• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Exposing Nsxpo

Greetings and salutations, all you lucky NSX owners. Jake here, a private investigator and part time comic book writer for Pulp Fiction Investigations. I’m based out of “Sack of tomatoes”, Sacramento to you out of towners. I’m in between cases right now and I got some time on my hands, so I thought I’d let you what you already know; you got something good goin’ here. Really good. This is just an outsider’s perspective, but I’m gonna tell you a little story about how I know.

I was sitting in the waiting room at Niello Acura getting an oil change on my 1987 Integra, painted California avocado green. People gag on the color, which is going on 200,000 miles. “That’s nothing”, I tell them, “the motor’s got over 300,000. But Niello does all my work, so what do you expect?” I refuse to let them wash it though. It was a hot and still day in River City. That’s gumshoe talk for anybody’s hometown. Mine happens to be Sacramento, CA but I told you that already. Are you payin’ attention? I’m waiting for the sun to go down and the Delta breeze to come up. Neither was happening fast enough. <sweat> The pit stain was spreading on my cream colored shirt that was originally white.

I cased the room, as I always do. Ya see, being in the business I’m in, I’m honin’ my skills alla time, ya know, ya gotta stay sharp in this business or you’re gonna get run over. No one in the waiting room but some high fashion dude with neatly pressed dockers and a snappy looking polo shirt. I checked him out, as I always do……….nothing gets by me. I squinted at the embroidery on his expensive black polo shirt. “NSXPO 1999”. Always making small talk, I pick up whatever I can (I watch a lot of old Colombo shows, that guy was good). Sounding casual, I ask “1999 was a long time ago, Slim, what’s so special about '99 and what the hell is a no sexpo?” I was dying to fire up that Lucky Strike stuck behind my ear but this is California and they’re trying to drive us smokers crazy with their clean air laws.

He glanced up from his magazine 'NSX Driver' (nothing gets by me). “Well, my friend, (I hate it when a stranger calls me friend) NSXPO is a special event based on a special car and 99 was my favorite. And now, were’ planning for the annual gathering of NSX owners and enthusiasts right here in sunny California. NSX? My mind was racing , an NSX ……….. I saw one of those once…………………where the heck was that???……..oh yeah, that Pulp Fiction movie, how could I forget?………yeah, that guy was cool, taking charge, just like me on the case.” The dude is not waiting for me to catch up and rambles on. “Each of the previous NSXPO’s, starting with the first one in Denver in 1997 have been an unqualified success, but this year the planning committee and I will deliver the mother of all NSXPOs, the benchmark for future events.” Pretty big talk, I’m thinking, but I didn’t back off an inch. I squinted slightly and hit him right between the eyes with this penetrating question: “And just how you gonna do that, my friend?” When in Rome……….

Hrant, as he’s affectionately called at Niello Acura, ever the suave gentleman, leaned back, adjusted his ascot, savored the aroma from his glass of Charles Shaw Merlot, (nothing gets by me) and mused: “Well, where do I start?” I wondered where he got the wine; Two Buck Chuck, we call it, the best kept secret east of Reno. That one got by me. Mighty peculiar. Niello is high class and all, but Starbucks and Krispy Kremes was all I could ever find.

Hold that thought, it’s time for me to head down to the Blue Note………..late nite jazz. I’ll get back to you more about this joker Hrant and the big No Sexpo gig coming up.

Great post! You ought to meet Mr. Wolf - you two would make quite a team!

For those who are wondering what NSXPO is all about and what's planned for this year, there's information about NSXPO 2003 at the NSXPO website.

NSXprime has some good write-ups on previous NSXPOs, which will also give you some idea of what it's all about; just click on each link below:

NSXPO 2002 (Texas)

NSXPO 2001 (Wisconsin)

NSXPO 2000 (Georgia)

NSXPO 1999 (California)

NSXPO 1998 (Ohio)

Hey...maybe this guy could be an additional "entertainer" at the "expo?" (kidding of course) I'm curious to see Hrant's response....as nothing gets by him either! (LOL)

Yo Brian ......... either you are fishing for info or trying to stir things up ............ LOL!

After a week, I am still mulling over a response as I am sure this slick wannabe Colombo and part time hungry city dude reporter, aka Super Sleuth (reminds me of the Drudge Report guy) is laying a trap for me, you know the kind I am talking about, ....... they schmooze you for those nuggets and then they watch you being humbled and humiliated to size while they hide behind a pen pal name or invoke their 1st amendment rights ......

And I bet you he gets paid by the number of words he types on a page and not content, otherwise how many reporters do you know that drive a 1987 Avocado Integra?! I also bet you that he probably still has those Avocado green countertops and appliances in his bachelor apartment .......... ROFTL

Last edited:
"laying a trap for me" :rolleyes:

Now Hrant, did I misquote you even a tiny bit? Don't be so paranoid, or you'll end up like your sidekick, that sawed off "Sheriff" you were telling me about.

Don't interrupt me, I'm telling the story here. OK folks where were we? Oh yeah, I left you hanging when I sauntered down to the Blue Note the other nite, didn’t I? Whew!! Wadda nite……….turned into the next day and we barely noticed. What day is it anyway? I lost track.

Anyway, back at Niello Acura’s waiting room, this very de-bone-air Hrant was blathering on about how great this No Sexpo, excuse me, that’s NSXPO was gonna be. So, then I says to him, “OK, Mr. Hrant”, (you big shot), what’s so great about wine country that cool important people in expensive exotic cars want to come out here from all over the country?”

“Ah yes,” he said with a knowing smile (or was it a smirk?) on his mug. “Quite simply, the ambiance, and the quiet sedate glamour. Who hasn’t heard about the west coast and wine country and the San Francisco Bay area? Was Tony Bennett kidding when he crooned “I left my Heart in San Francisco”? I don’t think so. (Ha, I say to myself, he’s thinking Tony Bennett, and I’m thinking Otis Redding; I better take him down to the Blue Note next time) “Please remember’, he says (he’s soooooooo polite) “the rest of the country has just come out of the tremendous heat, tornados, and wild weather of a typical summertime. The wine country, on the other hand, enjoys a temperate, marine climate all year round. We will be smack in the middle of an “Indian summer” with warm days and cool evenings. Remind me to bring my NSX wind breaker or better yet, my NSX monogrammed evening jacket for such an elegant occasion and location.” He takes out his PDA and taps on it a while. I pull out a slightly used tooth pick and chew on it awhile, waiting. :rolleyes:

Still tapping, he says, “And stuff to do? My god, there’s no end. Pier 39…………..you ever see ‘The Bush man’ jump out from behind his bush on the sidewalk and scare the bejesus (and maybe a delicious Dungeness crab lunch) out of the poor mid-westerners? I fell down laughing the first time I saw him. Do you realize, he’s been a fixture there on Fisherman’s wharf since ’78? I always tip him a five spot for the show.”

“How about a tour of Alcatraz Island? The ghost of the Bird man soars every tour there. That is if you can take your eyes off the magnificent Golden Gate bridge. Of course, you’re right there on the Bay where they will just happen, let me say that again, just happen to have the famous Blue Angels flying in the Fleetweek airshow Thursday thru Sunday. He looks up and salutes at the ceiling. Will they fly under the Golden Gate Bridge? Maybe. And then there’s the Parade of Ships and International yacht racing regatta.” (There he goes with those big words; I don’t know what a regatta is, ………sounds like Italian lunch. Probably pretty good. I should order that sometime.)

I’m all ears and Hrant’s my buddy now. “Or how about a ride on the street car? Well, maybe for you that wouldn’t be such a good idea…………you have to hang on you know. No offense, but you look like you’d lose interest and your grip about the same time.” Well, he had a point there. I was staring at him like a bloodhound watching a ceiling fan. :eek: Sometimes, I think too hard. I came to my senses thinking; Hey this guy is all right.

“Hey, how about Chinatown?” I counter. “You ever see that movie?” “Even a Sack of Tomatoes bumpkin like you could do all right in Chinatown at night. We could put away some Dim Sum.” He was smirking and I didn’t want to know why. I wanted to tell him what else there is to do in “The City” at night, but I figured he couldn’t handle it.

Shifting gears, he goes, “Well, my friend, if you had kids and family, (like that was ever possible) you would want to visit Marine World or maybe drive up to the Muir woods and see Redwood trees you can’t see the tops of. Trees big enough that they cut car size holes in them so you can drive thru. How about that? Not many of those in Florida. And be sure to go out to Point Reyes and see one of the most famous lighthouses on the west coast. Put big rocks in the pockets of the kids or they might blow away.” “Yeah”, I say, “Nothing like a strong wind and the salty smell of the sea breeze to make you wish they still made Old Spice aftershave, huh?” He looks at me like I’m a California politician explaining the deficit. “Hey, I just like old stuff. Is that a crime?” Good thing I’m too old to skateboard.

Talking faster now, like he’s an auctioneer or somethin’, “Of course, the big draw is the Napa and Sonoma valleys………….and the many varied and interesting wineries. Big ones, little quaint family ones………….and brandy distilleries (you ever listen to the ghostly chants of the monks floating up from the barrel caverns?) And the cool champagne cellars. And the CIA is here.” “Tell me about it”, I chime in, “they’re everywhere.” “No, no, no, not them, the C-I-A: Culinary Institute of America”, where the great chefs get their start. And people think we only make wine here. Ha! The Francis Ford Coppola's winery has a museum, of all things. You ever see an original Tucker automobile? Simply amazing. And we got the Wine Train. Have a gourmet lunch and premier wine samples in an elegant old dining car as it chugs past all the vineyards and wineries of the Napa Valley. Deeeeee-lux. Oh yeah, NSXPO is coming up in just a few months. It won’t be long.”

Just then my pager went off and I could tell by the vibration it was a dame. A hot dame. Very hot. My mind was racing. Was this a Blue Note note? Oh yeah, it’s coming back to me now. Just before last call she sauntered over to my corner of the bar. I’d been having an imaginary conversation with Mickey Spillane. He was a comic book writer too, ya know. So she says to me, “You’re new around here aren’t you?” “Naw” I slurred, knocking back my last Jack. Jerking my thumb at the clock behind me, I drawled, “I been here since 3.”

Excuse me, I got a pressing job to do. Catch me later. ;)

Hrant:

This guy knows you well, even though you spent limited time with the Sluth.

Some how, this guy's gotta come to the EXPO. He's actually a bit funny!;)

Re: "laying a trap for me" :rolleyes:

Super Sleuth said:
Who hasn’t heard about the west coast and wine country and the San Francisco Bay area? Was Tony Bennett kidding when he crooned “I left my Heart in San Francisco”? I don’t think so. (Ha, I say to myself, he’s thinking Tony Bennett, and I’m thinking Otis Redding; I better take him down to the Blue Note next time)

After reading this, I started wondering whether the "dock of the bay" in Otis Redding's song was out west, considering that he was from Macon, Georgia. So I checked out his biography on his website, and sure enough, it says:

THE SONG --- It was unlike anything he had ever written, influenced by Redding's admiration for the Beatles' classic "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album. Otis played The Beatles' album constantly during a week he had spent on a houseboat in Sausalito when performing at San Francisco's Fillmore West Theater in the summer of 1967. Just sittin' on the dock, looking out at the bay, it's easy to see where Otis got the inspiration for the song, "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay".

It had a lilt, memorable hook, and a great story. While it was typical of Redding's previous recordings, it signaled his creative expansion as a writer and artist. That song posthumously went on to become Otis Redding's biggest worldwide hit and signature.

Super Sleuth said:
“Well, my friend, if you had kids and family, (like that was ever possible) you would want to visit Marine World or maybe drive up to the Muir woods and see Redwood trees you can’t see the tops of. Trees big enough that they cut car size holes in them so you can drive thru. How about that? Not many of those in Florida.

Slight correction here. The redwood trees are the tall ones (300 feet high :eek: ) and yes, you can see them in several forest reserves north of San Francisco. They are indeed majestic.

Equally spectacular are the sequoias, the orange-colored trees that are the wide ones, up to 30 feet in diameter :eek:, wide enough to cut car sized holes in them. These are several hours east and southeast of San Francisco. Yosemite National Park may be better known for sites such as El Capitan and Half Dome, but it also has a grove of sequoias that is quite amazing at the south end of the park. Those who have been to Yosemite, understand. Those who have only heard of Yosemite... tack on a few days to your NSXPO vacation to go there, and you will understand. You can also view amazing sequoias, including the General Sherman Tree, in Sequoia National Park, about an hour east of Fresno, and it too is well worth the trip.

FuryNSX said:
You are either a man of immense wisdom, or one darn fast internet searcher. (Then again, maybe a combination of both.)

Quite simply, I have seen the redwoods and sequoias myself, in person. They are very impressive. (I was more impressed by the sequoias, FWIW.)

Anyone driving some distance to NSXPO 2003, who has never been to Yosemite - it's worth tacking an extra day or two onto your trip to do so.

He's right on about the Wine Train. Did it in 97. That was the ultimate cool...kicked back after an elegant meal getting buzzed on Chardonnay in a comfy captains chair watching that incredible landscape creep by...

EXPOSING NSXPO PART 3 THE SCENIC DRIVES

Jake here again, with the continuing saga. Where was I? Oh yeah, the hot dame on my pager. Yeah, it was the dish at the Blue Note; she wanted a re-match. “OK Babe, Wednesday nite at the Blue Note again.” “You got it big boy” she said, snapping her Wrigley’s Doublemint.

Her name was Veronica Theresa Ecklesbaum. Now that’s a mouthful, ain’t it? So I says to her, “I don’t have time to say all that, how’s ‘bout I call you V-Tec for short?” “Yeah, whatever” she shoots back. I immediately slammed the rest of my luke warm “Ice Cold Hamm’s” and we strolled off to my dingy apartment. :cool:

So there we are, doing the wild thing, with the Rolling Stones in the back ground beltin out “Brown Sugar”. That’s real vinyl, mind you, not no digital crap. But there’s a scratch on it, (how could that happen?) and Mick is screaming “Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Wooooooooooo!!” over and over and over again. About the 5th time I realize my mint condition Sticky Fingers album is history and I get up to take action. :mad: About the 8th time, I realize V-Tec is really into it and screamin right along with Mick at the top of her lungs, “Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Wooooooooooo!!”. Nothing gets by me…………..she’s on auto-pilot and hittin the rev-limiter big time. She don’t need me, so I step out onto the fire escape to burn one. As I pinch off the filter from my Camel and shove it in my ear to help deaden the shrieks from V-Tec, I review the day’s events.

I had been in the Niello Acura waiting room, having breakfast, pretending like I had a car in for service. Hrant walks by with the big guy Vince. They’re talking and laughing and waving their arms around and I barely manage a weak wave at him. Later he strolls in. With my brain fired up on Starbucks, I greet him in what I hope is a soulful but brilliant way, “Hrant” I say with a big smile on my face (ya gotta make the mark think you’re happy to see him) ……”Hrant, now there’s a name ya don’t hear everyday”. He slowly raises one eyebrow and says “Oh?, I beg to differ.” The answer hits me like I was staring down the barrel of Jules’ 45 in Pulp Fiction. :eek: He had me dead to rights.

Well, right about then, it also dawned on me that the donuts were gone and I had made a mess. I scrambled, trying to cut this conversation short before Hrant caught on that I was only here for the donuts and coffee. “Well, gotta head up to Bruce Pettitt’s shop. They cant’ work on my hoppin’ hydraulics here today. Got a big date and we may end up down at the In-and-Out Burger with the guys. We like to hop our cars in the parking lot every Wednesday nite.” I hit the door fast as he started to open the empty Krispy Kreme box. Wheeling onto the on-ramp of I-80 with the Ron-ettes on the cassette tape, I chirped the tires (bad suspension) going by a cruiser on the on-ramp. Studying the mirror, I don’t see any lights come on, so I head up to Roseville and Bruce Pettitt’s shop, feeling lucky. :D

I walk into Bruce’s shop……….spic and span…….. and see him hunched over this Honda Accord. There was a shiny red NSX parked by the door and a short bald gentleman walking around with a rag, wiping stuff down and talking to Bruce like an AK-47 in a fire-fight. “Yeah, we got it all under control now, yesireeeeeeeeee bob. Now take the NSXPO scenic drives for example. We got a couple of ringers to handle that: Keith and Harry. We got your scenic drives where you cruise up and down the Napa and Sonoma valleys with your arm out the window sipping on a cappuccino. Or take a left or right, and go east-west up and over the mountains, and you’ve got an instant sporty drive; hands at 9 and 3, just like an autocross on the side of a hill. “Woooo hoooo!!” Bruce keeps his head down but you can almost hear him smiling.

“Now take Keith, he just about owns the ‘Great Drives of the Northwest’ page on the FAQ. Very detailed write-ups with great suggestions on where to eat and where to gas at out of the way places you’d never think to stop at. He even found a spot on the map in the middle of nowhere named ‘Comptche’, wadda ya think about that? And have you seen his avatar? http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=4366 Fording a stream, no less.” He breaks into song; “Ain’t no mountain high enough, ain’t no valley low enough’……… then he started whistling, apparently forgetting the words. “And into driving marathons, yes he is………..drives 700 miles in 12 hours, constantly looking for great out-of-the-way back roads.”

“And let me tell you, he’s just like me, a straight shooter, he’ll tell you where not to go and where not to stop too.”

I’d been standing there, quiet as a mouse the whole time, just listening. So, to break into the monologue and maybe give Bruce a break, I pipe up “Yeah, Vonnegut said it best, strange travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God.” The short guy whirls around like he had just heard the whistle of incoming. He breaks into a grin seeing my 5’5” 135 pound skinny frame. You can see the think machine running behind his eyes……..”this guy’s smaller than me”. So, being no threat, he shoots right back…………”Yeah, who’d ever stop for breakfast at someplace called ‘Buck’s’ in Woodside?, But it’s a great place to eat and talk some business smack!!!” He goes back to wiping down tools and equipment. “So yeah, photo ops, vista points, he covers them all………."

“Yeah”, I replied, “I been to his website: http://www.geocities.com/myfsixteen/ He’s got detailed maps with circles and arrows and all manner of information on there. Arlo Guthrie could write a song about him and his maps.” I twisted up my face and asked point blank, “Has he really got the credentials?” I let the question hang in the air like a Kobe Bryant jump shot, or more Acura-ately, maybe the question of Kobe’s endorsement future. “Credentials?” he shrieks, “credentials?” going up another octave, he’s the Lewis of the Lewis and Clark duo of great NSX drives.” (Oh, like I was supposed to know that already. :rolleyes: )

He doesn’t stop to wonder who in the hell I am and how I’d know about Keith’s website, and, get this, even leaves the door open for me. “So, if he’s Lewis, who’s Clark?” I ask nonchalantly. “Well, that would be Harry. And let me tell you, you whipper snapper, Harry knows everything about timing, rush hours, and all the other details necessary to zip around the Bay area and Wine Country. Stick with Harry and you’ll feel like Steve McQueen in the chase scene in Bullett. Not that we’d do that, of course, but Harry straightens out the Cali-fornicated traffic very nicely. Needless to say, these two planners are a veritable cornucopia of information about Cali driving.” Huh? The word rattled around in my fragile egg shell brain like a bonus ball in a lit up pin ball machine. Bruce stood up to stretch his back and very kindly interjected, “That means they know as much about driving around here as Ken Sax knows about ………….well, you know.”

“Ah yes”, ‘Shorty’ continued, polishing his bowling shoes with a greasy rag, “Lake Barryessa, Highway 128 and 121. The twisty bits through Pope Valley, and I haven’t even touched on the coast or Highway 36. Yeah, good ole’ 36………. Absolute heaven in an NSX, slow death by torture in a rental car. So many great roads, so little time, I don’t know how he’ll be able to choose.”

“Wow,” I said, “I came from the Midwest, where we got two kind of roads, straight and flat. Driving an NSX in this neck of the woods must really be somethin’.” ‘Shorty’ guns me down: “You ain’t just whistlin’ Dixie there youngster”.

Well, I look at Bruce and see that’s he’s booked for the day, and not all with paying work either. , so I figger I better beat feet back down the road…………………tell you why next time. I’ll just say, there’s something about Roseville.

Back on the fire escape, I flip my butt into the street below and step back through the window to see V-Tec is done and my tone arm is knocked completely off the record. But the dame’s smilin’ and that’s the important thing. ;)

To be continued.

This Jake, aka Super Sleuth, must be well connected to dig this sort of info ........ our club president "fearless leader" as Al likes to be known, and we do have a more appropriate name for him ....... (Jake can get some cues to reserach this) is getting nervous and has been somewhat agitated lately over this article's disclosures ...... wonder why!?

I am glad the focus of the articles has gone onto others, I was sweating bullets for a while ........... but whoever he/she/it Jake is, must be having some sweet pillow talk to dig this kind of stuff ........ I am suspecting this Blue Note digression is a clue where he is meeting his sources ...... perhaps we need to do a neighberhood watch around Folsom Blvd and Auburn Blvd some nights ......... LOL!

Last edited:
JAKE

Hrant,

I think I have a pretty good idea who Jake (aka Super Sleuth) really is. I went to NSXPO.com to take the poll but didn't see a link to poll, there is a box that says "take the poll" but didn't see how to get there.

But if my sleuthing skills are correct, we have a very creative member in the "Sack of Tomatoes" chapter.

My vote is Super Sleuth is none other than Hrant himself. The real question is, does Hrant realize he has multiple personalities?

Hey Hrant, been having any memory lapses lately? Waking up in strange hotel rooms not knowing how you got there? Been whistling jazz tunes you can't recall hearing before?

I think we can find a 12-step program for you :D

I think Super Sleuth and the Forums Nazi are the same person.

No way. FN does not possess a creative enough writing personality to invoke the entertainment that SS does. Normally not one to be especially impressed with articulate prose, I am by SS's.

Super Sleuth

We're all waiting for the next episode of exposing NSXPO. I think Jake is keeping a Low Profile, as he or she doesn't want to be exposed. What does everybody else think?

Maybe Jake, is reading the next Hardy Boys mystery book, or watching those "Columbo" reruns, or maybe watching the Rockford Files, reruns (maybe Jake can try the same trick Rockford used to do in his Firebird, with his Integra) :D

Either way I gotta say, I like Jake's style. ;)

Idea for Jake

Hey Jake,

I have another idea for you, after your morning ritual of Donuts & Starbucks coffee from Niello, you might consider taking a trip to Comptech to expose some last minute Supercharger Installs, I got this straight from a reliable source, that 1UFO 2C is diguising his Supercharger as a new 6 speed tranny and 4:55 Ring & Pinion. Now remember keep this under your hat until you confirm, but I believe my source to be good.:D

PS: Hope that 1987 Avacado Green Integra makes it up that hill to Comptech.

Back