• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fiery Orange NSX Wrap

d5e8bf6d9bcd04a431fe38ba189055f5.jpg
d5e4349d812bc5a32d0add98c3941f9d.jpg
5d2c41a49586a5e030c085ec3558a055.jpg

Here are a few quick night pics. Will need to find a better place with lighting than my garage. The calipers look sweet when light hits them. During day they are bright red but at night they reflect the light and shimmer.

$2400 for the wrap. Very reseasonable. Are you talking yourself into wrapping?
I have been considering it yes. I love my black car though. I may just wrap it black rather then respray. Another gentleman here in Sacramento had his car done blue and the wrap job looks very nice. So it is on my radar. Plus I hate the fact of having it sit at some body shop for months for a respray. How long did your car take?

Wow. That turned out great!

Im toying with wrapping mine myself, since I used to own a sign shop and worked with vinyl daily, and still have the wholesale accounts alive and open, and a cutter wrapped up collecting dust in the shop. Im jealous of some of you in the most populated and higher demand areas. Wrapping here is closer to 3500, so trying it out myself becomes more and more tempting. I know I could knock it out on the bigger flat panels like fenders, quarters, and doors. Some of the areas confuse the heck out of me though.

For example, are there any seams anywhere? Like on the rear bumper, or front bumper where the marker lights and vent openings are? Its been several years (okay.. closer to over a decade) since I have worked with wrap material, so maybe its evolved, but back in my day there was no way the material would stretch that far without compromising the integrity. It would become so thin that just looking at it wrong would cause it to tear!

That looks amazing. Congratulations on one beautiful and unique machine. I'm hoping mine turns out that well. Enjoy her.

I have been considering it yes. I love my black car though. I may just wrap it black rather then respray. Another gentleman here in Sacramento had his car done blue and the wrap job looks very nice. So it is on my radar. Plus I hate the fact of having it sit at some body shop for months for a respray. How long did your car take?

It ended up being more like 10 days, from the originally quoted 5-6 days. But that wasn't the shop's fault since about 1/2 of the wrap roll turned out to be bad with discoloration and streaks. So they had to order and wait for a new roll to finish the job. Not to bad considering it is better to wait and have it done right.

For example, are there any seams anywhere? Like on the rear bumper, or front bumper where the marker lights and vent openings are? Its been several years (okay.. closer to over a decade) since I have worked with wrap material, so maybe its evolved, but back in my day there was no way the material would stretch that far without compromising the integrity. It would become so thin that just looking at it wrong would cause it to tear!

The only seams are on the mirrors, front lower bumper where all the air inlets are, and rear license plate area. Yea, the shop has been doing wraps since they first came out and said they have come a long way. No way they could have done the rear bumper in 1 piece along with other areas without the wraps being way better now.

That looks amazing. Congratulations on one beautiful and unique machine. I'm hoping mine turns out that well. Enjoy her.

Thanks, yours is looking sharp too. Going the extra mile on all the door seams etc will look good. Luckily my base color is black so the orange looks just fine.

Last edited:
awesome!!! Looks great!!!

had mine wrapped last year for same reasons you did...so glad I did, absolutely love mine!!!

That colour is absolutely stunning! :love_heart:

I've seen this car pre wrap, it was a good looking car already, can't wait to see this in person!

I like the black accents you left like the side intake and door handles

Last edited:
d5e8bf6d9bcd04a431fe38ba189055f5.jpg
d5e4349d812bc5a32d0add98c3941f9d.jpg
5d2c41a49586a5e030c085ec3558a055.jpg

Here are a few quick night pics. Will need to find a better place with lighting than my garage. The calipers look sweet when light hits them. During day they are bright red but at night they reflect the light and shimmer.

I really like this more and more. It gives me hope in future wrap jobs. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us. It looks spectacular!!!

Thanks for the comments. This last weekend I decided to join the High Performance Driver hosted cruise to Galveston. Thought it would be interesting as I have never participated in a cruise before. Well with over a 100+ cars it was hectic. And not to offend anyone but not a very good variety of cars, just the common place mustangs, cameros, corvettes, and vipers. Once we got to Galveston we ended up peeling off and doing our own thing. But now I know, I would rather cruise with 20 or less cars in a group. Much easier in traffic and better opportunities to check out each others cars rolling and having a good time.

Anyways, a few more pics in daylight. I know someone took some rolling pics of the car as I was the only NSX, so if I find it I will post it.

11737947_10207030188732597_2500622592759536411_n.jpg

11742866_864948773590188_3661835624140210664_n.jpg

So what is the life expectancy of wrap? How does it hold up to bugs, rock chips, peeling? What about when it comes time to remove it?

So what is the life expectancy of wrap? How does it hold up to bugs, rock chips, peeling? What about when it comes time to remove it?

3M says the "performance life" is 7 years of matte, gloss, sating finishes and 5 years for their brushed metal and fiber wraps. The official warranty is 3 years for vertical surfaces and 1 year for horizontal. The shop I had it done at warranties their own work for a year. So if it peels or any discoloration they will fix it.

Bugs I pretty much clean those all off at the end of the day/drive. Just like you would normally with no issues. With rocks I think you get the benefit of protecting the original paint from damage. If it really starts to get bad you can patch the wrap or rewrap just that panel. Both of which are far easier and cheaper than fixing chips to paint. If I get peeling then I will just go back to the shop for correcting.

You basically remove it the same way it went on with heat. I also think they have chemicals to loosen the adhesive as well if heat is not enough to pull it off.

It's been a few months now with the wrap and I absolutely love it. So glad I did a wrap. Protects the original paint from bugs and rocks. Plus got lots of compliments from fellow NSXers during TX NSX Craze. That's the true test.

If you are on the fence about doing a wrap. Go for it. Wraps have come a long way. Plus remember the installer skill, whether they pull panels or not, color selected, and the type of finish you pick will play a big role on if it looks like a wrap or paint.

Anyway. A few new pics. Holding up well. Also just wrapped the targa brace and it added a little pop to the engine bay.

3bedc1d5c047257e2ae17f82f4eb54b7.jpg
dc5229551aebd7a6420bf2533e4f287d.jpg
02b402512aca11f1c0cada58b72b054e.jpg
a12e2673f4ed9da11a95189874b2cc81.jpg

remember the installer skill, whether they pull panels or not, color selected, and the type of finish you pick will play a big role on if it looks like a wrap or paint.

As someone who attempted to do a DIY wrap, I couldn't agree with this statement more. This is possible to DIY, but with like most things, a professional is always going to do a better job. Another thing that no one really talks about is that the end result of the color you choose can vary greatly based on the original color of your car. If you have a Berlina car, the stretch points will seem darker than the stretch points on a GPW. The areas where you have to heat it up and stretch it out will make the material slightly translucent. Another thing I learned from picking the brains of a professional is that matte wraps are much more forgiving than gloss wraps.

Last, but definitely not least? It doesnt matter how qualified the installer is, or how high of quality of material used, vinyl will never have the 'depth' of a quality paint job. Having said that, I also agree that if you are on the fence about doing a wrap, just do it! They can look like paint, and only closer inspection will reveal that they aren't.

It's been a few months now with the wrap and I absolutely love it. So glad I did a wrap. Protects the original paint from bugs and rocks. Plus got lots of compliments from fellow NSXers during TX NSX Craze. That's the true test.

If you are on the fence about doing a wrap. Go for it. Wraps have come a long way. Plus remember the installer skill, whether they pull panels or not, color selected, and the type of finish you pick will play a big role on if it looks like a wrap or paint.

Anyway. A few new pics. Holding up well. Also just wrapped the targa brace and it added a little pop to the engine bay.

3bedc1d5c047257e2ae17f82f4eb54b7.jpg

I don't know how I missed this thread before but good GAWD your car look AMAZING! This is my favorite picture hands down!! The night shots are even more stunning! I have considered it every now and then and thought about doing white but sheesh, that fiery orange is nice!! I also have to mount my stealth plate too! Simply beautiful!!

As someone who attempted to do a DIY wrap, I couldn't agree with this statement more. This is possible to DIY, but with like most things, a professional is always going to do a better job. Another thing that no one really talks about is that the end result of the color you choose can vary greatly based on the original color of your car. If you have a Berlina car, the stretch points will seem darker than the stretch points on a GPW. The areas where you have to heat it up and stretch it out will make the material slightly translucent. Another thing I learned from picking the brains of a professional is that matte wraps are much more forgiving than gloss wraps.

Last, but definitely not least? It doesnt matter how qualified the installer is, or how high of quality of material used, vinyl will never have the 'depth' of a quality paint job. Having said that, I also agree that if you are on the fence about doing a wrap, just do it! They can look like paint, and only closer inspection will reveal that they aren't.

Agree on the stretch points at the rear bumper. Its so hard to make it one piece that you do see some slight discoloration and stretching. This can be avoid if you are ok showing a seam on the bumper. That would eliminate most of the stretching and discoloration. I didn't care so told them to just make it one piece. Either way its all personal choice as with the finish you choose.

You are right on the depth of paint. But even when painting you can tell a difference between high dollar job and a cheaper one. So it really matters what you are aiming for. For the value, ease, and benefits of doing a wrap, I am more than ok with it not looking like a $8k+ paint job.

Props on trying to do a wrap yourself. I am sure I would be cursing myself within minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how I missed this thread before but good GAWD your car look AMAZING! This is my favorite picture hands down!! The night shots are even more stunning! I have considered it every now and then and thought about doing white but sheesh, that fiery orange is nice!! I also have to mount my stealth plate too! Simply beautiful!!

Thanks for the comments. I really need to get around to getting more nights shots instead of those half lit driveway pics.

You should do it. They are constantly coming out with colors and have several options in white. Here is the latest from 3M. I believe they also have an app called "Select 3M" that you use to check the colors.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/756683O/color-card-1080.pdf?fn=1080 ColurCard_2015_RZ_LowRes_sp

I was asked about the various areas where the wrap ends and seams. Door jams, trunk, hood and headlights so I took a few pics.

Myself, I have a black car so pretty much any color against that background would look good. Hence when you open the doors, hood or trunk the seam of the wrap and color transition doesn't look bad at all. The installer cut and folded the wrap around those edges to make it look very uniform. I kind of like how the black accents the orange. However, if you have a different base color you really need to brush up on your complementary/non-complementary color knowledge. It could end up being a real eye-sore and stand out a lot. Plus consider the new color against your interior.

055653f8b8b8538bc568719ac2b14778.jpg
e1784c21df986c1d46c05bab8ddb6409.jpg
aeea673abbdbdf7d01d171b16d2d1d82.jpg
e1932585223d47515802bed90da0f9da.jpg
21e29dbde3fb23eef7c05765289a7927.jpg
d26c346357371f0f69ff206e560ef0ff.jpg
402e78d5175cd9b967e41e6f100e0036.jpg
8c943f76e43640d8914c8a9ebb1874e4.jpg
26c26be5ecd6b2431018bf6ee402aa0e.jpg
4031e96c33c5f8138607688857fed555.jpg
c537dbaf481c8c9eb31eb339408e28e0.jpg
ab76c0e0d4e0fe151b635337b5e8ae81.jpg
509c26caf5ac1704b8dfdca3c070d5f5.jpg
893be5b394bdb4a1367509de2b4c96ca.jpg

Loving mine!! Been over year and a half and it still looks brand new.... ONE rock chip...tiny one.

Also, I think it depends on what color you go with as far as the stretching and slight transparency... I did a Arlon Automotive pearl white and didn't have any issues , but i have seen a yellow one that had that slight issue on the rear bumper... Done by the same wrap shop.

I don't think I'm ever going back to stock black...already have a few colors I'm thinking of doing when I get bored of my current one, but so far I'm still loving it...

how do you clean it or keep it looking fresh....?

how do you clean it or keep it looking fresh....?

I just wash it like normal car with bucket of soap water and a mit , dry it with leaf blower then use a detail spray with microfiber towel.

Sometimes I just clean it with a detail spray and microfiber towel if it's not too dirty.

You can also wax it by hand which I've only done once so far.

I just wash it like normal car with bucket of soap water and a mit , dry it with leaf blower then use a detail spray with microfiber towel.

Sometimes I just clean it with a detail spray and microfiber towel if it's not too dirty.

You can also wax it by hand which I've only done once so far.

Exactly this. Also remember at end of day the wrap is a throw away item. You can replace a section that is torn or ruined very easily and quickly.

Exactly this. Also remember at end of day the wrap is a throw away item. You can replace a section that is torn or ruined very easily and quickly.

Yep... Some fucktard keyed mine a few months ago from driver door to the taillights:mad:

I was worried that it would be hard to match up as I had to have the door and rear qtr panel re wrapped, but was amazed how flawless it came out.

Back