• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factory OEM Seats

Ok after buying Recaro Pole Positions in leather, Recaro Sporster CS in leather, and just having my OEM seats recovered in full leather including perforated centers, I can tell you aftermarket seats for the NSX suck compared to the OEM......Unless you are racing the car, and need it. For daily driving, the OEM is the best in my opinion, and most comfortable, and electric to boot... I know we all try to update or upgrade our NSX but let me tell you after spending well over 5K, don't waste your time or money. Maybe have them rewrapped, I had mine stored in a shed, they looked like and smelled like crap. Had them cleaned up and recovered in Full leather, and could not be happier. Just my 2cents.......Take from it what you will......:cool:

Last edited:
I actually like my aftermarket seats better than the OEM. Not saying the OEM are not comfy with the amenity of being electric, but in overall look with a case by case scenario, looks/feel and comfort FOR MY RIDE, are my Sparcos that have been re-upholstered.

I don't have to deal with the Texas sun prepping the seat to burn my back side.
Do not slide in the seat during a hard corner after leather care.
Look like pillows compared to my current seats.
Does not look good in alcantara (my opinion)
(Current seats) No worries on bolster wear or cracking.
Does not look as sporty as the car should have but overall the OEM seats do the job and many like the OEMs better than I do with no complaint =)

Last edited:
I think if I wasnt tracking my car at every chance i have then i would prefer my OEM seats instead of my Downforce seats.
However i think i would take them to an experienced car upholsterer and have them remolded/shaped and recovered.
Pros of OEM easier to get in/out of, electric, comfy as on long trips
Cons of OEM bolsters wear out too easily, slippery on track if pushing it, dont look as good as aftermarket not exotic looking
Pros of AM holds your arse in place when pushing it, look great
Cons of AM getting in and out, not quite as comfy on long trips but not too bad, smaller waist gap

I agree on keeping the originals too. I would like to know what to expect to recover them when the time comes too, if you don't mind telling everyone. If so, you could PM me and that would be great.

I agree on keeping the originals too. I would like to know what to expect to recover them when the time comes too, if you don't mind telling everyone. If so, you could PM me and that would be great.

+1 estimated price to recover

I have a Full set in tan/camel they are MINT 10/10 for sale for 500 shipped, and re-wrapping them takes some time but free if you have nothing to do one weekend and some scary movies to catch up on.

I posted them forsale like a month ago still up for grabs guys LOL

I got the inserts on my OEM seats recovered in ultrasuede. It really improved sliding around on the track a lot. I tried to see if i could get holes made for the shoulder belts also but that is not possible due to the metal bar that holds the headrest posts being in the way. So i had pieces of webbing attached to the top of the seat for the shoulder belts to go through. It keeps them from sliding around so much. I have a harness bar and 5 pts and these changes really improve track performance. No more bruised knee from bracing against the door...

Good advice Brent, do you have any before and after pictures of your OEM seats. How much did the recover cost?
Not sure on cost, a friend had it done for me as a gift. I do know, if you go to a reupolster shop, take the seats and not the car. It will cost you much less, they usually remove oem for the pattern and don't have a clue its for a NSX. Thats what my friend did. I have seats out of car at moment, will try to get a photo posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Oem seats are anchors. Delete them.
If you are racing, just take out passenger seat......

- - - Updated - - -

I actually like my aftermarket seats better than the OEM. Not saying the OEM are not comfy with the amenity of being electric, but in overall look with a case by case scenario, looks/feel and comfort FOR MY RIDE, are my Sparcos that have been re-upholstered.

I don't have to deal with the Texas sun prepping the seat to burn my back side.
Do not slide in the seat during a hard corner after leather care.
Look like pillows compared to my current seats.
Does not look good in alcantara (my opinion)
(Current seats) No worries on bolster wear or cracking.
Does not look as sporty as the car should have but overall the OEM seats do the job and many like the OEMs better than I do with no complaint =)

Come on dude, you are like me, you don't like original anything on the NSX.......LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Full set in tan/camel they are MINT 10/10 for sale for 500 shipped, and re-wrapping them takes some time but free if you have nothing to do one weekend and some scary movies to catch up on.

I posted them forsale like a month ago still up for grabs guys LOL

That is a HELLUVA deal.............I don't like tan, but thats almost too good of a deal to pass up...............4K each from Acura

Last edited:
I purchased the ebay ones for 225 for both seats and did them myself. I figured my old seats looked like death and it couldn't hurt. If they didn't come out good I was just going to get pole positions. Overall I was pretty impressed for the price and the whole ebay thing. Pics suck but I got perforated inserts and standard black synthetic leather. I did both in about 4 hours. First one took me like 3 hours second one maybe an hour and a half tops.

OEM seats are heavy.

Jay Leno mentioned that electric seats are basically lame. U adjust the seat once and that's it.

Electric motors adds weight and yet one more thing to break.

The sliding around can be fixed by ultrasuede seat back and bottom. I know from redoing the RX7 seats from leather to just that. Problem solved.

Not all recaros suck for everyday use on a street car.

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/product-areas-us/aftermarket-seats/product/overview.html

I've been eyeing the top row seats just for my truck.

I have sat in many aftermarket seats and none are as confortable as the OEM seats. OEM FTW

The OEM seats are not that heavy as some are saying, I have both and the difference is not much if I had access to a set of scales I would back that comment up.
However the rails are heavier on the OEM because of the electrics, when you pick both up there is a difference but I would not classify them as boat anchors. :)
So if you are after weight reduction and track work yes go AM, if not do the above

The OEM seats are not that heavy as some are saying, I have both and the difference is not much if I had access to a set of scales I would back that comment up.
However the rails are heavier on the OEM because of the electrics, when you pick both up there is a difference but I would not classify them as boat anchors. :)
So if you are after weight reduction and track work yes go AM, if not do the above

I think my Recaro sporsters with the aftermarket seat rails, aren't much lighter than oem units. Recaro Pole Positions same as NSX-R seats, are lighter, but no adjustments, suck on long trips.....

P.S. Just curious, has anyone recovered the OEM NSX seats in cloth? not just the center, but the whole seat? Would be warm in winter, and coler in the summer.might be kinda neat.......:cool:

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures of your prior Recaros in the nsx?

I recently purchased my NSX and I am beyond amazed at how comfortable the factory seats feel. I have a set of JDM DC2 Recaros and Bride Zetas that I am tempted to install in the car because lets face it, new car, means time to start installing parts :)

I'm curious as to what seat rails you used for the seats.

Thanks in advance

Damn that looks good.
I purchased the ebay ones for 225 for both seats and did them myself. I figured my old seats looked like death and it couldn't hurt. If they didn't come out good I was just going to get pole positions. Overall I was pretty impressed for the price and the whole ebay thing. Pics suck but I got perforated inserts and standard black synthetic leather. I did both in about 4 hours. First one took me like 3 hours second one maybe an hour and a half tops.

Do you have any pictures of your prior Recaros in the nsx?

I recently purchased my NSX and I am beyond amazed at how comfortable the factory seats feel. I have a set of JDM DC2 Recaros and Bride Zetas that I am tempted to install in the car because lets face it, new car, means time to start installing parts :)

I'm curious as to what seat rails you used for the seats.

Thanks in advance

My seat rails were custom made by a Recaro seat retailer for the NSX. Can find and PM info if needed. If you go to youtube under "best acura nsx" my car, not my video. I think you can see them in the video. Still in car at moment will take a few photos, Modifying an NSX is a horrible disease, starts with factory radio and wheels and never,ever ends.....Don't take my word, ask Gil or Vroom.......:cool:

Go to photo section and look at NSX videos, you can see them in the short video.....

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -Come on dude, you are like me, you don't like original anything on the NSX.......LOL- - - Updated - - -

You're right as far as interior goes!!! Pics of my seats. They are not light honestly, but I didn't care about the weight. At least continue with some sort of comfort removing the OEM Lazy boys. Maybe one day do a project with these and add the electric functions back in.
1391621321_zps3d6cf1ac.jpg

1391621312_zps7d14a0e7.jpg

OK, here's the thing. The OEM seats are...well...oem...And not just OEM...but the best OEM seats Honda ever designed. I'd stack them up against pretty much any other oem seat out there. You would have to spend some serious bucks to match the comfort, support, and overall quality of the oem seats. The early OEM leather was incredible as well...for a few years anyway. If you can find some low mileage early skins in like new condition, grab them! (I'm in the market for some in ivory if anybody has some laying around.)

I've driven for eight, nine hours straight in the oem seats and found them extremely comfy on such long trips. There are probably aftermarket seats out there that would be just as nice on the long haul but you won't know unless you plant your butt in one for eight hours.

Forget about the whole weight thing unless you are planning to track your car a LOT. Then just buy one nice light bucket and leave the other one home on track day.

Anything but OEM will be a compromise in the end. But hey, it's your end that has to deal with whatever you decide to install behind the wheel..

Last edited:
TOF,
I have these skins from my ivory seats before I had them redone. They are not Perfect, but in great shape.

DSCN0241.jpg

Hey guys, just a reminder, I like aftermarket seats, I have spent plenty on them. With the mod craze that everyone on prime has, I was just attempting to save people some money. or possibly spend that money on something more beneficial to the car ie: suspensioin, wheels, radio etc..........Happy Modding........

Back