• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F-16s on the deck

That's some sweet footage. My dad was in the Taiwan airforce and used to fly the F-5. He says they use do show boat and dare each other and would fly so low that they couldn't bank the plane left or right (like they are doing in the video above) or the wings would hit the ground/water.

THAT is low! He said the altimeter would read -10ft! HAHA

THAT is low! He said the altimeter would read -10ft! HAHA

The only way that would happen is if they were flying above the ocean and their barometric pressure was set exactly right for that location and not taking tides into account. Unless he was referring to a radar altimeter.

uhh which country would allow this sort of "irresponsibility"? I mean, it's damn cool I admit.. But I dont' think these guys were with the USAF?

Just imagine, one pigeon could spell disaster..

Re: Buzz jobs

The old cliche
There's old pilots and
there's bold pilots, but.........
there ain't no old bold pilots
catches up with all of them sooner or later.
Been there and lost some friends. :frown:

Or this one in 1998 where an F-18 pilot hit a gondola cable in Italy and killed 20 skiers.

It was an E6B Prowler.

"They argued that because this was his last jaunt in a radar-jamming Prowler and because he had just been promoted to fly the more prestigious F-18 fighter jets, Ashby used the training mission to take his Prowler on a final thrill ride."

Evidence showed that Ashby flew at 65% below a restricted level of 1,000 feet when his jet hit the gondola wires. The plane was traveling at 621 mph, much faster than the 517-mph limit.

Spinner produced evidence suggesting that some of the plane’s instruments, specifically the radar altimeter, malfunctioned and never gave Ashby a true altitude reading during the flight.

Altimeter, radar altimeter and airspeed indicator.... visual conditions - he knew how fast and how low he was flying. Big difference between 1000 AGL and 100. Complete BS. It was his last flight in the plane - this Marine was showboating and killed people through negligence. He should have done time!

Last edited:
Yep, definitely not USAF F-16s. Pretty dumb stuff there, and a complete lack of discipline IMHO. These guys would be grounded if they were our pilots.

what's the story behind this one? What was the cause of the crash?

That was at Fairchild AFB in Washington. The pilot was well-known for being a hotshot and someone who was always pushing the envelope (ie. breaking the rules.) He was actually under supervision when this accident occurred, with one of his supervisors in the co-pilot seat. On the turn to line up on the runway, he banked the jet up way too much, so much so that the spoilerons (B-52 doesn't have actual ailerons) were unable to reverse the bank angle and there was nothing they could do to avoid the crash.

Kinda sad, but the copilot commanded an ejection and the seats were on their way up the rails when the plane hit the ground.

If you ever go up to USAF survival school at Fairchild, there is still debris from this crash littered all over the place on the south side of the runway.

Last edited:
Re: Back in the old days

The typical skydiver chant was
"Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars"

or on take off:

"Blue Skies, Black Death"

here's a "safe" buzz job; 8 feet off the deck at only 200 mph. Smooth enough for a double moon. My finest hour. :cool:

It was an E6B Prowler.

Altimeter, radar altimeter and airspeed indicator.... visual conditions - he knew how fast and how low he was flying. Big difference between 1000 AGL and 100. Complete BS. It was his last flight in the plane - this Marine was showboating and killed people through negligence. He should have done time!

I am in absolute agreement with you.

(Some news agencies reported an F-18)

That was at Fairchild AFB in Washington. The pilot was well-known for being a hotshot and someone who was always pushing the envelope (ie. breaking the rules.) He was actually under supervision when this accident occurred, with one of his supervisors in the co-pilot seat. On the turn to line up on the runway, he banked the jet up way too much, so much so that the spoilerons (B-52 doesn't have actual ailerons) were unable to reverse the bank angle and there was nothing they could do to avoid the crash.

Kinda sad, but the copilot commanded an ejection and the seats were on their way up the rails when the plane hit the ground.

If you ever go up to USAF survival school at Fairchild, there is still debris from this crash littered all over the place on the south side of the runway.

There was a huge thread about the crash several years ago on Corner-Carvers and the above was, IIRC, the essense of the conventional wisdom there.

That crash still shocks me when I view it. :frown:

Last edited:
Some good clips of an F-18 on the deck:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v8zP5s9vdX0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v8zP5s9vdX0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7rAUu8djZ4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7rAUu8djZ4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And a Blue Angel to boot.

Back