature of mechanical failures does not mean its not an exotic:rolleyes:

And NOBODY here was argueing that the NSX is not vastly superior!!! You came out of left field on that one.

My only point to my post is that the OP's list was not one that I follow. don't turn it into something its not.

My only point to my post is that the OP's list was not one that I follow. don't turn it into something its not.
I thought your point was -

Greg Z said:
To call a NSX an exotic is using the term very loosely to say the least.

I would argue that all day, especially if you're going to claim the Esprit is an exotic and the NSX isn't, as you seem to do here.

Greg Z said:
My Lotus is a true exotic

And NOBODY here was argueing that the NSX is not vastly superior!!! You came out of left field on that one.

Nobody except you Greggie. I came out of right field actually, I'm a Republican. :biggrin:

Greg Z said:
To call a NSX an exotic is using the term very loosely to say the least.

Boy am I super tired of the shitty attitudes everyone has with regards to the NSX and it being an Exotic. In my part of the world you are lucky to see a half dozen a year. All you SoCal members probably see a half dozen on the way to work....

That said I opted to browse a few websites that provide their "opinion" on what constitutes and exotic. I found this one of interest. NSX seems to hit a lot of the high points (weight, material, seating, mid engine, more uncommon that most, size, shape, etc.).

What is an Exotic Car

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you ever pulled up to a stop light, minding your own business, and the most incredible car pulls up quickly stopping next to you? Then, after staring at the car and then being caught by the driver, you can't help but wonder what is that? You've never seen anything like it an yet you think, is that the car I just read about in my favorite car magazine?

So, do you find yourself wondering, exactly what is an exotic car? To start with, as with any explanation, it helps to begin with the official definition of "Exotic".

ex·ot·ic /ɪgˈzɒtɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ig-zot-ik]

–adjective

1. of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized: exotic foods; exotic plants.

2. strikingly unusual or strange in effect or appearance: an exotic hairstyle.

3. of a uniquely new or experimental nature: exotic weapons.

4. of, pertaining to, or involving stripteasing: the exotic clubs where strippers are featured.
–noun

5. something that is exotic: The flower show included several tropical exotics with showy blooms.

6. an exotic dancer; stripper.

In this case, we'll go with number 2, simply because the others don't fit when referencing an automobile. We'll avoid the initial, number 1 definition as not all exotic cars are foreign in the US and the last term has nothing to do with cars, except that most exotic cars are considered sexy. That's all that will be mentioned on THAT subject.

There are a variety of "laymen" definitions for what an exotic car may be described. Some think that it's a car that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not necessarily true. A humbly priced Lotus Elise is considered exotic, yet is priced around $50K. Others view an exotic car as one that has doors that spring forward or are gulled like wings. There are a number of exotics that have "normal" opening doors, so that's not necessarily an accurate approach. For the most uninitiated, they may surmise that an exotic is only of Italian or German decent and manufacture. Again, not necessarily true. There have been numerous British exotics, America has it's share of specialty exotic manufactures and the Netherlands has yet it's own form of exotic car builder.

Probably the best most common thought about what an exotic car is, can be boiled down to one simple statement. Do you see one every day? Or, simply put, would you see one on your bumper to bumper traffic laden commute? If the answer is no, then it's probably close to being exotic. If you live near a Ferrari or Lamborghini dealer, hob knob in Beverly Hills or have a home near Miami, then it may not be an fair assessment. However, for the 99% of us that live in average city locations, typically seeing an exotic every day is not normal. There are some that have only seen such cars at car shows and or on the rare occasion on a major freeway connecting two cities. Since there are numerous web sites with "Sighting" posting sections, it's probably a pretty accurate definition on the "rarity" of an exotic, making this a pretty accurate layman’s definition of "exotic car".

With that in mind, an exotic car can also be considered a daily driver, but rarely seen. Many exotic car owners like to drive their cars as much as possible, but keep it to a minimum due to mileage restrictions they put on themselves so as to keep the resale value high. In most major cities, there are usually a higher number of exotic car owners than one may perceive. Most exotic cars spend time in garages, show rooms and/or collections. However, there are still a larger number of owners that prefer to take their car out on special occasions and just drive it.

There are many additional areas that can make up an exotic car definition besides just rarity. Items such as extremely different shape and size are common elements of an exotic car. Special composites that make up the frame or body are also areas that set an exotic car apart from their daily commuter brethren. Powerful engines usually installed in the rear are one of the more commonly thought about elements. Shifting mechanisms, starter buttons and flat bottom steering wheels are a few other less unusual, but common amongst exotics.

Shape. Many exotics have an extremely uncommon shape. They typically are very "Striking" or notice able both sitting at a light, gas pump or being driven down the road. Most exotics have taken on shapes that rival many show cars or concept cars, but that have been put into production as a fully operational drive able car. Shapes like wedges and hour glass are common visions.

Size. A number of exotics are actually small by comparison to the standard sedan or coupe. Almost all exotics are a 2 seater, with the occasional version that may have a "token" back seat. Some of the larger exotics, such as the Bentley are getting large enough in size to actually accommodate rear passengers. However, many of the truly exotics are made for two and commonly are less than 3 feet tall. Egress can be challenging at times, which makes for another case for definition of an exotic and it's non-commonality. The majority of exotics are sports related with small sizes and big powerful engines.

Composites. Many if not all exotics are made up of space age or light weight materials slowly finding their way into the larger auto makers. Most of todays aluminum's and carbon fibers were first made popular on one exotic brand or another. Light material or new composites that make up the engine compartment are very common amongst exotics.

Engines and weight. A majority of exotics are made up of small size in stature and length, usually outfitted with large powerful engines. The power to weight ratio make it a lethal if not down right illegal combination, thus making it even more exotic.

All in all, exotics are not your run of the mill daily driver. Rather, they are something striking and unusual, yet beautiful and very very eye catching. Most if not all are rarely seen and thus make it the primary definition for the majority of our population. Regardless of your gender, it's almost impossible to not stare at the unusual, strikingly different exotic car sitting next to you at that red light. Go ahead and stare. It may be a while before you see another exotic car!

Haven't we beaten this thing dead yet? This thread has been on here seems like forever. Nobody is going to conduct themselves like me nor will I conduct myself like them. Can we put this on page 5 now???

NSX = Supercar :tongue:

OK what's my TRUE H1? I don't see many on them :confused:

The only thing I don't understand is WHY people that own the NSX or not............care :smile:

Love my car and It's a great cheap track car with potential off the showroom floor.

I like that.

I thought your point was -

I would argue that all day, especially if you're going to claim the Esprit is an exotic and the NSX isn't, as you seem to do here.

No, that wasn't my POINT. It was simply a comment that was in my post.

I own both cars and stick by what I say.
For example, would everyone agree that an F-car or Lambo was a true exotic? I would think yes. F & L car owners all agree a Lotus is also an exotic, less superior, but still an exotic nevertheless. Now go to F-chat and ask those guys if they think the NSX is an exotic:biggrin:

No, that wasn't my POINT. It was simply a comment that was in my post.

I own both cars and stick by what I say.
For example, would everyone agree that an F-car or Lambo was a true exotic? I would think yes. F & L car owners all agree a Lotus is also an exotic, less superior, but still an exotic nevertheless. Now go to F-chat and ask those guys if they think the NSX is an exotic:biggrin:

First- why do I care what Ferrari owners think? At what point did the owners of Italian exotics become the official panel of exotic-ness? Is it because all Ferrari products are considered exotic?

If you look at it objectively, I don't know- I mean, is a Ferrari 308, or Mondial really an Exotic? By "todays standards"? And by that I mean the same standards people use to strip the NSX of it's exotic status?

That is where the issue lies for me- those that say the NSX "was" exotic, but isn't anymore because it was designed in the late 80's early 90's. For some reason people are willing to believe that a hand built Acura/Honda could be an exotic at one time, but lose that status, while a Ferrari, or a Lambo, or a Lotus, or whatever is born an exotic and will remain exotic into perpetuity- even though the things that made it exotic in the first place are no longer unusual, unique or even interesting.

If you are going to call a Lotus Esprit that was designed in the 60's an "Exotic", then I can't see why you turn your back on the NSX based on the same criteria. If it is because the F-Chat fan boi's would agree with you, then I think you need to remember the mission statement the NSX was created to fulfill. The NSX was built by Honda to prove that an Exotic car didn't have to be a piece of unreliable crap. The NSX was a direct assault on the makers of Exotic cars to up their game and improve their product.

It worked too- compare the build quality of a 348 to that of a 355 sometime.

Lambo has changed ownership a multitude of times and is now owned and operated by Ze-Germans

Lotus uses Toyota engines now (the Eagle is getting a (gasp) Camry V-6)...

I wonder why? :wink:

Instead of being grateful, the "exotic" fans are spiteful.

Face it, the NSX gets hated on because it is as reliable as an Accord. People make that association and catagorize it as mundane. If you own one, or have a least driven one you ought to know better. F-chat is packed with a few owners, and an assload of fan boys. This is why it shocks me when members here deride their own vehicles based on some bullshit opinions of a bunch of guys who might own a Ferrari- but probably just own Ferrari T-shirts. True Ferrari enthusiasts tend to like the NSX.
The Ferrari club members I met at the Keels and Wheels concourse didn't seem to have an issue agreeing that the NSX belonged in the exotic paddock with them. A few even commented about their own NSX ownership experiences and how much they liked the car.

Here you made me comment... I hope your satisfied. :tongue:

Philip

Last edited:
The NSX is an exotic? :confused: Says who?

I thought it was a Super Duper Civic
I swear I thought the link was going to ferrari forum.

Agreed. It's basically just a really nice civic...

My Ferrari was an exotic. :tongue:My Lotus was an exotic.:tongue: My NSX is NOT an exotic. It's a HONDA for god sakes. It's just a fun car... that's all.

By any rational definition of "exotic", the NSX qualifies as one.

Handbuilt, exotic materials, high performance, exclusivity of ownership -- the list goes on. I would even include the dreaded "s" word.

Problem is, enthusiasts are rarely "rational" when it comes to this sort of thing. For some it will always be "just a Honda", just like the Civic in your garage or the lawnmower in your shed. Just remember -- Lamborghini makes farm equipment, too.

You guys are kidding right? I mean seriously, put a 17 year old NSX up against 95% of todays 'supercars' and the test results will prove themselves. It may not hit the top end of an Enzo. It may not slalom like a new Lotus. It may not break the price barrier of an F450... but it will start, it will run, it will grab attention, it will have a great resale, it will take your breath away, and, it will do it while remaining humble and not overstepping it's bounds as a daily driver.

If you really have to categorize your NSX... please, do me a favor and put it in the class of being a 'REALLY' car. If you work hard, you can 'really' own one. If you want parts, you can 'really' find and afford them. If you aren't an A-hole while driving, people will 'really' want to talk to you. If you 'really' are that concerned about what to call your car... then you're 'really' a dick.

Just because it's from Italy doesn't make it exotic. That would make my ex mother-in-law's mustache 'exotic'.

Back