• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For all the 91-93 black NSX owners....

Faded paint...... it drives me absoultely CRAZY! i'm so picky about the appearance of my car.... but since its a 91, you can see that the paint is faded in direct sun light... how have you guys fixed this (other than repainting the car)

Thanks -Electro

Hey E
Try Meguairs quik clay, then fine cut cleaner, followed buy some swirl remover then use gold class wax. All Meguairs! After using the swirl remover if its still faded try more fine cut again. Then more swirl remover. Becareful not to over do it but the fine cut cleaner should take off the dead oxidized paint. If after doing all that and it still looks bad, then maybe you might want to consider a new paint job. But the good thing is use can use your swirl remover and wax on the fresh paint so its not like you'd buy all that and just waste it. Ya know? One other thing you should get Quik Detailer that stuff is perfect for removing, dust, finger prints, bugs, tree sap, bird sheee..., and drool!

nsxpark1.jpg

91 10,000 miles, never driven in the rain, snow, or even on a windy day!

note the quik detailer chilling, its like american express, I never leave home with out it!

[This message has been edited by PUREVIL (edited 23 February 2001).]

The principles are the same with other brands. You've got to use something to remove the oxidation (such as Zymol's HD-Cleanse) followed by a wax (such as Zymol's NSX wax) to add gloss and protection. Try this first.

If that doesn't work, you can try something a bit more aggressive, like very fine rubbing compound. I wouldn't consider re-painting except as a last resort if everything else failed.

BTW Purevil, looks like your NSX lives in "the land of trucks and trains"...
smile.gif

I also haven't experienced any fading.... The factory clear coat on NSXs is VERY thick. I took out a light scratch once and discovered this immediately. Mine is a black 91 and looks better than the new cars in my showroom...
bchfr1.jpg

------------------
Todd Arnold
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

[This message has been edited by Nsxotic (edited 23 February 2001).]

Ok, I have a question. My '91 has a WHOLE ton of fine scratches all over the car that just wont come out. I wash and wax the car religiously and have tried almost all of Meguier's line of products to no avail.

The Swirl remover didnt do squat for my paint job, and using the HD cleaner wax didnt do much either. I went through the Swirl Remover/Cleaner/Step #2 Polish and the Step #3 Carnauba Wax and STILL the fine scratches dont go away.

I've seen pictures of some of your guys' cars and they look BEAUTIFUL!! What do I have to do to get mine to look like that? (On a side note I use an Orbital buffer to wax the car). The only thing I can think of is to use a Circular Buffer...which scares me, as I dont want to burn paint off of any part of my car.

ZAINO, ZAINO, ZAINO, ZAINO, ZAINO!!!!!!!!

If it doesn't do the trick nothing well. Zaino hasn't spread through this forum yet, but it has in some others. When I still owned a vette and I was a regular on the vetteforum, we SWORE by that stuff. I just bought my new white NSX, so I don't know how shiny white can get, but ZAINO will be my first order of business this weekend once the rain stops.
If you have serious scratches, then no polish or remover can help you, only new paint.
Once I Zaino my white car I'll post some pics. Once you see how glorious even a white car looks with that stuff, it may gain some popularity here. I'm not as bad as some of the people. They swear by that stuff like it's their religion.

Originally posted by Edo:
Ok, I have a question. My '91 has a WHOLE ton of fine scratches all over the car that just wont come out. I wash and wax the car religiously and have tried almost all of Meguier's line of products to no avail.

I am having my car buffed in the detail shop then wash with Dawn detergent then apply all the Zaino I can put on. Just to put it in perspective, I have spent over $400 on Zaino products, Clay bar, Z1, Z2, Z6, glass cleaner, tire gloss, swirl remover etc.

Once the car is buffed and Zaino is applied correctly (I didn't use Dawn detergent to remove all polish the first time), I hope my car would look great, otherwise, I am out of ideas to make it super shining.

Also you have to use good towels to prevent scratches from going on the car.

ilya

Front spoiler is made by Wings West. www.wingswest.com or try www.impactparts.com

Edo
Every car has fine scratches or swirl marks, even cars out of the paint booth have them. New cars too. Espcailly if its a solid color car, like black, white, red. Metallics hide them really well. But with out looking at your car in person its tough to say if yours are normal or abnormal.

Originally posted by ilya:
ZAINO, ZAINO, ZAINO, ZAINO, ZAINO!!!!!!!!

I have been using Zaino for a year now. It produces the best finish that I have ever seen. It goes on very easily, and comes off even easier! The proof can be seen on my photopoint album. The link is on the "pictures" part of this site.

It is also important to remember that film and digital pictures don't pick up all of those fine swirls and scratches that are seen with the naked eye.

Absolutely ZAINO!!!!

I have a black 1991 NSX and it worked wonders!!!

Be sure to follow the simple directions and tips on the Zaino web site.

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

Can someone explain to me the differences between a Polish and a Wax? I've always used Meguairs wax for my cars and I've assumed polishes were more abrashive than waxes thus being able to give the cars the "deep gloss" look that polishes seem to advertise.

I have gotten absolutely terrific results using the Zymol line of products. They are simply fantastic. Their HD-Cleanse removes oxidation and fine scratches, and their waxes produce a level of gloss and depth that I've never seen in any other products.

Regarding the differences between a wax and a polish...

I think David pretty much covered it in general...but...

Zaino is different. I don't know the chemistry or physics involved, but although Sal Zaino calls his product a polish, it does not have any abrasives in it. It also doesn't have any silicones in it as well.

I must admit to being a bit mystified on how it works. I understand how conventional polishes and waxes do their thing but Zaino appears to be much different.

When I applied it for the first time I didn't have high expectations. I followed the directions to a "T" for a first time application. I washed it with Dawn, washed it again with the excellent, excellent Z-7 wash, did the soapy (Z-7) wet clay bar treatment, applied the Z-1, followed by Z-5...

Anyway, my point is that I hardly rubbed at all, I used (as recommended) such a sparse amount that I could barely see it as I was applying it. I'm thinking...this is a sham...It's not going to work and I'm going to have to use some other wax or polish.

I almost bailed out in the middle of the process. Not that it took that long or anything, it's just that I felt this can't possibly do the trick.

Fortunately, I followed through with the Z-5 and I could hardly believe it. I rubbed off that slightest bit of haze and it was truly amazing.

My 1991 had been neglected by its prior owner and it really came back to life.

My local Zaino distributor said to give it several treatments with the Z-5 before switching over to the Z-2. It worked. It got out the fine scratches and haze. I now use Z-2 and their Z-6 spritzer gloss-enhancer.

A point to keep in mind. This multi-step process sounds time consuming and tiring. It's not. You don't really rub at all. Be sure to use all items sparingly. It takes me no longer than 15 minutes to do an application of Z-2.

Just remember...

Follow the Application guidelines...
Read the FAQ document on the Zaino web site...
Use the product sparingly....

Best of luck,
Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

Any idea where I can get Zaino stuff in the UK (or alternatively, a US supplier which takes credit cards and will ship to the UK) ?

I've tried a few web searches and looking around but can't seem to find anyone...

Thanks,
Hugo

Originally posted by altman:
Any idea where I can get Zaino stuff in the UK (or alternatively, a US supplier which takes credit cards and will ship to the UK) ?

Hi Altman,

I live in Switzerland and I ordered ALL the Zaino stuff from http://www.zainobros.com

My order arrived within week since the moment Sal did receive my money order.

I will stay with Zaino products forever.

Back