• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F1 2008 Megathread

Re: It ain't always the driver

but absolving Glock as the cause of that particular safety car deployment is ... a bit interesting.
Shawn, you're absolving the track of having a bump like that there? David, Peter and Bob sure didn't. David: "You have every right to expect that a big dip like that is not there." Peter: "You're right David, that shouldn't be there."

Glock was driving it back on under control with no big issues until he hit that bump. I'll bet a bottle of Patron that won't be there next year.

I'm not so sure the race will be there next year.Last year lost 35 million as per the speed guys and Bernie wanted it to be a night race but local officials said no,don't want to piss off Napolean.

A track has the responsibility to do as much as it can to provide a safe race. However, if a driver goes goes off track, they can expect the unexpected. By exploring the extremities of the facility, Glock found a bump not on the racing surface and suffered as a result.

If you want a consistent surface, don't want to hit potentially damaging obstructions, keep it on the asphalt.

Re: Whew, tough crowd

A track has the responsibility to do as much as it can to provide a safe race. However, if a driver goes goes off track, they can expect the unexpected. By exploring the extremities of the facility, Glock found a bump not on the racing surface and suffered as a result.

If you want a consistent surface, don't want to hit potentially damaging obstructions, keep it on the asphalt.
Sounds like the first class room session for track day novices. :biggrin:

Shawn, if you (unlike some instructors we know), practice what you preach, your in-car videos must be really boring. :tongue:

Hahahaha...if staying on track is wrong, then I don't want to be right.:biggrin:

However, I'm fully willing to try your alternative method of corner negotiation in your car. Perhaps the FM?:wink:

Re: Honda's colors ALERT

I like 'outrageous' and lime green, but sheesh, those Honda lime green pants have got to go. :eek: You don't have to watch What Not to Wear to know better.

Those shorts would look good on your pit crew, would match your race car on your avatar.:biggrin:

The pit stop and the DQ was a big bummer for RB and JB's 1st lap out.

Talk about a podium, what about SeaBass (as Ted affectionately calls him),
3 laps to go before his car let him down.

Re: Bernie; always something

I'm not so sure the race will be there next year.Last year lost 35 million as per the speed guys and Bernie wanted it to be a night race but local officials said no,don't want to piss off Napolean.
Yeah, absolutely right about "don't want to piss off Napolean." But that's part of his bluster; just what he likes to do and the rumor bin has talk of a compromise. Or maybe he really is just fascinated with glow in the dark tires?

Mostly it's about the profitability and lining the short guy's pockets. Isn't that the real reason Indy went away and why they might come back? http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07032008/58/indy-return-2009.html

Here's the Speed schedule for the Grand Prix of Malaysia (don't forget it's this weekend):

All Times Eastern Daylight Time

THU/FRI - Mar 20/21:

2:00 am - 3:30 am - Practice 2 (LIVE) (only airing) (very late Thu night/very early Fri am)

FRI/SAT - Mar 21/22:

12:30 am - 1:00 am - Inside Grand Prix (late Fri night/early Sat am)

1:00 am - 2:00 am - F1 Debrief/Australia (only airing) (late Fri night/early Sat am)

2:00 am - 3:30 am - Qualifying (Time-Slip) (only airing) (very late Fri night/very early Sat am)

SAT/SUN - Mar 22/23:

2:30 am - 3:00 am - Race Preview (LIVE) (very late Sat night/very early Sun am)

3:00 am - 5:00 am - Race (LIVE) (very late Sat night/very early Sun am)

SUN - Mar 23:

1:30 pm - 4:00 pm - Race Preview/Race (2nd airing)

Re: From the Peanut Gallery

I kind of like reading this guy, mostly for his writing style, but he sneaks in a couple of good points now and again.

Saving F1? Talk is cheap.

By Peter M. De Lorenzo

Detroit. I've made no secret of the fact that I lost serious interest in F1 years ago. Except for a few of the races that I watch from start to finish each season (Monaco, England, Spa - at least when they run it - and Monza), I may tune in to see only the start of a few others, knowing full well that watching the start constitutes seeing the entire race, as the usual suspects from the two top teams then drone on to the finish. The cars leave me cold, too, because they have all of the magnetism and visual appeal of a well-made mechanical pencil.

I can't tell you how many times when I talk to people whom I come across in my travels that I hear this similar refrain: "I don't really care about it anymore." And these comments are inevitably coming from serious, longtime racing freaks too. There's no interest, there's no appeal and there's no romance in F1 for these former fans. Not a good combination.

Yes, of course there still are people who get geeked-up about F1 and go on about the gee-whiz technology and the no-ceiling budgets - blah-blah-blah - but in the end F1 has lapsed into irrelevant racing, and the only thing keeping it going is Bernie Ecclestone's relentless crusade to bring it to new nations that haven't had the pleasure of getting burned-out on his fee structures yet.

Bernie is an easy target of course, but I reserve particular contempt for the manufacturers involved in the sport, because they perpetuate the folly of F1 by continuously supporting the formula without demanding changes that would help turn the sport around once and for all.

After all, why are these companies in the sport to begin with?

Is it to project their image around the globe as forward thinking, technologically advanced concerns? Yes, I'll buy that, but if they're really that technologically advanced then why aren't they taking a more active and aggressive role in making F1 regulations relevant to what they're researching in their advanced technology labs right now?

The reason why F1 still lags in developing a rules package that makes use of alternative propulsion options is that the manufacturers aren't insisting that it be a part of the rules before they'd be willing to participate. And as long as that remains the case, F1 will continue to operate unimpeded in its own little irrelevant bubble.

Even insiders in F1 acknowledge that the sport is in deep trouble, just ask Flavio Briatore. The races are boring processionals, and the cumulative personalities of the drivers involved don't do much to dissuade people from using the term "robot" drivers.

But if F1 really wanted to actually do something about "fixing" the sport they would immediately embrace an alternative rules package (eligible right along with the current rules package) that would do the following:

1. Limit the ICE (internal combustion engine) on board in size and intake so that it develops no more than 400HP.

2. Allow alternative propulsion devices of any kind to augment the power of the ICE.

3. The "alternative" package machines - while keeping to the minimum weight and open cockpit design of the "traditional" cars - would have more "free" areas in terms of overall dimensions and moveable aerodynamic devices.

How long do you think it would take a manufacturer like Honda to switch over to developing machines for the new "alternative" F1 rules class? I would say about five minutes, if that.
If F1 is ever going to get back on track (and the IRL, too, for that matter), then advanced propulsion systems and the associated technologies involved must be embraced and incorporated into the rules package so that they're allowed to be competitive. We would then see a return of racing machines that actually look different from each other according to the philosophies of the various manufacturers, which would be a revelation in and of itself.

F1 likes to tout that it is the most technologically advanced form of racing in the world, but they haven't lived up to that lofty title in years. I've often said it's time to press the "reset" button for racing and start the march of technological advancement - leading to direct improvements and breakthroughs in our production cars - all over again. F1 has the opportunity to do it, but then again so does the IRL with the rules package it's working on for the 2011 season.

I really don't care which one of these two entities does it first at this point, just as long as someone actually does something besides talk for a change.
I like the tip of the cap to Honda for being outfront with alternative tech.

Re: Less than one week ago

the jungle drums were beating;
"Ferrari is the juggernaut and will likely run away with it all. And poor old McLaren is going to have it tough this year with severe FIA scrutiny, Ron Dennis under fire and probably going down,"
on and on and on.

Who'd a thunk it would all be upside down like it is right now?

This was such an exciting race. What an attrition rate!!:eek: Half the field retired! BC for Honda was holding his own fairly will till the lollipop disaster. What a shame. If it wasn't for that, Ferrari wouldn't have scored a single point. Man I wish I could have that race on DVD in HD.

As for my boy Hami...what can be said, except BOooooyah!! Take that Alonso. I hope that pisses the Spaniards of to no end. Racist bastards.:mad:

HK was doing very well until he accidentally hit the pit limiter after passing Alonso. What a shame. McLaren seemingly will rise like a phoenix. Kubica and Rosberg did very well also. Man, this is going to be such an exciting season. I now Kimi is burning to bring it back. Did you see how he blasted past everyone in the first lap to go from 16 to...what was it...8th?

Malaysia will be a night race, yes? That's going to be VERY interesting to see. Do others agree with the above mentioned post quoting the editor who said F1 has lost it's passion and following?

This was such an exciting race. What an attrition rate!!:eek: Half the field retired! BC for Honda was holding his own fairly will till the lollipop disaster. What a shame. If it wasn't for that, Ferrari wouldn't have scored a single point. Man I wish I could have that race on DVD in HD.

As for my boy Hami...what can be said, except BOooooyah!! Take that Alonso. I hope that pisses the Spaniards of to no end. Racist bastards.:mad:

HK was doing very well until he accidentally hit the pit limiter after passing Alonso. What a shame. McLaren seemingly will rise like a phoenix. Kubica and Rosberg did very well also. Man, this is going to be such an exciting season. I now Kimi is burning to bring it back. Did you see how he blasted past everyone in the first lap to go from 16 to...what was it...8th?

Malaysia will be a night race, yes? That's going to be VERY interesting to see. Do others agree with the above mentioned post quoting the editor who said F1 has lost it's passion and following?

Better search for torrents of this race while its new and fresh. I already downloaded several versions of the race, one in Spanish, one in HD from ITV. Check here, http://www.racing-underground.com/, and please seed the races as much as you can.

Malaysia will be a night race, yes? That's going to be VERY interesting to see.

Nope, the Singapore race is the night race. Malaysia will be sunny, humid, and very, very hot!!! It is THE toughest race of the year for teams due to the conditions and reliability woes...

I'm watching the ITV version of Australia GP, and it has a much better prerace show than the Acura Prerace show on Speed TV.

ITV coverage is waaaay better that Speed. Matchet(SP) is the only one that know what he is talking about, the rest need to be replaced with guys like Martin Brundle.

Bram

Nope, the Singapore race is the night race. Malaysia will be sunny, humid, and very, very hot!!! It is THE toughest race of the year for teams due to the conditions and reliability woes...

Indeed, Singapore is the only night race this year. But, from what I've read, Sepang officials are still deciding whether or not to make next year's Malaysian GP a night race as well. That may cut quite a bit of the attrition.

Anybody want to guess on how many cars will DNF on Sunday? :wink:

Can someone explain why F1 drivers still feel the need to take such risks on turn 1 of every race.I mean I can make an argument for the front runners as every second counts in F1 but back markers killing each other for second to last place is just ridiculous,,happens every fricken race.

Re: I didn't know you were so philosophical

Can someone explain why F1 drivers still feel the need to take such risks on turn 1 of every race
Ya know Doc, next time you come out to the left coast, drop on by my paddock and we'll smoke some cohibas, sip something special and speculate endlessly on the red mist. :wink: The complexities of that subject are a combination of the rubic's cube and an Rorschach ink blot test, wouldn't you agree? I'm sure we would be waxing eloquent by the time we got 1/2 way thru the bottle. :redface:

I've sat as passenger in several cars driven by pro racers (Le Mans, ALMS, Speed WC, Motorola Cup) and can say first hand that those dudes would rather die by waterboarding than give an inch to anyone on track. I can only imagine the competitiveness of an F1 driver.

Add in a dose of prima donna attitude, a splash of track entitlement, a ton of pressure to perform well, and you may surprised that anyone survives the first corner.

I hear ya,but boy oh boy some high risk benefit ratio.Another casual observation,,,the word 'fantastic"?:confused: It is used 93% of the time in every driver interview.Did Napolean and Schumi strike a deal whereby each gets a buck when another driver utters it.Imagine having to chug a brew or do a shot every time it is said??:eek:

Re: Interviews; a joke

Ugh, now you've hit my hot button. I hate interviews, particularly with drivers. Finding any real information in there is like looking for a needle in a haystack. That's assuming you can understand them or not go to sleep, as in Kimi's case. :rolleyes:

Hahaha...that cracks me up. Listening to Kimi is like listening to that robot from Buck Rogers back in the day. Except that robot was more lively, intelligible, and expressive.

Whenever Kimi talks, this is all I hear:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8oFX7IgLlDk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8oFX7IgLlDk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Rotflo!!!

Well, at least it has now been said on Prime too. How is it that a kid can be so boring and yet somehow earns a flattering title of "Iceman"? Whenever he talks I think that someone must have stollen his stapler.

Back