• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For DIY - What Clear & Paint Remover to Use on FRP?

Just inquiring if this is practical in terms of cost/time/effort as a DIY - what solvent or other materials (sanding I assume) would you use to remove clear and paint (in my case berlina black) from FRP spoiler/lip (it is the GT style)? Can you prep enough to go back to the base for a matte finish assuming you will use spray paint can :tongue:

The matte black finish seems to be better suited than the painted option; the rock chips and cracks in the paint from mild stress are becoming a bit annoying even though plenty flex was added to the paint. At $175 new, perhaps it is cheaper to get a new one than venture into this labor.

TIA.

Did some paint splash onto your car? or are you trying to strip the factory finish??

If trying to strip it, just sand the heck out of it till you break through.

If trying to get some gunk off I'd try 3M Adhesive Remover.

Josh

Thanks for the response. Sanding is the need in here. Any particular grade to start with? I am guessing at least 400 - enough to clear all the rock chips?

Your guess is as good as mine, are you wanting to take it all the way down past the primer?

Just remember many of the spoilers, bumpers and such are not metal so you may actually sand into the material (fiberglass, plastic, CF or what have you) and could inadvertently damage the material.

Personally for that type of work, I would not be asking a forum who do not specialize in that type of work, I would call a local custom paint shop and pick they're brain for the correct responses to what you're wanting to do.

Josh

Back