• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Extended Warranty for 2nd GEN

Getting mixed messages….. I have a 2017 and the warranty will be expiring in slightly over 6 months.

Does Acura offer an extended warranty?

If not….. any reliable legit extended warranty from 3rd party companies?

Appreciate the replies!

Yes, Acura offers an extended warranty. Any Acura dealer will be able to show the options for time, mileage, and pricing.

Would the extended warranty cover the engine out valve adjustment at 75K miles? I'm assuming no, but if it did, the warranty would be totally worth it!

Would the extended warranty cover the engine out valve adjustment at 75K miles? I'm assuming no, but if it did, the warranty would be totally worth it!

No, that's considered maintenance.

I'm 50/50 on the warranty. Never owned anything this expensive before.

No, that's considered maintenance.

I'm 50/50 on the warranty. Never owned anything this expensive before.

When we had our Honda store I decided to get the full blown extended warranty on my S2000 in the fall of 99. I envisioned driving it hard and often, and with the car being a whole new offering from Honda, I came to the conclusion the warranty would be worth having. I also figured it would be good for resale if I wanted to sell it for some reason in a few years.

I was right about one thing, driving it hard (the way it was intended to be driven, certainly not abused). Too much time at work at the dealership meant not many miles (km) at the end of the 7 year warranty. As for claims on my not inexpensive warranty--one rear wheel bearing! And as far as all the cruising I was going to do. A whole 45K km in 22 years!
That being said the NC1 is a completely different kettle of fish. Lots of new tech to say the least. The warranty would still bring extra dollars if you decided to sell the car while it was still valid. Plus you do have a certain amount of pull at a certain Acura store if your new ride flies to hell too badly right?

When we had our Honda store I decided to get the full blown extended warranty on my S2000 in the fall of 99. I envisioned driving it hard and often, and with the car being a whole new offering from Honda, I came to the conclusion the warranty would be worth having. I also figured it would be good for resale if I wanted to sell it for some reason in a few years.

I was right about one thing, driving it hard (the way it was intended to be driven, certainly not abused). Too much time at work at the dealership meant not many miles (km) at the end of the 7 year warranty. As for claims on my not inexpensive warranty--one rear wheel bearing! And as far as all the cruising I was going to do. A whole 45K km in 22 years!
That being said the NC1 is a completely different kettle of fish. Lots of new tech to say the least. The warranty would still bring extra dollars if you decided to sell the car while it was still valid. Plus you do have a certain amount of pull at a certain Acura store if your new ride flies to hell too badly right?

Indeed! I actually drove my 2000 S2000 today, mid 20's temp wise but clear roads. We haven't had any snow here yet. I'm sure I could get some professional courtesy in the event of an issue. I'll never sell this car and very rarely sell any of my personal stuff. I'd say in the last 15 years I've sold 2 or 3 cars. The NC1 has been my dream car since I went to the initial dealer training back in 2016.

I'm pretty sure I'll opt for the warranty, just to be safe. Although I won't drive it a ton, I'd like to be covered in the event of something major happens. Tons of tech on this one.

I am also kind of on the fence as far as an extended warranty. Keep in mind that the drivetrain is covered for 6 years and 70,000 miles. The Hybrid system is covered for 8 years. The traction battery is covered for a bit longer. When you get the extended warranty it Starts when you purchase. So the 5 year 80,000 mile warranty would start the five years the day you buy it. The mileage would be the total mileage on the car. My warranty is up in May of 2022. So I would get another 5 years. However the original drive train warranty is still in effect. So I would only get an additional 2 years. The Hybrid warranty would only get one additional year. So it does make you wonder. So far as I know no engines have failed except one where the dealership forgot to add oil after a change. I have not heard of transmission failures either. At $5000+ it does beg the question.

I'm pretty sure I'll opt for the warranty, just to be safe. Although I won't drive it a ton, I'd like to be covered in the event of something major happens. Tons of tech on this one.

I too would be concerned about hybrid-related breakdowns. It's one of the things keeping me (or Mrs. Honcho, rather) from NC1 ownership.

I am also kind of on the fence as far as an extended warranty. Keep in mind that the drivetrain is covered for 6 years and 70,000 miles. The Hybrid system is covered for 8 years. The traction battery is covered for a bit longer. When you get the extended warranty it Starts when you purchase. So the 5 year 80,000 mile warranty would start the five years the day you buy it. The mileage would be the total mileage on the car. My warranty is up in May of 2022. So I would get another 5 years. However the original drive train warranty is still in effect. So I would only get an additional 2 years. The Hybrid warranty would only get one additional year. So it does make you wonder. So far as I know no engines have failed except one where the dealership forgot to add oil after a change. I have not heard of transmission failures either. At $5000+ it does beg the question.

This is a really insightful post- I never thought about it that way, but you make a lot of sense- why spend $5,000 to get an extra year on the hybrid system? The NC1 engine was designed from scratch to win GT endurance races, so I bet it will be quite durable like the C30/32: 200,000+ miles easy. For me, it would be the hybrid system that would keep me up at night. I wonder if AHM will offer an extended on just the hybrid once those 8 year warranties start to roll off? That might be worth it... Isn't the TMU alone like $30,000?

That's interesting about the extended warranty being from the time you bought the car. So I bought mine (2019) in 2021 but the factor warranty is good thru 2023. Does that mean if purchased the 5-yr extended warranty in 2023, it would only be good thru 2026? (I.e. 3 years)

Last edited:
That's interesting about the extended warranty being from the time you bought the car. So I bought mine (2019) in 2021 but the factor warranty is good thru 2023. Does that mean if purchased the 5-yr extended warranty in 2023, it would only be good thru 2026? (I.e. 3 years)
purchase right before factory warranty expires.

time portion starts on the date listed on the extended warranty contract.

Mileage portion is based upon odometer miles and starts from zero odometer miles.

so, if you purchase the 5 yr/80k mile option and you have 20k miles on your NSX and the time portion is about to expire, you have 5 years from TODAY and 60k miles remaining on the warranty.

Am I correct in presuming that the cost of the extended warranty goes up the longer you wait to purchase it?

.like a life insurance policy...which this is for your car...

Am I correct in presuming that the cost of the extended warranty goes up the longer you wait to purchase it?

The extended warranty prices are fixed (except for some discounting)

As was mentioned, they come into force once you buy them

It would be a blunder to buy it more that a month before the original warranty expires

Just pick the number of years being covered and the mileage limit and pay up

Again in my case, I was going to get one but as I neared 4 years with the car I felt the thing is solid, so I rolled the dice and spent the warranty money on a set of winter wheels and tires for the LC 500 Convertible

Going back to 2005, I have had 4 all electric cars, 4 hybrid cars, and 1 plug-in hybrid. The hybrid cars as well as the electric cars have been rock solid. I never had an electric motor fail. The 2011 Toyota Rav4EV a joint effort with Tesla did suffer some motor bearing issues, though I did not have that problem. Having said that, hybrids are complex as they are both ICE based and Electric motor driven.

My 2017 Volvo has a 2 liter engine that is both supercharged and turbo charged. It puts out 316 hp just from the engine. Over 400 hp and close to 500 foot pounds of torque with the electric motor. It is also direct ignition like our NSX but only has one injector. So their can be an issue with carbon buildup. Add to that the electric motor has experienced failures across a number of model years. This was Volvo’s first hybrid Plug-in. The car has 26 computer modules that all run through the Sensus System. I think the Volvo is one of the best cars I have owned. It is a joy to drive.

My initial 4 year warranty was completed on Jan 2, 2022. I did purchase an extended warranty through Volvo for 6 more years and a total of 120,000 miles. It cost me $4000. I need to keep this car until the new platform Volvo all electric XC90 comes out which was supposed to be in 2021 but now is pushed out to sometime in 2023. When I go to sell the car, it will be difficult to get top dollar without a extended warranty. The forum is full of issues of reliability. so I believe I made a smart choice. While Volvo is not anywhere near as bad as Range Rover with respect to reliability, they are expensive to work on. Never buy a Range Rover off warranty is what the Range Rover Dealers say.

Our NSX is so rock solid that I really don’t think an extended warranty is going to add value, even when you sell your car. Every time I drive my NSX I marvel at how well it drives and performs.

Last edited:
I am still in the honeymoon stage with mine, and still have some time to think about the extended warranty. But I agree - it feels like the car is built like a tank. Everything is high quality, very solid.

A member had a 2017 (recently replaced it with a new one) that had performance downpipes, exhaust, JB4, Sprintbooster, etc and really "enjoyed" the car, including many track days;I believe that it had close to 80,000miles on it when he replaced it. The thing was rock solid all the way through.

Mario also drove his 2017 NSX extensively. He really enjoyed his car. Drove cross country a number of times. Tracked the car every chance he could. Only sold it to consolidate expenses.

I like Super Mario...

Bumping this thread. Looking at a couple of 2017s in the $125k range as prices have fallen hard lately. Of course, they are out of B2B warranty. Hybrid system warranty on early units ends in 2025.

I’ve spoken to Mario in person about his NC1 and he thankfully had really no issues with thrashing it, and the new owner of that car seems to be enjoying with no problems. I’ve heard about the 80k mile car. I know one other person with a high miles 2017 and he’s had to replace shocks and a few other things, but that car was also tracked hard.

Last, I currently own a RLX Sport Hybrid and know of two 2014 RLX SH owners who got to very high miles, one to 120k miles before his car was sadly totalled, and another who got to 90k miles before selling for a Cadi CT5-V Blackwing. Neither had issues or had worries about the hybrid battery.

Even so, is anyone getting third party warranties on their 2017 if purchased recently? Especially if they are considering a quasi-long term ownership (ie at least five years). Is there one that even covers hybrid components? One could make the argument that it’s not necessary given proven reliability of this drivetrain, but is that enough for peace of mind?

There are some warranties out there, my concern is they look for failures rather than a loss of performance. Very much oil focused if I recall. I believe that you would chase a potential loss with a significant money outlay. What price peace of mind?

Does the extended warranty only cover the powertrain? Or is it bumper to bumper like the original factory warranty? I'm looking an NSX that is Acura CPO. It appears the CPO only extends the powertrain coverage...technically, it extends the bumper to bumper by 2 years but the car still has 2+ years of factory warranty so there's no benefit in that regard. TIA.

So it's bumper to bumper for 4/50 but it starts from the time you buy the warranty, correct? Not automatically extending the original factory warranty to 8/100?

My understanding is it starts when you buy it
The game is to buy it a month prior to your original warranty expires

Back