• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F1 2009 megathread

Beat ya to it Ponyboy!! ;) :biggrin:

Ok gents, start your predictions, rants, bitches, complaints,...etc.

Go Honda F1 2009!

the usual suspects (red/silver) will figure this year, but:
- KUBICA in a competitive car = WDC contender
- ALONSO and Renault making a run for # 3

and Honda F1 results will delay the next-gen NSX at least another 2-3 years :rolleyes:

just build one track & change the scenery like H'wood sets, please...

No race in North America (say what you will about da ol' brickyard, but Montreal was t!ts as an F1 venue)... no race in France, either! Silverstone will be D.O.A. after '09, as super-ceded by Donington Park (friggin' Midlands, wtf!). . .

South Africa, India, Mexico, and Eastern Europe... now those are locales I'd love to see developed into perennial F1 venues.

I understand the need & desire for expanding the new(er)/emerging markets & so forth, but do we really need, no wait, do we really want a Bahrain AND an Abu Dhabi GP in the same season? :rolleyes:

I know, I know... it's all about tobacco dollars/pounds/euros, regional corporate sponsors in the locales, and but of-course government subsidies for new venues w/ added posh/swank appeal to fill the already flooded coffers of FIA & their handful of impresarios.

It's amazing that the U.S., Canada, Great Britain, and France didn't acquiesce to the bullying demands of this/that by FIA's puppet-masters. I wonder if that's a sign of things to come from other more traditional/historic venues?!? :(

Re: just build one track & change the scenery like H'wood sets, please...

No race in North America (say what you will about da ol' brickyard, but Montreal was t!ts as an F1 venue)... no race in France, either! Silverstone will be D.O.A. after '09, as super-ceded by Donington Park (friggin' Midlands, wtf!). . .

South Africa, India, Mexico, and Eastern Europe... now those are locales I'd love to see developed into perennial F1 venues.

I understand the need & desire for expanding the new(er)/emerging markets & so forth, but do we really need, no wait, do we really want a Bahrain AND an Abu Dhabi GP in the same season? :rolleyes:

I know, I know... it's all about tobacco dollars/pounds/euros, regional corporate sponsors in the locales, and but of-course government subsidies for new venues w/ added posh/swank appeal to fill the already flooded coffers of FIA & their handful of impresarios.

It's amazing that the U.S., Canada, Great Britain, and France didn't acquiesce to the bullying demands of this/that by FIA's puppet-masters. I wonder if that's a sign of things to come from other more traditional/historic venues?!? :(

Well, the Mexicans had their chance and they blew it. Same goes for S. Africa.

Russia still few years away before FIA can take them seriously. With no Russian driver/major sponsor dollar, it will not be possible.

India however, will be a major player.

They need to built a new race track in the US in a place where you can also enjoy a good vacation with great weather. Indiana was not exactly a good venue regardless the glorious INDY history.

As for Honda, I have great faith in them. New year, new rule. If they can lure Alonso (which I doubt), they will be able to do some thing right. As for next season, just get the self back to top three like the 2004 season. There is really no point to spend hundreds millions of moola with no results.

Re: Who's moving, who's not

Well, with all the turmoil and change in the air, some people get happy feet and are moving on............like you probably know some people who are ready to leave the country (the U.S. to be clear) about now. And some feel like things are going their way and staying.

Hamo says he's not going anywhere. Easy for that young man to say right now.

http://www.eurosport.yahoo.com/05112008/58/hamilton-ll-stay-mclaren-life.html

Ron Dennis on the other hand, is old (used to call that experienced) and thinks he can do something different but still fun (used to call that retirement). Well, who can blame him? Not me.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20958.html

And for the finale, Fred says Renault is family and he's staying. Wonder how much choice his contract actually gave him? OTOH, he's stuck with that worthless Peaky. Wonder if he's kicking himself for not getting a "decent 2nd driver" clause into his contract?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72010

So, here we sit, counting the days til KERS, slicks, simpler aero, overworked engines and new venues gives us more change.

Re: This idea's kinda 'out there'

They need to built a new race track in the US in a place where you can also enjoy a good vacation with great weather.
New York? :confused:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=aHDlu_AbPtl8&refer=home

Well I suppose there's more than one person out there with more money than sense and would like to kiss Bernie's ass. Seems like a springtime street race in Vegas would be easier and more attractive. A Monaco in neon.

Disneyland, god damn DISNEYLAND!!!! Take the bumper cars off the track and put F1 cars in it.:biggrin:

F1 needs to come back to the US, preferably to West Coast. Somewhere in Florida would be cool too.

Indy was fine for the USGP. I went to 5 out of the 7 races there and 2000 was the only one with rain. Where they made the mistake was moving it from the late September date (which was traditional for a USGP, think Watkins Glen) to June. Too damn hot. The infield part of the course was too twisty and technical and needs to be redesigned to allow more overtaking spots. Coming off the banking at turn 13 and down the front straight & turn 1 were really the only two spots to pass. The infield portion also made setup a real compromise as you had the longest straight in F1 (until Fuji) which made it low downforce like Monza but then you had a collection of low-speed turns which made you run more wing. Don't know if Tilke had a hand in that design or not.

Hell, bring Laguna Seca up to F1 spec and let 'em taste The Corkscrew. That would be fun to watch.

Last edited:
Whoever can get KERS working well is on the fast track to WDC/WCC. BMW is ahead of the curve on that one. I think they are the favorite. Can't count out Alonso for WDC, of course. As if it needed proving, he showed he is elite.

Re: You tell em Jens

Seems to be a lot of "feel good" going around amongst the F-1 drivers right now. Who wouldn't want to see this one come about?

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/11/08/button-urges-honda-to-keep-barrichello/

Jenson Button has told his Honda team bosses to keep Rubens Barrichello on in 2009 and not replace him with one of the young charges the team is testing this month in Spain.

Honda will be trying out Bruno Senna and Lucas di Grassi this month at Barcelona and has yet to confirm its driver line-up for 2009, although it is widely rumoured Button has already been retained in secret.

But Button believes his and Barrichello's combined experience will be a better option for the team with all the new regulations in 2009 than throwing an rookie into the fray.

"There are so many changes with the car with aerodynamics, KERS and slick tyres that the team will need lots of feedback from us," Button was quoted as saying by Autosport. "Having a new guy in the car, I don't feel you'll get as much feedback, but it's not my decision."

"Rubens has driven better this year than at any point since he joined Honda," he added. "This is his best season and he says he is driving better now than he ever has done, and he doesn't lie."

Re: You tell em Jens

Seems to be a lot of "feel good" going around amongst the F-1 drivers right now. Who wouldn't want to see this one come about?

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/11/08/button-urges-honda-to-keep-barrichello/

Jenson Button has told his Honda team bosses to keep Rubens Barrichello on in 2009 and not replace him with one of the young charges the team is testing this month in Spain.

Honda will be trying out Bruno Senna and Lucas di Grassi this month at Barcelona and has yet to confirm its driver line-up for 2009, although it is widely rumoured Button has already been retained in secret.

But Button believes his and Barrichello's combined experience will be a better option for the team with all the new regulations in 2009 than throwing an rookie into the fray.

"There are so many changes with the car with aerodynamics, KERS and slick tyres that the team will need lots of feedback from us," Button was quoted as saying by Autosport. "Having a new guy in the car, I don't feel you'll get as much feedback, but it's not my decision."

"Rubens has driven better this year than at any point since he joined Honda," he added. "This is his best season and he says he is driving better now than he ever has done, and he doesn't lie."

got my fingers crossed, hope they keep him.
fingersx.gif

Beat ya to it Ponyboy!! ;) :biggrin:

You suck giant hairy monkey nuts, my friend. And here I had assembled the pertinent 2009 info, rules changes, driver lineups, aero rules, KERS info, etc. :frown:

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your crotchal region - in a good way...sorta.

You suck giant hairy monkey nuts, my friend. And here I had assembled the pertinent 2009 info, rules changes, driver lineups, aero rules, KERS info, etc. :frown:

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your crotchal region - in a good way...sorta.

lol, well you can still post em up! Or I can put em on my OP, crediting you of course. :wink:

Anyone else looking forwards to Rossi's upcoming test with Ferrari? 20-21st this month. When he tested in 2006, he was about a half second of Schumacher's lap times.

Nick

I've been doing periodic F1 Update Posts over at the KCZClub website, and I figured since I'm an NSX owner now, I may as well start posting them over here as well! Here are the last two posts I made over @ KCZ:

Williams is the first to reveal their 2009 Wing Package:

3025799340_19e0bf9d75.jpg

This should be pretty interesting... The cars are looking very similar to cars from the 80s. As everyone knows, the idea is to allow cars to get closer in high speed corners and not hit that aerodynamic 'wall' that we see so often when a car gets too close to the one in front of it with current F1 cars.

Let's just hope Honda can revive some of that 80s magic with the cars looking more similar to when they were successful. :D

senna4.jpg

Force India to be powered by McLaren in 2009 and beyond (Five years).

3025808874_f49b6a0722.jpg

Looks like Vijay Mallya and Force India have broken ties early with Ferrari in favor of Mercedes McLaren for the next five years. This pretty much just confirms earlier assumptions that if Ferrari was unable to provide Force India with KERS for 2009, they would go to McLaren. It will be interesting to see if this partnership ups Force India's game in 09. In fact, Force India targets race wins by 2010.

Toro Rosso to test three drivers at Barcelona.

250752.jpg
takuma_sato_01.jpg
sebastien.jpg

At Barcelona's test next week, Toro Rosso is going to Red Bull tester Sebastien Buemi, former Honda driver Takuma Sato, and 2008 driver Sebastien Bourdais. Bourdais is still in question, but I really hope he pulls it out. I'm not sure why, but I'm a pretty big Bourdais fan. I guess I just want to see the four-time Champ Car Champ prove his worth in F1. I'd also like to see Takuma Sato back in F1, but Buemi is going to be hard to beat. He had a great year in GP2 last year despite missing a few races. I think we finished 3rd and missed something like 2 or 3 races!

Jenson Button urges Honda to retain Rubens Barrichello for 2009.

W020080130348558938732.jpg

I think Jenson is right on the money with thinking that with so many changes going into 2009, having Barrichello onboard to retain a very experience lineup is the best course of action. Rubens is still a great driver and has voiced his opinion about staying in Formula 1 and feeling that he as fast as ever. Having experienced drivers at Honda to evaluate the new aero setup, slick tires and KERS will be a great asset imho. As much as I'd like to see Bruno Senna at Honda, I think retaining Rubens may be the best course of action to see the team move forward and maybe snag a few podiums in 09. After all, Rubens was around when there was less aero and slick tires. I think he can prove to be a huge asset to the team.

Another update!!

Testing at Barcelona gets underway with many hybrid '09 cars

51327_2.jpg

Testing has begun! The first of a 3-day Barcelona test got underway today... Early reports from AutoSport.com are playing Takuma Sato and Sebastien Buemi of STR on the top of the timing charts, followed by Alex Wurz for Honda. Obviously the cars will be vastly different in the coming tests, but it's interesting to see how some of the hybrid cars are doing.... Also interesting to see how perspective F1 drivers are shaping up. Buemi and Sato are looking good on the top of the charts, but with all the cars being so different, I'm not entirely sure that means anything... Hopefully Taku can score a seat in '09 though! I miss having him in F1. Wurz putting the Honda in P3 also gave me a tentative smile, but only time can tell. GP2 stars Senna and Di Grassi also tested for Honda, but only managed to finish in P15 and P17, Di Grassi bringing up the rear of the field. IIRC, this was Senna's first time ever in an F1 car, though. Rally champ Sebastien Loeb pulled his Red Bull into an impressive 8th, though the 5-time rally champ still insits that he will not be pursuing a career in F1 at this time.

According to AutoSport.com, here's how the field unofficially ended up this morning:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Sato Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:20.763 121
2. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:21.071 117
3. Wurz Honda (B) 1:21.198 77
4. de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:21.417 65
5. Badoer Ferrari (B) 1:22.038 93
6. Paffett McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:22.235 47
7. Kubica BMW-Sauber (B) 1:22.341 56
8. Loeb Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:22.503 82
9. Piquet Renault (B) 1:22.560 80
10. Klien BMW-Sauber (B) 1:22.883 53
11. Hulkenberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:23.467 116
12. Liuzzi Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:23.794 86
13. Sutil Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:23.832 88
14. Gene Ferrari (B) 1:24.117 32
15. Senna Honda (B) 1:24.343 39
16. van der Garde Renault (B) 1:24.908 27
17. di Grassi Honda (B) 1:25.512 48

Re: Klein opens mouth, inserts foot?

http://www.eurosport.yahoo.com/18112008/58/klien-new-bmw-worst-car.html
Why on earth does he comment on the overall look, never mind the fit and finish of a cobbled together test car when he actually has some useful things to say about how the systems will perform? :rolleyes:

Or maybe he didn't really say it the way it came out in this article. :confused: Let's hope.

That front wing looks like trouble with a captial E for expensive.

f1-2008-spa-xp-1404.jpg

Jenson Button finds modified RA108 a car he "enjoys driving."

This is a small blurb that I saw over at MotorSport.com, but based on the Barcelona Test Notes from the Honda team, Jenson finds the modifed RA108 a car that is enjoyable to drive and feels that the low downforce and slicks better suit his driving style. Even this early on, he seems pleased with the start and has high hopes for 2009. Here's to hoping Honda can pull off a miracle in 2009 and make it back to the podium.

51KZWWP3D1L._SL500_AA280_.gif

FOTA to discuss new qualifying format next month.

Interesting... One proposal is to have all cars to jump on track at the same time with the same amount of fuel and then drive for 14 laps, the slowest lapping driver being eliminated each lap, following a run for pole when the final six have been reached. I personally think this could definately spice qualifying up... Can you imagine a front runner having an off and having to start near the back? Could definately mix the field up... I think it's a great idea myself. Makes it so not the lightest car on track automatically goes to pole, makes it so the consistently quick car heads to pole. Another proposal is a championship point goes to the pole sitter as well as some prize money.

mark_webber_redbull_thef-1blog.com.jpg_thumb.jpg

Mark Webber hurt in accident

Apparently, Mark Webber was hit head-on by an SUV while on his mountain bike (How the F that happened is beyond me). Early reports show a broken leg, perhaps broken arms. He's in stable condition, but is out the rest of the year.

397903.jpg

Bourdais says that money could be decision-maker at STR

According to Sebastien Bourdais, STR is in dire need of cash for its '09 Campaign. What this means to us is that while Sebastien may have put in a great "rookie" drive for '08, he may be missing from the picture in '09 due to a lack of contributable funds and/or sponsorship. What this also means is that former Super Best Friends and BAR Driver Takuma Sato could find himself back in Formula 1 with the aid of his sponsorship.

In all reality, I'm personally hoping that Sea Bass and Taku can lead STR back to the podium next year, as I like both drivers.

So who else thinks that the 09 cars look rediculous with that 2 foot rear spoiler?

They need to bring sexy back to the cars. It's not just about their speed.

Back