• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Flowmaster Exhaust installed (Clip)

After reading up about flowmaster mufflers on the NSX, I decided to give it a try. Its a great alternative for anyone who wants to save a few hundred bucks and have a nice sound better than stock as well. So I took the plunge and dared into a territory that I never thought I would enter and that is...................installing a very cheap American muffler on a high end import Japanese car. SOMEBODY CALL THE EXHAUST POLICE AND ARREST ME NOW!!!

So I ordered the muffler from Summit Racing and had it overnighted bc I have ZERO patience whatsoever to wait for anything especially with the weekend upon me. Anyways, I brought my car to the NSX exhaust experts "Meineke" (Hence the sarcasm) and had George Foreman himself fabricate an exhaust using the Flowmaster muffler with my request of retaining my OEM tips.

The mechanics had NO idea what they were working with. As soon as the lifted my car up, they all began heading NORTHBOUND!!! Until I kindly pointed out to them that my car is MID ENGINED, so they brushed it off like, yeah we knew that, we were just checking out something else. Something else?? As if I requested any other work to be done to my car.

So after a cup of coffee and a sandwich and about 3 1/2 hours past and the exhaust was done. The tips arent in the exact OEM position but close enough, enough that I wont bitch about it. As soon as they cranked over the engine, I was kind of dissapointed. I was expecting louder.....until I left the joint and headed for the highway. Once the rpm's go above 3500 the mufflers tone changes from a low grumble to a nice exotic pitch. In the vid u really cant tell. Next time Ill have a friend record me while Im driving. So all in all, Im happy with this exhaust. Its easy on my ears and doesnt drone at ALL. I can still enjoy my radio and not have to listen to an echoing drone that ruins the cabin comfortness. Now that I think about it, Im really happy with the outcome. I saved myself a few hundred bucks with this cheap muffler and got a nice sound with it. So here is the total damage from start to finish:

1- Flowmaster Muffler $106
2- Fedex Next day Shipping $23
3- Meineke Labor and custom piping $375
--------------------------------------------
Grand total: $504

and add $5 for my coffee and sandwich during the installation :)

And special thanks to Mike Lasko over at Bridgewater Acura (Best of luck with my G35) :p

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MMLjeBdD47Y"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MMLjeBdD47Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q8q73oH6_io"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q8q73oH6_io" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Sounds very nice. I wouldn't trust meineke tho if i were you especially with a high end car like the nsx. I would have got it done at a more reputable shop that actually specialized in exhaust installation. *shrugs

Did you check the welds for leaks? had a bad experience with them once on a daily vehicle, but thats that.

cant wait for the vids. :)

Well I had no choice with the piping. As soon as they cutoff the old pipes, they tossed it into their dumpster!!! I was like ok, so much for that! Does the muffler get louder over time?

It does seem like yours is quieter than mine, I don't really remember if mine "broke in" or anything. I guess only time will tell.

hmm, is there anyway u can post another vid of ur car. I dunno if my car is quieter than yours bc mine is an NA2. I know our headers are different and maybe the cats as well. Who knows?:confused:

I love my Flowmaster! I felt like it did eventually get louder. Makes the NSX sound like a beast!

Does yours sound anything similar to mine? I hope the mechanic didnt place my muffler backwards bc there is an INLET and OUTLET marking on the muffler.

I love my flowmaster as well. The tone does change up in the higher RPM's. I have heard and read about the flowmaster muffler on here before, but hesitated to make the jump. That was until I ran into an NSX'er here in Oxnard that I had never seen before. I loved how his exhaust sounded, so I followed him and had a chat. Turned out he had a flowmaster installed. Next day I went to the same shop, $300 out the door, install + muffler.

Glad to hear these Flowmasters sound good on the NSX!!
I've got one on my '86 Porsche 911, and it sounds somewhat similar to your sound clip above. A mechanical growl at startup, then builds to a raspy mechanical shriek above 4K rpm. I love mine, and was $200 out the door installed.

thanks for the vid
Let's hear it during a drive by

Dont get me wrong, I am sure they sound good. But, what are the performance gains from a flow master setup? That is something important to know.

Nathan

Boy, I just worry about the quality of the bends, welds, exhaust flow, etc. I just can't imagine letting some Meineke dude make an exhaust for any of my cars. I just think quality costs money and owning an NSX is about maintaining the car with quality parts.

I personally would discount a car with a "homemade" exhaust from a muffler shop. I would have also been pretty upset that they cut up the factory pipes. I guess that is why I had to go with a muffler designed specifically for the NSX - fit, finish and sound are perfect. JMHO

i'm in CT i'm thinking of doing this next week. i wonder if meineke can order it so i can just drop the car there and have it done.

Meineke is an Authorized Flowmaster Dealer. They can get you the muffler within a day

Boy, I just worry about the quality of the bends, welds, exhaust flow, etc. I just can't imagine letting some Meineke dude make an exhaust for any of my cars. I just think quality costs money and owning an NSX is about maintaining the car with quality parts.

I personally would discount a car with a "homemade" exhaust from a muffler shop. I would have also been pretty upset that they cut up the factory pipes. I guess that is why I had to go with a muffler designed specifically for the NSX - fit, finish and sound are perfect. JMHO

Well, I look at it this way. You pay for what u get obviously. But to me all I wanted was a lil more sound then stock which was exactly what I got. Was the workmanship high quality? Certainly not, however I babysat my car while they worked on it and they showed me exactly what they were and were trying to do to make things work. I told them to follow the curvature of the OEM pipes and thats what they did, so no fitment problems here. The biggest task was me deciding whether or not I wanted the FLowmaster muffler to be tilted on an angle like the OEM so u can see it through the diffuser or have it flush up against the trunk heat shield. I opted for it to be hidden bc the muffler is nothing great to look at. So from the outsiders view, all they see are the exhaust tips which is fine by me. Another difficult task as mentioned earlier was lining up the Tips. I would recommend taking as many pics and measurements of your Factory setup prior to installation. It really takes out all the guesswork and wasted time for labor charges

Pictures please of underneath.
As many as possible please.
Thanks
My Flowmaster is in my garage waiting for Carl to get some time to do it.
Trev

Pictures please of underneath.
As many as possible please.
Thanks
My Flowmaster is in my garage waiting for Carl to get some time to do it.
Trev

Sorry, I have no pics of it. If u do a search u will find pics, however every muffler shop will have their own way of doing it. Its up to you on how you want it. Be careful that u do not install the muffler backwards, the muffler labels the INLET and OUTLET.

The OUTLET faces the Front of the car and INLET faces the rear. Just a quick heads up bc meineke almost put it on backwards. Good thing I noticed b4 it was too late. Keep in mind that I duplicated the OEM setup

Last edited:
Echelon, i just realized that your from the nyc area. i'm assigned to straightline collision for the next few months. if your familiar with that area, maybe on one friday lunch break we can meet up and i can hear your exhaust. or to make it more convient we could meet up at the next north east gathering.

Back