• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factory stereo IPod integration, Plug-n-Play - GromAudio

I had the same issue. I hit the button on the oem stereo marked "A. select" or whatever it says (on the right hand side of the oem stereo) and the volume went up to normal.

I really am puzzled why everyone says the stereo is so much better than with the CD. Isn't the compression way way higher on the CD vs. the mp3? I do understand the difference between using a hard drive to hold a zillion songs vs. the changer, but as for song quality?

mp3s can have a higher bitrate and quality but usually mp3's are ripped from a cd so that means its not going to be any better than the CD it was ripped from.

Unless the artist released the album straight onto mp3 which is rare (NIN released his last album this way)

I just did the set up last night and oh boy this thing really bring the old Bose stereo system back to life :eek:.

The different is really day and night for me. This mod is really a must for the NSX.

Big thanks to Happa88, NSX-GT and others for the tips.

Plus one on the above! It makes all the difference in the world! Do it, you will enjoy the sound.

I had the same issue. I hit the button on the oem stereo marked "A. select" or whatever it says (on the right hand side of the oem stereo) and the volume went up to normal.

I really am puzzled why everyone says the stereo is so much better than with the CD. Isn't the compression way way higher on the CD vs. the mp3? I do understand the difference between using a hard drive to hold a zillion songs vs. the changer, but as for song quality?
I may be repeating myself but I am an audiophile and believe I have a pretty good ear having "practiced" listening for test purposes (and maybe you guys have too). I knew the sound quality might be worse, but I thought with the modest and forgiving bose and in the car, It would probably not be objectionable. But it is, it sounds choppy and tinny. I now have to turn the treble down more and the bass up to deal with the harshness. The lower bit rate sound does give the impression of being more "alive". It's kind of a fakeout, like plasma vs CRT. At first it sounds better. For those that thought the system was lacking treble and aggressiveness, they will like it better. They may or may not tire of it over time. I wish I was less experienced. I liked the bose setup for an auto, now I don't. Live and learn.

You're an audiophile and you admit you liked Bose?? Haha. That's a contradiction in itself!

A true CD will always have a better sound quality than even a high bitrate MP3. MP3s are compressed (using a lossy encoding) and use perceptual coding to represent the original sound. I mean you're compressing it (on average) to about 1/10 the original size! Of course you'll lose something.

However because of the of the noisy car environment, the limitations of the factory Bose system, and the fact that 95% of people aren't audiophiles. . . most people will not notice the difference. What they will notice is increased sound quality/fidelity difference between the FM radio and the MP3.

The IPod also has a built in equalizer to further boost frequencies (unlike the CD Changer). I personally like the "Jazz" setting as I feel it helps counter some of the Bose's shortcomings.

You're an audiophile and you admit you liked Bose?? Haha. That's a contradiction in itself!
Yeah you got me dead to rights there, but it is a car, and I do think it sounds pretty good for a 1991 Bose. I have no soundproofing, no cats, etc. I don't listen in the car much. If I could find an exhaust that sounded good at low rpms as well as high, I'd love to just pull the stereo, but I don't think one exists, at least to my tastes. I'm not sure saying you are "audiophile" is something to brag about anyway.:redface:

Just FYI,
This adapter does NOT charge the new Apple iPhone 3G. All other functions work normally. Works perfectly with the old IPhone. Stupid Apple always trying to make money. :rolleyes:

Just installed the Grom Ipod/Iphone unit. Best audio upgrade. Really makes the factory bose system sound excellant. The only thing I found is that where you mount the unit on the tcs box you cant put the top trim back on. you have to move the unit off the the left of the tcs box for the top trim piece to go back on. no big thing. Awesome sound. :biggrin:

can you tell me if the GROM iPod adapter completely reliable ? (and for how long you use it). I would be interested for my car (oops .... not an NSX, a bmw e46 3er)

(ps: sorry english is not my first language)

can you tell me if the GROM iPod adapter completely reliable ? (and for how long you use it). I would be interested for my car (oops .... not an NSX, a bmw e46 3er)

(ps: sorry english is not my first language)

Hi

See above here in this thread for when I bought the Grom adapter. I do believe I reported here that I bought it.

Well it works pretty well. My NSX is now in hibernation. What I have seen during the summer is that it works pretty well. My speakers is fuxxed up so the sound quality has been so and so.

I do believe these errors is due to the speakers and the Ipod itself:
From time to time I turn on the stereo and there is no sound. I turn of the headunit and on and off and on. But I can not get any sound before I change cd/playlist.

I have also seen that when I turn on the headunit it starts on the beginning of the track and not where I left. I have not seen if the playlist thing is correct as I have just been happy to have sound other than my Tubi Style exhaust.

I have also seen a need to reset the Ipod a couple of times as sound was "going" away. But that particular Ipod have been in the pocked of a pair of pants I washed in the washing machine. The adapter worked like a charm when I tried with a Ipod Nano 8gb. Then I reset the "washable" Ipod and everything was back to normal again.

I would highly recommend the adapter. The errors I have is probably due to speakers/amps and the Ipod itself.

Regards

Last edited:
I got the Grom adapter and just plugged it into the cable that I took off of the CD Changer in the trunk. It worked OK for awhile, and then, no sound. The Ipod looks like it is doing it's thing. I wonder if it is too hot in the trunk for the adapter too work there. Any one have any thoughts about this. Thanks; Howard

Has anyone else had trouble creating that empty playlist named "1" on the iPod? (as described in the Grom Audio instruction booklet)

I create empty "1" playlist in iTunes, but it doesn't transfer to the iPod.

Also I tried creating it in iTunes with one song and transferred that to the iPod OK. But when I delete that song in iTunes and the playlist is now the empty, iTunes still doesn't transfer the "1" playlist to the iPod.

What's the trick ?

Has anyone else had trouble creating that empty playlist named "1" on the iPod? (as described in the Grom Audio instruction booklet)

Also I tried creating it in iTunes with one song and transferred that to the iPod OK. But when I delete that song in iTunes and the playlist is now the empty, iTunes still doesn't transfer the "1" playlist to the iPod.

What's the trick ?

Hi

I am sure that there is a trick. I am also sure I can help you out. But it is getting too late here to help anyone.

I have four Ipod's. One Grom adapter. Only one NSX, but I am quite sure I can help you out.

I just have to see if I can help you out. I can not help anyone at the moment.

Regards

Hi

Itunes has it's limitations. But having only a usb is not the way to go. Having playlists's is the way to go for sure.

As I said in the previous post I have 4 Ipods. I know everything about Itune's limitations which I bounce into often.

Regards

I have a question about the maximum number of songs in a play list that the bose head unit will recognize?
Is it 99?

If so, then the USB will virtualize the disk changer with a 4GB stick. Nice for a trunk mount.

Just FYI,
This adapter does NOT charge the new Apple iPhone 3G. All other functions work normally. Works perfectly with the old IPhone. Stupid Apple always trying to make money. :rolleyes:

To add to this FYI there NOW is another GROM V2 that charges the iPHONE 3G and iPOD nano G4. MBUS I2. $10.00 more, but it does work. For those without iPOD or iPHONE, there is a USB key version of the GROM. This version also has a 3.5 mm audio in plug for those BlackBerry, non iPOD MP3 players. The USB port allows 32G USB keys to be read and played just like an iPOD. This is a great trunk mount solution. plug, play and forget.
http://www.gromaudio.com/usb.html

I have also found that the iPOD adapter doe NOT have the same good sound quality of an original CD. Compression is lossy. Now if you are creating WAV files from exisiting MP3s and build disks for your changer, then the iPOD adpater is better than that. A WAV file built from a MP3 file has about 1/3 of the information missing.

I am trying to choose between mounting this Grom iPOD unit in the trunk, or is control of the iPOD required with the iPOD in the car.
Also, I want to contunue use of the Smartena.
- in Grom simple mode (disk 01) you have full access to the iPOD click wheel for total selection. This may be necessary.
so,
for now, I have it mounted in the trunk. I mounted the Grom unit behind the CD changer, behind the trunk iner cover on the passenger side.
however,
if this is not convient, then I will be getting the Grom unit into the cab behind the drivers seat but keeping the Smartena operational will take an extension cable as others have mentioned.
If you presently have a CD changer. You have the extension cable in the car already! There is a 8 pin DIN extension cable that runs from the CD changer on the passenger side to the Drivers side in the trunk near the antenna. This DIN cable runs from the CD changer along the rear of the trunk, near the tail lamps to the connection near the antenna.
One could remove this cable. (dealer installed) and use it to connect from the Smartena through the engine compartment to just behind the drivers seat. Mount the unit as shown earlier in this thread and connect you iPOD in the cab.
Best of both worlds, iPODand Smartenna fuctional.

What's the trick ?
I had problems with a empty playlist 1 also. I fixed the problem by putting 1 song on playlist 1. The Grom will overlook whatever is in playlist 1 from the stereo console. When the console says CD1, it is playing from your master playlist (all songs in your iPod). Playlist 2-6 will play in order unless you set your iPod to shuffle. You can also play in the shuffle mode by pressing the scan button on your stereo. Try putting 1 song in playlist 1 and see if that fix your problem. Good luck.

I have a question about the maximum number of songs in a play list that the bose head unit will recognize?
Is it 99?

For playlists 2-6, 99 is the maximum tat it will recognize. Have not had a drive long enough to notice for playlist 1.

Last edited:
I bought the GROM ipod V2 and installed into the trunk (on a bmw). I notice I don't have song titles.
I used it since two days and encountered one problem : on day, the GROM iPod was not recognize, disconnecting the iPod, or the GROM cables didn't do anything. I was compelled to remove the radio unit fuses from the car to make the GROM come alive, which is really annoying.

Have you ever had such a problem ?
Thanks ! :wink:

Just to help out those asking about the Smartenna with the ipod adapter. I purchased the USA SPEC adapter and plugged it into the location where the cd changer is. When I turned on the car the antennae went up so I figured that the Smartenna didn't work. Now here comes the weird part. Went i stuck in the tape adapter into the tape deck the antenna went down! When I ejected the tape the antennae remained down and now won't come back up when the radio is on. So the end result is the antenna will not go up in any mode. Go figure. What the heck is going on here?!

Update: Ok now the antenna will go down when the radio is on and up when the cd is selected. This is crazy. However, when i insert the tape the antenna goes down and stays down no matter what mode you are in (radio, tape, cd). Can the electronics gurus please explain this to me. My nsx is possessed.

...now the antenna will go down when the radio is on and up when the cd is selected. This is crazy. However, when i insert the tape the antenna goes down and stays down no matter what mode you are in... My nsx is possessed.

It sounds like the Smartenna is performing as designed - it lowers the antenna when you have a tape in. How are you able to engage radio mode with the tape in?:confused: The antenna should stay down in CD or tape mode, and only go up when the tape is out and you are in radio mode.

Back