• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For Sale Thread Price Removed After Sold

What I'm asking for is that the item leave the most recent "asking" price visible, even after it's sold.
I wish it could be done. I always refuse to delete a price after I lock a thread but if the seller deletes if before the item is reported as sold there is not much that can be done...
As been stated earlier (in this thread or another?), please "report" the thread by clicking the (!) at the bottom-left of the post and provide some general info (ie. seller deleted price/pics/info/etc). The edits and changes made to the thread can be reverted by a forum moderator when they have the time to look into it.

Reference:

Last edited by Osiris_x11; 06-03-2014 at 09:30.

(the hyper-text above permits a forum moderator to go through edit history and make applicable changes)

Last edited:
What do you propose be done about it? Lock all posts from editing? Browse through and see how many have been edited. Now you need a team of moderators to make those edits for people and a system to organize it. Is that feasible? Do you have another workable idea?

Lud, less policing that you think is needed. It's done right now simply because there is no rule against it. And frankly, one guy sees it done so for no reason he does it as well. I myself did it a few times thinking this is correct etiquette when I was more of a newb back in the dark ages.

I think if you simply make a rule: don't do this, people will start to abide by it. If there is a habitual offender, they can be asked to simply edit and post the price again by another member. Anyone doing a search and sees "sold" instead of a price or description can just shoot the guy a PM and say "hey would you mind kindly putting the asking price back? The rule is you are supposed to leave it". I guarantee you overall, 99% of people would comply. No one wants to break rules. For that 1% that wants to consistently take matters into their own hands knowing full well this is against prime rules, deal with them how you deal with any other rule breaker.

The point I am getting to is that t should be a clearly stated rule first. As long as it isn't, it will just continue. We also aren't asking for the negotiated deal price, just the original asking price. No one is trying to get into the specifics of someone else's business. We just want to have a ballpark idea, that's all. I think that's a fair thing to want to see since it was public info to begin with.

Last edited:
How about not allowing edits of any for sale thread posts? Then just allow weekly bumping of the for sale thread for updated pricing. That would essentially retain all price history. The monthly bump rule is a little long IMO. People looking for stuff in the classifieds watch the threads like hawks so what's the point of the monthly bump rule anyways?

Weekly bumps for price reduction won't work. Members would just reduce price by a dollar and abuse the bump rule

Last edited:
Weekly bumps for price reduction won't work. Members would just reduce price by a dollar and abuse the bump rule

Yeah. I don't think we should disable edits. We have a 30 day rule and most people comply right? Lets just make a "leave the price rule" and once everyone is aware of it I am sure we will see a high rate of compliance. The hurdle is just making everyone aware.

thinking that the noncompliance rate is only 1% is fantasy......but if someone was motivated they could create and update a thread listing all the for sale cars and the asking price with drops till it sells ....kinda like we have a wiki champ/Ben for worldwide sales...ect....

thinking that the noncompliance rate is only 1% is fantasy......but if someone was motivated they could create and update a thread listing all the for sale cars and the asking price with drops till it sells ....kinda like we have a wiki champ/Ben for worldwide sales...ect....

That's something else entirely. What is m suggesting requires little to no extra work. I am not sure why you think most people would not comply with a rule. We aren't asking for anyone's first born here. Just simple courtesy. Right now there is no rule. As I said, even a browser can send a friendly pm to someone that forgot and ask "can you edit back with the price per the prime rule". But at least then he has an actual rule to back him up and not just be asking for a favor.

- - - Updated - - -

In time most people will comply. Who wants to look like a rule breaker and a jerk to everyone else?

in the short 2 months i owned prime I can assure you many humans don't bother with rules.

So doc, what is your suggestion since you don't like my solution which I think is perfectly viable like any other rule on prime? That we do nothing and let this annoying and counterproductive trend continue?

Just "report" (!) the thread that has the deleted/omitted information (ie. price/pics/info) and a forum moderator will re-edit the thread to include the price and such.

What's so difficult about that... :confused:

Just "report" (!) the thread that has the deleted/omitted information (ie. price/pics/info) and a forum moderator will re-edit the thread to include the price and such.

What's so difficult about that... :confused:

How do you restore a thread to a pre-edit form?

What have I been missing all these years.....

Or just ask the poster to edit the price back in. How do you handle anyone else that doesn't comply with forum rules? So this is no different.

good to see Lud post something Hi Lud..... :wink:

I agree weekly bump is the worst idea, if 30 days is to long then post it on Craigslist or ebay. don't like the rules don't play the game.

but i think once a for sale thread is made you cant edit it, and can only post sold on a new post, problem solved. it still gets me why delete everything in the original post makes no sense
I leave all mine up with price etc. I don't even post a new " Sold post ", because I prob have another one anyway

Shawn thats a problem because if you can't edit, and you have to reply, you are essentially bumping your post. You want to add a pic after 5 days? you just bumped your post. It doesn't work.

I think everyone is making this way too complicated. All I am asking is the implementation of a rule. With a sticky or a reminder than as of now, you must leave the price and description on. No editing it all to "sold". That's it. Just implement a new rule and if there is an offender we can send them a reminder. The members. If they don't comply, you contact Bob the Chief of Police. If they don't comply still, they get booted. That's why a forum has rules. I simply don't get why we expect people to comply with every other rule, but are so afraid of this one "not working".

Thanks to a helpful tutorial I have started putting the deleted prices back in.

If you see a thread that has a price deleted, just report it and the pricing info will be restored.

No need for rule changes, etc.

Report and done.

Bob thats great but don't you think a rule is good so people don't do it to begin with? Right now many people are probably not even aware they are supposed to leave the price. Why create a ton of extra work? Why not have a sticky or window that says starting today, you must leave the description and asking price?

Bob thats great but don't you think a rule is good so people don't do it to begin with? Right now many people are probably not even aware they are supposed to leave the price. Why create a ton of extra work? Why not have a sticky or window that says starting today, you must leave the description and asking price?

Because there will always be rule breakers no matter whether there is a sticky or other reminder.

There was a time that Off Topic was out of control despite rules being clearly posted. Lud asked me if I would volunteer to be a mod for that forum. I aggressively deleted inappropriate threads and posts and over time the major rule breakers stopped and newbies did not take their place. I think I have moderated that forum only 3 or 4 times in the past year now when it would be a daily occurrence in the beginning.

I have already restored about a half dozen threads that were reported this morning and I believe "word will spread" and ultimately this, too, shall be a non-issue.

Just like in prison, take out the biggest guy on day one and the rest fall into line........

Ok well whatever works. I care less about how than the end result. But don't you want to at least tell people they should leave the price? You do know lots of people won't even see this thread right?

Awesome. Thanks Bob and Lud!

Thanks Prime Moderators for listening to us and making this change. It will definitely help us make better pricing decisions and also hopefully help us stay fair in our pricing and sales.

Excellent choice of moderating for sale ads!

Much appreciated.

Back