• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factor X

Hello all,

I am seeking advice on what you would do in my situation. Thanks for your time! [Admin Note: PM or e-mail with advice; this is not a discussion thread]

I also think it’s my responsibility and obligation as a member of this community to share my experience. I would hope that everyone else would do the same. Positive or not.

Background:
I have been put into a situation by Factor X (Mike Angel), whose expert engine building experience has left me with an immobile NSX for pretty much the last year.

The story is a very, very long, albeit, an interesting read for someone on the sidelines. But, for me, it's a very long, extremely painful and very expensive one. I'll shorten it considerably:

Day one:
July 2007
After a couple lengthy conversations with Mike (aka Mikey) from FactorX, he successfully convinced me that they were very competent NSX engine builders with values and at least a satisfactory level of customer service. ERROR #1

After being promised a turn around time of 2-3 weeks for a complete build, I decided to go for it. (I figured that the extra expense to ship it would be worth it for the peace of mind of having an expert NSX engine builder with vast experience working on it rather than a local unknown.) ERROR#2

Car arrives Monday the 6th of August. Mikey promises me a schedule and bi-weekly updates including photos. (I never received one. And every status report was receive after trying to track him down for in most cases several days to weeks)

He promises me that the engine would be dropped by the following Monday due to delays. On the following Tuesday he says another customer is keeping him busy, so moves the date to Friday the 17th.

Engine is pulled eventually and the build is started (already easily 2 weeks into the process. no big deal, I never expected it to be complete within the 2-3 week promised timeline).

Delays push promised completion date to September 10th.
Oops. sorry, how is October 10th?

After many efforts to contact Mikey, I finally get a confirmed promise date of October 23rd. Being a little concerned due to the flip flopping of completion dates, I ask him point blank if the car will be completely done and ready for me to test drive upon my arrival. I told him that I didn’t want to fly out if the car wasn’t fully complete. His response, “Absolutely”. I book my flight and fly out to Vegas.

I arrive at Factor X and the car isn't remotely close to being finished. I was promised a complete car that I could test drive and ship back, and the car barely ran. He told me to drive it up the street being careful not to step on it, and come back. The trip was a complete waste of time and money.

Mikey promises to finish the car by the following week and ship.

Car arrives on November 17th.

I had to travel for the holidays, so pushed the car into the garage (wouldn't start) and waited to test it when I got back.

Arrived back on the week of the 26th. Got it started. Took a short drive about 4 miles or so from my house. While driving down a back road near a local movie theater, the oil light comes on, so I immediately pull over and shut her down. At the time of shutting her down the engine had begun to emit a slight grinding sound.

I look under the car and notice that the oil scavenge pump return line was mounted to the sway bar (yes, sway bar) and the hose had pulled loose which resulted in all of the oil being pumped to the street.

So, I walked through the rain to find a phone (this was a very short test drive so I didn't anticipate having to get out of the car so didn't bring my phone or shoes unfortunately) Finally, I find a restaurant that allowed me to use their phone (despite my wet feet and clothing) and proceed to call my wife to bring tools and oil.

I call Mikey and tell him the story. He is confident that there is no major damage, so I reattach the hose and add the oil and take her home.

I spend over a hundred dollars trying to fix the hose with new custom AN fittings and braided line. The .25cent hose clamps that they used were not holding well. I also created a sleeve that allowed the pump to stay in a fixed spot while the sway bar moved. This worked as a temporary solution until I could relocate the pump.

The car never ran properly. Idle jumps to 2k-3k and randomly cuts off while driving. (Quite embarrassing and annoying when you are at a stop light and your car is idling at 2-3k)

While driving on the freeway, the car decided to shut off completely rendering me stranded on the shoulder. I waited for a few minutes and started it back up. I drive 2-3 miles home at a snails pace, and notice that oil pressure is low. Check oil and there are bubbles in the oil.

Mikey continues to suggest the motor is sound.

Next day I take the car for a test drive down the street from my house. Motor is cold, so oil pressure looks good. As motor becomes warm, the oil pressure begins to drop. Engine violently shuts off while driving and produces a big 'banging' sound. I immediately pull over into a school parking lot and wait for a neighbor to come to my rescue. I start the car up and notice a loud clanking sound as if someone dropped a rock into one of the cylinders.

We tow it back about a mile to my garage.

I call Factor X and leave a message, Mikey doesn’t call back. Try again a few hours later and he answers. I proceed to tell him the story, he finally starts to show some concern and says he had to go, but would call back in 10 minutes. Never calls back. (same story every time)

I call again the next day and Mikey does answer, but, once again has to go quickly and promises to call back. Never does.

2 days later, I call once again and Mikey tells me he couldn't talk. But, he did promise to call back again, but, of course never does. (This is the pattern during the entire experience.)

I finally get him on the phone days later and arrange to send the car back to rebuild on Factor X's dime. I appreciated him standing by his work since there was a contractual warranty. And he even promises to pay for shipping. I appreciate the kind gesture and set up a pick up date.

January the car goes back to Factor X in Las Vegas.

I express concern about rebuilding the motor correctly since Mikey informs me that all that needs to be done is to replace the broken rod bearing. I am a bit concerned since many metal particles traveled through the entire engine after the last catastrophic failure. Mikey assures me that it will be perfectly fine simply replacing the rod bearing.

March arrives and there is absolutely no progress on the car. Many, many, many phone calls that are not returned. I start to get frustrated as anyone would. But, I remain extremely calm and understanding.

April Mikey gives me a verbal progress report and extends the promise date to May 6th.

Throughout the month of April I have even a more difficult time reaching Mikey. Dozens of calls with no call backs. I'm starting to think the car is stolen or worse.

May arrives and I continue to make Mikey aware of a hard date that I had in June due to an event that I was obligated to. "Absolutely not a problem" he reassures me every time.

June arrives and the car is still not complete. I reiterate the importance of the ship date and try to schedule a final trip out for testing prior to shipping.
I also remind him of how unacceptable the condition of the car was during the last trip out and wanted reassurance that it would be complete this time.
“Absolutely, not a problem sir!” He once again promised.

I arrive in Las Vegas and he informs me that the car needs to go to the dyno for final tuning. He tells me to get race gas at the nearby gas station (which of course I have to pay for).

After we spend several hours at the dyno they hand me the bill. (I thought that was part of my original tuning fee that I paid??)

I drive the car back to his shop and it starts to shut off on me on the freeway. (let me tell you, driving this car since Factor X has touched it has been nothing but constant stress and anxiety. Not knowing if you are going to break down in the middle of a busy intersection or on a crowded freeway really isn't a good feeling) I call Mikey who is driving in front of me on the cell and he suggests we pull over into the nearest gas station. He takes a quick look and diagnosis it as an electrical problem and promises to fix it by ship date. “Absolutely, not a problem”
I fly back home, once again without any confidence in the car and that much poorer.

Days pass and Mikey says the electrical problem was worked out.

The car ships back and arrives the day before I have to take it to my event.

When I receive the car it is in absolutely filthy condition and one side skirt is hanging off. One fender has cracks at the bottom and the hood sticks up about a centimeter higher than the fender on one side. The rubber strip between the hood and bumper is completely missing (although he did provide a new one in the car). The alarm no longer works, the plastic interior piece on the passenger door is missing and he neglects to ship back my spare tire. These are just some of the issues.

I spend the entire night cleaning the car and securing the side skirt etc.
Morning comes and I pack the car and my passenger and I begin the journey. About 1 hour along the way the car completely shuts off. I pull over on the freeway and wait a moment. I start it back up and continue to drive. About 3 miles later it shuts off again. At this point we decide to return back to my house and get a rental car. This puts us pretty much a full day off of schedule and more importantly without the NSX which was part of my obligation to show it. But, what's new, it's been a year long hell already.

After my trip I take the car out to test again. Short trips here and there to monitor if it shuts off or not. I did notice the oil pressure appearing low so I call Mikey to inform him. He tells me that the pressure gauge is incorrect and not to worry about it.

After about 5 - 6 hrs of driving since I returned from my trip. I noticed the motor sputtering a bit on the freeway. It then began to emit a sort of fluttering/clanking sound. I take it home and shut it down. I inform Mikey of the problem and continue to diagnose the problem. I'm told by some reputable sources that it sounds like another rod bearing failure. I try to start the car again and it doesn't hold idle, smokes and rattles and clanks like crazy.

That's where I am. The car has been collecting dust in my garage for the last 3 months as I've been trying to get a hold of Mikey. He cancelled his phone number so I attempted to reach him through Ken. Ken was very responsive and did show concern for my situation. He promised to tell Mikey to call me and informed me that he was in no way affiliated with FactorX (the shop).

Weeks later I send an email stating that I'll have to pursue legal action due to his unresponsiveness and unwillingness to contact me to resolve the issue.
Shortly after, I receive a call from Mikey. At that time he promises me that he will go to his bank on Saturday and review the invoices to issue a full refund. Monday comes and he calls to inform me that he didn’t have a chance to go to the bank, but will go that day and call me back. After not hearing from him by Wednesday, I call him to no avail. Finally, I reach him on Thursday and he promises me that he would go the bank that day and will call me back that evening.

That was over a week ago and I have not heard back. I have left numerous messages and emails.

That is a summarized version of this hell that I've been going through with Factor X over the last year+. All I wanted was what they so confidently promised. A fully built motor that was reliable, and a level of customer service that would make me feel like I was in good hands. The entire experience couldn't have been more of the opposite.

Oh, and of course I never received a dime for shipping. That’s nearly 8k in shipping alone. That’s how much I trusted in their expertise and professionalism.

So now, I sit without a car, in the hole more money than you would want to know. What would you do?

Thanks for your time.

////
here is a pic of the hose they used for the oil scavenge pump.

Attachments

• hose.jpg
    hose.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,050
Re: What Would You Do?

sorry for your debacle.First thing you need is a paper trail.You hopefuly have some written contracts if not it is he said he said.That said before you go suing or retaining legal this is a tight community and I would PM stuntman to see whats up with factor x since he drives for them,he seems to be a reasonably mature guy for a young pro driver.There are always two sides to every story and they do post regularly on prime so they are'nt in hiding.I would like to read Mikey's take on this as well.Stay on the high road, act responsibly in your discourse about this on prime and who knows if your posting will help or hurt:confused:

Take all your paperwork, emails, etc and organize it - send copies to Factor X and request what you feel is right even if it's a full rebuild which if you spun a crank bearing your crack may need to be replaced; not on your dime though. If this doesn't work, I'm afraid legal is your only other option.

As much patience as you appear to have shown so far I can understand your pain. Try to work it out though before going down another road, as stated many times in the past, the NSX Prime community is in general very tight. Come out on top by showing patience as you have in the past and everyone here will stand behind you and support you in many ways.

I understand this is not a discussion thread but I just wanted to say something to just clarify a few thigs since the accused party will most likely not respond to this post. Now having read this, I've heard both sides of the story. I'm not even going to begin to make any definitive statements one way or another. I'm not sure if there is any way to know who is at fault for what and where. All I can say is there is definitely two sides to this story and they are definitely in opposition with each other. I also know you will not hear Mikey's side of the story as he does not post on Prime at all. When you see Factor X post, it is Ken who is not affiliated with Factor X the shop (only Factor X Racing and Billy Johnson).

pixelhaus:

I feel deeply for you about this situation as I am another victim of factor x. but I've actually been wrestling over the same type of problem for 4 years. reading your post is like deja vu because I go through the exact same thing with factor x.

Theres just too many events and experiences that will probably take double the amount of time and space that you've already written out. But I've had the exact same experience and I've actually seen your car at Mike's shop many times, probably the same time as when I tried to come pick up my car or get some type of status.

I've seen your widebody red turbo nsx and I admit it is really nice, empeccable detail and lots of money invested in it, one of the nicest nsx's I've ever seen. you've probably seen mine as well, stock 96 black nsx with stock chrome rims, doesn't even come close to what you've done with your car. My engine broke down and a few people recommended me to get it rebuilt instead of getting a motor replacement. So when I looked at the numbers, it seemed to make sense to just get the motor rebuilt so that it will have the potential to go turbo or supercharge or whatever in the future. - that assumption is what led me to my demise. and probably yours too. My car has been back at factor X about 3 times in the past 4 years and it has never been fixed. its just stock! and they can't even get an nsx to run stock. how hard is that? am i asking too much? i could have paid 5 grand instead of spending 10 grand+++++ and wasting 4 years of my life dealing with this back and forth.

what people need to know is that all the hype from the magazines and the awards and the videos and the races won with factor x is all unatainable from the regular nsx owner. the car starts with 270 hp stock. to go to 400-500-1000 hp you gotta have someone pretty knowledgable about the car and how to make it fast. thats where the gimmick comes from. nsx owners see the magazines and the crazy nsx they use to race and they fall for it, they give mike a chance and pay him unreasonable amounts of money so that they can have a reliable race car too. but its not worth it. nsx owners should know what they are getting into. and they should know that mike is most likely mentally retarded and doesn't know what he promises most of the time. everyone should know that they shouldn't give this guy any money because its just gonna be used on god knows what, and not your car. u can email him, call him, and no return. and then when u finally get a hold of him, he just got back from buttonwillow or some race track. maybe if he didnt spend so much time on ken's car, he could actually do what he says and fix our cars. yeah he probably gets paid more since hes involved with sponsorships and stuff but that doesn't mean he should ignore our contracts. he probably thinks we're not going anywhere and that we can wait since he has these "races" coming up every other month.

he doesn't even have the decency to answer the phone for one minute to assure you that your car isn't stolen or chopped up into pieces somewhere in mexico. the funny thing is, the only way to get a hold of him is to post something on prime, otherwise he won't return your call. because if you post something on prime, that will get in the way of the whole "gimmick" that mike has going and he won't be able to rip off future customers.

i've been through all the bs you've been through and more, he even got my car towed and made me pay for it because he left it outside overnight and the cops came to tow it. and he'll try to buy more time by telling you somethings wrong with your car and that a new part is needed and it will take another 2-3 months for that to arrive and to be installed. heres a new idea, if you wanna get a hold of him, just go out to the racing events. hes always there for sure "promoting" or whatever hes doing there. if i had a dime for each time i went to vegas thinking my car would be ready, well you get the idea.

till this day, he still has my car. yes as of 6/26/09 its been about 18 months since he's had it. and the only way i'm able to get it back is by posing on prime. thanks prime! i had to relay to him through ken that i was gonna file a police report because i can't seem to locate my car or who has it for the last 4 months.

you ask what would i do? we'll see what happens if i don't get my car back by next week along with all my money.
you've already wasted 1 year of your life on this bs, don't make the same mistake as me and drag it along for another 3 years. do what you need to do now. we are not the only victims, feel free to contact me anytime.

Docjohn - to add to Vega$NSX's post and to clarify some things: I have never driven for Mike Angel or his tuning/motor building company Factor-X Racing. I have driven for Ken and his company under a similar name (which received all the press and was the race program). The race program (which again is separate company of Mike) has developed into a partnership between Ken and I to develop parts and bring our services (track support, chassis development, and products tested through our racing) to the community.

My/Kens company FX Motorsports Development has no association with Mike or the "FactorX" name. I would appreciate not having my personal name or company brought into problems with a separate individual. We look to serve the community with awesome new parts that are coming out soon and those who have delt with me and my company know our credibility and professionalism.

I do not deny or defend said statements about Mike and FactorX as they are separate from and not my concern. I do feel for everyone who have had problems with said individual and I wish each the best of luck resolving their issues.

Kindest regards,

Billy

I have done business with the OP and would like to say he is a gentleman and a pleasure to do business with. He is extremely patient, reasonable and his demeanor is dignified and mature. He is not quick to complain nor accuse and in my dealings which ran over a few months he never indulged in unreasonable behavior, to the contrary he was fair and understanding. He is not the type to burn bridges but, rather build them.

IMO from my personal experience with the OP he must be at a dead end, an impasse, to resort to a public appeal.

Pixelhaus,
I feel your pain and frustration. I've experienced it myself from Factor X Engineering several years ago. I was convinced that they would competently build my motor and install a turbo system in about 30 days. For roughly 9 months I tried to get them to work on my car and finish it. I even went there several times (3,000 miles each way, each time) to work on it myself in an effort to get them to finish my car. After about 9 months I decided to go and rescue my car because they were going bankrupt. My car was drivable but unfinished. Much of the work had been done by inexperienced (or inadequately experienced) workers. My car was supposed to produce 500 WHP but only produced 440 WHP. (I later found out that the OEM MAP sensor had not been replaced as needed to run higher boost.) The engine would die when the radiator fan activated, and many, many other problems. For example, one of the rubber hoses they installed was touching an exhaust pipe. I also experience having my car towed after getting it from them.
I never received the return of my OEM parts as promised. I really wanted my low mileage OEM pistons and other parts.
I have talked to someone else with a similar problem with the company. Unfortunately, your experience is not unique.

No resolution for me. They don't return my calls, letters, or emails.
Ken tells me he has nothing to do with Factor X and simply says he 'feels bad' for me.

so, I had to buy a used motor with my own funds just to get the car running.
During removal and installation my mechanic noticed that upper and lower control arm bolts were HAND TIGHTENED. He literally removed them without any tools. I was wondering why there was so much shifting in the rear when I changed gears. I thought it was an increase in torque. I guess it was a blessing in disguise that the car broke down so quickly. My mechanic assured me that it wouldn't have been a pretty sight if those bolts came off at 75mph. Maybe if someone died they would have had to take some responsibility. That really pisses me off that they put me in that potential situation.

Also, the ground bolts were loose, which probably was the reason the car kept mysteriously turning off.

Back