• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

First Oil Change ?

Check the manual. It's specific about NOT changing it before 3750 miles(double check, I'm pulling from memory). I just changed mine for the first time last month. I went with Mobil 1, in the 10-30 weight called for. I bought my filter at the Acura dealer, as recommended by most here.

------------------
01' NSX-T Silverstone
02' Chevy Avalanche 1500
00' Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300
02' Honda VTX-1800

Originally posted by JohnC:
Check the manual. It's specific about NOT changing it before 3750 miles(double check, I'm pulling from memory). I just changed mine for the first time last month. I went with Mobil 1, in the 10-30 weight called for. I bought my filter at the Acura dealer, as recommended by most here.

i agree, you can learn a lot about your car by reading. starting with the owners manual and then with the FAQ and Forums on this site. you'll end up knowing more than your acura mechanic, like most of the veteran members of this site.

------------------
Xane Ze

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR OIL UNTIL AT LEAST 7,500 MILES!

Posted on the NSX list on 03/17/2000 by woodwork.

<< it is normal for a high performance car like the nsx to eat oil?
2000 miles since my last oil change of Mobil 1 10W 30....
it ate a quart. >>

Keep in mind guys that Mobil 1 has been blamed for not letting the rings seat on
a new engine. We have proved it several times. That is why I, when on my soap
box, I say to let the break-in oil do it's job for at least 7,500 miles.

Most factory reps will say anything over 1000 miles per quart is not excessive.

Please don't change the oil till 7,500 miles.

Woodwork

I've heard a lot about not doing the first change until at least 3k miles. Apparently it's best to let the oil pick up whatever contaminates are produced by a new motor.

Also, about not using Mobil 1, what is the exact reason (in laymans terms please)?

Larry

There's nothing wrong with Mobil 1. The key point above is that the engine comes from the factory with special break-in oil, containing certain additives that let the rings seat etc. So you're not supposed to do your first oil change for 7500 miles. Once you DO start changing oil, Mobil 1 is fine.

Yes it has a break-in oil, but 7,500 miles is TOO long. RTFM. First oil change is at 3,750 miles or 6 months.

Woodwork is the factory's "Techline" service for the NSX, the person the dealer service departments call if they can't figure out a problem. I follow his advice.

Back