• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factory stereo IPod integration, Plug-n-Play - GromAudio

Re: Clarification please

Please clarify for us non Pod owners: The volume control and track/ff/rew controls work. Nothing else, right? So we put say 10-50 songs on each of six "albums", but we need to use the Pod to switch between these albums, right? So you would have to shuttle thru the 50 songs to find a particular track, right? TIA.

With this device the full functionality of the IPod still works. You can shuffle through all the songs on the Ipod itself to find the desired track you're looking for and play it. If you decide you want to change the track you can do so either by using the IPod itself or by using the NSX controls. Finding a track in a 50 track album can be done as easy as using the IPod directly OR by using the track ff/rev buttons on the NSX control.

With this device the full functionality of the IPod still works. You can shuffle through all the songs on the Ipod itself to find the desired track you're looking for and play it. If you decide you want to change the track you can do so either by using the IPod itself or by using the NSX controls. Finding a track in a 50 track album can be done as easy as using the IPod directly OR by using the track ff/rev buttons on the NSX control.

On the OEM CD changer, there are 6 disc slots. On the OEM console, you can FF from disc 1 to 6 by pressing the "program" button. If I set up my ipod to have 6 playists, can I treat each playlist as a CD, and can FF from playlist 1 to playlist 3 by pressing the program button twice on the OEM console? Thanks.

On the OEM CD changer, there are 6 disc slots. On the OEM console, you can FF from disc 1 to 6 by pressing the "program" button. If I set up my ipod to have 6 playists, can I treat each playlist as a CD, and can FF from playlist 1 to playlist 3 by pressing the program button twice on the OEM console? Thanks.
I'm hearing the program button does nothing, we would have to use the Pod to change "disks". As far as usability, this sucks, at least for us old timers that like to keep our eyes on the road. I'm only interested because stiff suspensions cause CD changers to skip, and I could save about 5 pounds, which is huge to me. Hopefully someone else will explain things in detail.

I have the USA-spec adapter with RCA jacks and an IPOD adapter. When I press "7" which is the "program button", it does change between the playlists. and the RCA jack (I have my Sat. radio connected on the RCAs) and FF changes to the next song in the playlist, and RR goes to the previous song. I can also have complete control at the IPOD itself. Perhaps the g-rom unit is different. I can have 5 playlists with 99 songs in each. But I can still scroll/play any song on the IPOD using the IPOD itself.

I have the USA-spec adapter with RCA jacks and an IPOD adapter. When I press "7" which is the "program button", it does change between the playlists. and the RCA jack (I have my Sat. radio connected on the RCAs) and FF changes to the next song in the playlist, and RR goes to the previous song. I can also have complete control at the IPOD itself. Perhaps the g-rom unit is different. I can have 5 playlists with 99 songs in each. But I can still scroll/play any song on the IPOD using the IPOD itself.

Since you have a 97 NSX, which one GromAudio did you buy (MBUSI, MBUSA, HON1I, or HON1A)? I am assuming the different part number comes with a different cable interface.

Please clarify for us non Pod owners: The volume control and track/ff/rew controls work. Nothing else, right? So we put say 10-50 songs on each of six "albums", but we need to use the Pod to switch between these albums, right? So you would have to shuttle thru the 50 songs to find a particular track, right? TIA.

Hi

First it would be possible to construct a twin thing so you can have both the cd changer and the Grom adapter connected. If you then have a cord with a switch in lets say the box between the seats then you could switch between them.

I see ofcourse no need to do this when you have gone the Ipod/mp3 way.

You can use the disc buttons from 2->6 to switch between playlists. So if you put your favorites in those playlists then you do not have to shuttle through a big amount of tunes before you find your correct one.

I have "topped" my Ipod so whatever I play it is all good tunes. To have access to podcasts I have made a playlist which is named 5Podcast on the Ipod. It is on disc 6 on the factory stereo.

I am looking forward to getting all the speakers sorted out so I get super sound with 10" sub and Seas Lotus Ref series speakers in the doors.

Regards

To answer your question "yes" the FF/Track/Rew/Repeat does work in conjuction with the Ipod on the OEM CD function commands. All you got to do is set up a new folder or playlist on your Ipod and drag/copy/paste all your favorite songs on to one playlist / folder and you're done. Simple stuff.

To answer your question "yes" the FF/Track/Rew/Repeat does work in conjuction with the Ipod on the OEM CD function commands. All you got to do is set up a new folder or playlist on your Ipod and drag/copy/paste all your favorite songs on to one playlist / folder and you're done. Simple stuff.

Hi

Yes you are correct. What I have done is that I have renamed the ones I would like to access with the Grom unit.

I have 11 playlists on my Ipod/Itunes. They are sorted based on alphabet.

If I have these one
Playlist first
Playlist second
So on
Playlist 9
Playlist 10
Playlist 11

If I want to access the Playlist 10 and 11 or any other on the Grom/OEM stereo I rename the playlists like this:
Playlist first
Playlist second
So on
1Playlist 10
2Playlist 11

Then the sorting order on Itunes/Ipod of the playlists will change and I can access number 10 and 11 as disc 2 and 3 on the oem stereo.

You can ofcourse change your playlist name to APlaylist BPlaylist and so on if you want.

I think that the renaming I do is good as I can have different playlists accessible for whatever mood I am in.

I have also made one playlist which I have called 6Podcast where I drag and drop all the podcast on the unit. That way I can access the podcasts too through the cd change button.

I will have the ipod in the box between the seats. But until I do the Ipod is in the trunk. But the above give me access to what I want without me having to use the touchpad on the Ipod.

Regards

Since you have a 97 NSX, which one GromAudio did you buy (MBUSI, MBUSA, HON1I, or HON1A)? I am assuming the different part number comes with a different cable interface.

I have the usa-spec pa11hon not the g-rom unit

Thanks Martin, your first post told me things will work as I had hoped. I don't know what the hell you said in your second post, but I'm sure it will make sense after I pick up a Pod this evening. Thanks!

I just got my GROM unit and have it temp installed (in the trunk, not permanant yet) everything workss and sounds great.... however, i can only acess disk 1-5.... NOTHING on six.... i have the playlists numbered 2-6 and they are the only playlists on my ipod.... playlist 1 seams to be acessing the ENTIRE song catalog as it is supposed to do as per the manual... 2-5 play in order as i have them set up... however, CD6 plays nothing..... now if i go to the CD1 and use the dial on the ipod and select a cong from the playlist6 and select it, that playlist will now come up when i go to the CD 2-6, but it knocks out one of the other playlists.... i havent figured out the way it selects which playlist to replace... i will be doing that next.... anyways, am i missing something or should i only be able to have 5 total playists..... #1 for ALL the songs on the ipod and 2-5 for made playlists...

any help is appriciated...thanks...dave

I too installed my GROM iPod interface this weekend. I replaced my CD changer with the GROM unit in the trunk so my SmarTenna still works. I routed the iPod wire back into the passenger compartment.

You guys were right. The stock stereo system just CAME ALIVE.

Unfortunately, the awesome sound quality did not last long. My GROM unit has failed. It only lasted a few minutes. The unit still charges, but the head unit just blinks CD -- -- and I can't select a "disc."

GROM support has been good so far (they sent the wrong cables even though I specifically asked for the 8pin round connector). I just emailed them asking for a replacement. We'll see how they handle this. I am hoping they send a replacement unit before I have to send the defective one back.

Ok... got it completely installed.... ran the cable thru the fire wall and dremmelled out a hole in the coin tray, where it fits perfectly snug... figured out the playlist problem i was having... for some reason, whatever you have as your first playlist gets skipped... no matter what you name it.... so i put a blank playlist in the #1 potisition and then named the next five A-E... thus i have 5 playlists to use... play list 1 is the entire library, which you use the ipod wheel to select which songs to play...... needless to say this is by far the best add on to my car !!!!!!!!!!!!!

annother thing, for those that have the factory CD player and a smartenna, all you have to do is unplug the CD changer at the end of the factory extention cable and plug the GROM unit in there..... i ran the GROM extention cable from there thru the hole in the trunk fire wall and the the passenger compartment firewall on the passsenger side of the car.... so, if i ever want to go back to the CD change (I highky doubt it thought) all i have to do is switch the plugs right there at the CD changer....

AGAIN....... the best mod you can do to your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got my GROM unit and have it temp installed (in the trunk, not permanant yet) everything workss and sounds great.... however, i can only acess disk 1-5.... NOTHING on six.... i have the playlists numbered 2-6 and they are the only playlists on my ipod.... playlist 1 seams to be acessing the ENTIRE song catalog as it is supposed to do as per the manual... 2-5 play in order as i have them set up... however, CD6 plays nothing..... now if i go to the CD1 and use the dial on the ipod and select a cong from the playlist6 and select it, that playlist will now come up when i go to the CD 2-6, but it knocks out one of the other playlists.... i havent figured out the way it selects which playlist to replace... i will be doing that next.... anyways, am i missing something or should i only be able to have 5 total playists..... #1 for ALL the songs on the ipod and 2-5 for made playlists...

any help is appriciated...thanks...dave
I haven't yet fired mine up yet, but you need to read the manual for the GROM, it does explain pretty much just what you said. Disk one will always be an "manual pod mode only", and however many disk slots you have left will be how many "albums" we can have, which is five. I believe it will handle 99, but our units won't. I'm excited, this mod dropped over 9 1/2 pounds!

I guess I haven't been adventurous since I've never used that function. I just put mine on Random an created playlists with songs I like. I pretty much only use the track buttons. Haha.

I'm glad others like this mod as much as I did.

Just installed the USA Spec unit this weekend and WOW, what a difference.

I have had an iPod integration kit (Dension) installed in my daily driver BMW for years and have been itching to throw one in the NSX. The stereo really does sound great using the iPod. I especially like the extra RCA input and the ability to select whether or not to use the playlist features. Personally, I like going through the iPod's interface to select music and have never created a playlist.

I followed the instructions for installing behind the driver's seat and it was pretty painless. I also removed the CD changer from the trunk since I'll probably never use it again.

On to the next project.... anybody know of a way to hard wire a bluetooth system into the old phone hardwiring?

I just installed my Grom in the coin tray. Actually, I had the cell phone buttons and when i took it apart, there was a cut up coin tray under there. I will post up some pictures tonight. By the way, it works great. Very easy mod.

Adrian

Nice post guys... Anything for the Blackberry Pearl phone????
Trev

Nice post guys... Anything for the Blackberry Pearl phone????
Trev

You can use the USAspec interface with ANYTHING that has an audio output. Just get the appropriate stereo RCA output cable and thats it! Most personal audio devices including phones use either a 3.5mm mini headphone jack or on rare occasions the 2.5mm mini headphone jack. You can get generic male mini headphone jack to stereo RCA cables online or at Radioshack/WalMart/etc for $2-$5.

I just installed my unit this evening and I have a volume problem. There is low volume, even though I have the radio volume all the way up. Any suggestions????

So can anyone tell me what adapter I need for my 01? I have looked through all the Honda and Acura, and can't seem to locate a plug for the later models. Does the earlier one work for the 01 as well?

thanks

I just installed my unit this evening and I have a volume problem. There is low volume, even though I have the radio volume all the way up. Any suggestions????

Have you adjusted the volume up on your IPOD?

Many have asked where and how to purchase the Grom Audio integration.
Go to In Dash PC and type in the Make, Year, Model etc.. and make sure you seletct "black ipod connector", or you make get white. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all years use the same type of 8 pin connector. Just to be safe I also specified black 8 pin connector under "notes". Although it does not specify "NSX" under compatability, this is the same cord/apapter that most of us purchased and we haven't had any problems.

Here is the link:

http://indashpc.org/new/ipod_adapters/grom-ipod-mbus.html

It's already on Acura/Honda, just make sure you type in "make, model, year" in the box below.
NOTE: I just noticed that it only specifies 92-05, but I believe that's a typo. Yes, 91's are also use the same connector, so just type in 92 for your year if you own a 91.

Last edited:
Back