• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally getting my CTSC installed... and almost complete

Hi Maarten,
we have spoken a little before at one of the Nurburgring meets. The time when you were with your girlfriend at the resturaunt, 2010 maybe? I think it was the year you or someone had a clutch slave cylinder issue on the way there? I have a Midnight Purple UK targa...I think at the time RSEVO6 still had the supercharger you later bought from him? I may be wrong?

Anyway,my question is this....with our Euro unleaded being 95RON (in the UK as minimum and upto about 98 or 99 ) are you still running the standard comptech fueling unit? and is it working ok? I know US fuel is lower octane rated so our rating should safeguard against pinking or detontation but as I think the unit effectively works to over fuel, I am a little concerned with borewash because extra fuel is just dumped into the motor. I'm no expert on this....are you noticing any sooty black deposits on your bumper etc or any darker than normal exhaust gasses?? How is the fuel consumption now?

Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes, I remember you and your car, it was indeed in 2010 that we were visiting the Ringmeet in Germany :smile:

I didn't buy the CTSC from Rene (RSEvo6), but from someone else. It's the newer Autorotor unit, look very much OEM once installed.
I used to run our standard Euro95 gas before (supposed to be 95 Octane), but to get a little extra security I am using the Euro Super 98 (98 Octane) now. Am not sure if it makes much of a difference, except being more expensive, but a little added security will not hurt. After all, our engines a pretty expensive.

At this moment, I am still using the Comptech piggy-back unit for the fuel which supplies some extra power to the fuel-pump, but I am planning to get a better fuel-pump later on.
At this point, I have only driven about 300 miles with the CTSC and it is a little to early so say about fuel consumption. As you might expect, I am too often still playing and using the rush of the acceleration as boost comes on.
But for now, on my first fuel stop, I did 1;7.2 km/litre instead of the usual 1:8.1 km/litre I have done of the last year.

As for the AFR, when you are cruising at a constant speed, the AFR on the engine is exactly the same as with a normal NA NSX. That's saying the AFR will be at a more or less perfect 14.5-14.8 constantly. I have noticed this up to at least speeds as high as 150-160 kph. So I have no real worries there as the fuel/air-mixture is what is always was.
The only times you are running rich is when you are using boost, then it drops to 11.5-12.5, depending on conditions and gearing.

So, at this point, I am not really worried about borewash or something like that. I have the Zeitronix ZT2 wideband controller and I am planning to get some additional gauges to monitor some more. What I certainly will be buying is their Black Box datalogger which I can just plug into the ZT2 to log AFR-data directly to a SD-card.

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/BlackBoxDataLogger/BlackBoxDataLogger.shtml

I am planning to just drive around and accumulate some data on the behaviour of the car at different times, speeds, weather etc., just to get a feel for how everything is behaving.

At this moment, I am still using the Comptech piggy-back unit for the fuel which supplies some extra power to the fuel-pump...

The only times you are running rich is when you are using boost, then it drops to 11.5-12.5, depending on conditions and gearing.
12.5 is pretty lean under WOT for a standard CTSC low-boost setup. I'd never go higher than 12.0 under any circumstances. CT says 11.2-11.7 to be the window.

Confusion here: the piggy-back has nothing to do with supplying extra power to the fuel-pump. The voltage-booster does that. My friend confused this also but the voltage-booster is only sensing the boost-switch, it's not connected to the piggy-back which by itself tells the ECU to use different values under boost (to run richer).

I wasn't ask but my fuel economy is about the same if not slightly better as I don't have to rpm 'like an idiot' anymore and I'm even faster up to speed. No black bumpers for me for the last two years, running at 11.5-max 12.0 WOT.

12.5 is pretty lean under WOT for a standard CTSC low-boost setup. I'd never go higher than 12.0 under any circumstances. CT says 11.2-11.7 to be the window.

Confusion here: the piggy-back has nothing to do with supplying extra power to the fuel-pump. The voltage-booster does that. My friend confused this also but the voltage-booster is only sensing the boost-switch, it's not connected to the piggy-back which by itself tells the ECU to use different values under boost (to run richer).

I wasn't ask but my fuel economy is about the same if not slightly better as I don't have to rpm 'like an idiot' anymore and I'm even faster up to speed. No black bumpers for me for the last two years, running at 11.5-max 12.0 WOT.

Hi Thomas,

This week it is very cold outside and I have also been driving the car with a bit of rain coming down. I have noticed that this has an effect on the AFR as displayed on the Zeitronix display. That's when I noticed that the AFR did not go as low as the first week when I had the car.
I guess it is because of the low temperatures, the air is denser and therefore the AFR leans out a bit more. And if any water vapor gets into the engine or intake manifold, it will have a cooling effect as well I think.
Unfortunaly, I have no idea if this condition is also true on a standard NSX.
It is one of the reasons I plan to mount a intake temperature sensor as well in the near future :)
For now, I have just ordered the Zeitronix Datalogger which will write a logfile onto a SD-card directly without the need for a laptop. You can then read and analyse the results on a PC/Laptop anytime you like.

Hi Maarten,

It could be that the AFR measurement variies with the weather conditions OR the AFR actually IS leaning out. I for myself did my tests in all possible circumsstances (hot, cold, longer high load and so on) and made sure that it's not only perfect in one of these conditions but that it never goes higher than 12.0 in the leanest scenario but don't ask me which it was. This also means that it can be a little bit rich in one of there circumstances but even then: before the tuning I started with AFR = 10:1, so it's still better if I'm at 11:1 in the 'worst' scenario.
The Autorotor is said to be a little bit more sensitive to temps than the Lysholm I have, i.e. it delivers more boost at lower temps. Years ago (or before the Turbo area) there has been a discussion about this.

Hi Maarten,

It could be that the AFR measurement variies with the weather conditions OR the AFR actually IS leaning out. I for myself did my tests in all possible circumsstances (hot, cold, longer high load and so on) and made sure that it's not only perfect in one of these conditions but that it never goes higher than 12.0 in the leanest scenario but don't ask me which it was. This also means that it can be a little bit rich in one of there circumstances but even then: before the tuning I started with AFR = 10:1, so it's still better if I'm at 11:1 in the 'worst' scenario.
The Autorotor is said to be a little bit more sensitive to temps than the Lysholm I have, i.e. it delivers more boost at lower temps. Years ago (or before the Turbo area) there has been a discussion about this.

Good info, Thanks :)

I hope to get the Data logger ( http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/BlackBoxDataLogger/BlackBoxDataLogger.shtml ) tomorrow or Thursday.
In this cold weather (and with semi-slicks) I am still taking it very easy.
I did notice today that in the my parking (where it is a little warmer) the car immediately goes to AFR 11.1-11.6 at WOT when not loaded (and with a warm engine). So there seem to be some differences.
Don't worry btw, if the car still leans out too much at higher temps, I am most certainly going to adjust the CTSC for more fuel. It is only a little work. :smile:

EDIT: The NSX IS an enormous amount of fun though, even now driving easy and slow.... :biggrin: :biggrin:
VERY addictive...

Last edited:
Good info, Thanks :)

I hope to get the Data logger ( http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/BlackBoxDataLogger/BlackBoxDataLogger.shtml ) tomorrow or Thursday.
In this cold weather (and with semi-slicks) I am still taking it very easy.
I did notice today that in the my parking (where it is a little warmer) the car immediately goes to AFR 11.1-11.6 at WOT when not loaded (and with a warm engine). So there seem to be some differences.
Don't worry btw, if the car still leans out too much at higher temps, I am most certainly going to adjust the CTSC for more fuel. It is only a little work. :smile:

EDIT: The NSX IS an enormous amount of fun though, even now driving easy and slow.... :biggrin: :biggrin:
VERY addictive...
Marteen,

Congrats again. I also use the Zeitronix setup. If you're looking for an IAT sensor they do not have any for sale that will screw into one of the available NPT ports on your CT intake manifold (the one they sell is too big). I forgot where I posted the info but I found one vendor in Texas that sold the right size GM sensor that works perfectly for our application. I swear by my IAT sensor. It's been a great tool.

If you search for my Meth CTSC thread the info is buried in there somewhere.

I've got 2 pulleys for sale ;)

Hi Batman

:biggrin: I do have the high-boost pulley, I assume you have that one too.
But what is your second pulley for ???

Marteen,

Congrats again. I also use the Zeitronix setup. If you're looking for an IAT sensor they do not have any for sale that will screw into one of the available NPT ports on your CT intake manifold (the one they sell is too big). I forgot where I posted the info but I found one vendor in Texas that sold the right size GM sensor that works perfectly for our application. I swear by my IAT sensor. It's been a great tool.

If you search for my Meth CTSC thread the info is buried in there somewhere.

Hi Ryu,

Thanks for the info. I was already looking into the sensors Zeitronix is selling. Good to know theirs won't fit. Where exactly do you attach it to the housing.
Is it somewhere underneath??
I will look for your thread to get the info. Am still planning to make/build a insulating gasket to reduce the heatsoak.

since my compression ratio was lowered a full point no one seemed to know what the correct pulley size was so i ended up with 2 extra pulley from trial.

one is the 4" and the other is a .38" if i remembered correctly. it's posted in the for sale section. I don't think i can link here.

Hi Batman

:biggrin: I do have the high-boost pulley, I assume you have that one too.
But what is your second pulley for ???

Hi Ryu,

Thanks for the info. I was already looking into the sensors Zeitronix is selling. Good to know theirs won't fit. Where exactly do you attach it to the housing.
Is it somewhere underneath??
I will look for your thread to get the info. Am still planning to make/build a insulating gasket to reduce the heatsoak.
This should help with all of your questions here
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-Intake-Air-Temp-Sensor?p=1532596#post1532596

Back