• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For those of you who have ducted hoods...

Hello all, I'm thinking of purchasing a Seibon type r hood and would like some opinions. For those who have this hood, how is the fitment and quality? Also, I've read some things on ducted hoods and it seems some people start having trouble with their a/c not cooling as well as it used to after installation. Has anyone experienced this with any ducted hood and if so, is there a remedy? Thanks in advance for any input!

You are welcome to come see my VIS hood in Madison, NC or at Cars and Coffee Greensboro on the 16th.
We could then drive over to the NSX gathering in Raleigh.
I have had no issues with cooling or AC.

AC condensors are set off to each side so a hood of anykind will not affect AC cooling. Aftermarket hoods are all a gamble. My VIS fits quite well. Alot has to do with installation.

Thanks guys! Tomcat, I will probably take you up on your offer providing I can get off of work on one of those dates. I work in GBO, so that may be the best bet to check out your hood. How is the fitment?

Have the VIS Racing CF hood. I had a body shop expert fit it and paint it (left the CF exposed around the duct, painted the rest red to match the body of the car). It fit very well but needed a minute bit of sanding at the extreme right where the hood "point" comes close to the windshield. Double check if the Seibon hood comes with the washer nozzle holes pre-drilled...otherwise you could be in for an adventure.

ducted carbon hood

Thanks to everyone for your advice! This will help me greatly in narrowing down my options.

Thanks guys! Tomcat, I will probably take you up on your offer providing I can get off of work on one of those dates. I work in GBO, so that may be the best bet to check out your hood. How is the fitment?

My paint/body guy said fitment was very good for aftermarket. I now notice (after a year of scrutiny) that the "arc" of the hood (front to back) is not perfect with the arc of the fenders but its darn close...and I frankly don't recall how the factory original fit.

As cool as these hoods are, they are not 100% functional without a proper duct directing hot air up and out. Yet these seem to be harder to find nowadays. I bought mine years ago from Dali and must say, if you have the hood, shallow or deep, you need this to complete the package. We all can't afford Procars piece of art.:frown: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ls-Carbon-Fiber-NSX-R-Replica-Hood-Duct-(LHD)
Hopefully someone will step up.

I want a deep scoop for an OEM look and I've taken my spare out to save some weight and give me more leeway for a factory looking hood. Is Taitec the way to go or should I be looking for other options?

Last edited:
Hello all, I'm thinking of purchasing a Seibon type r hood and would like some opinions. For those who have this hood, how is the fitment and quality? Also, I've read some things on ducted hoods and it seems some people start having trouble with their a/c not cooling as well as it used to after installation. Has anyone experienced this with any ducted hood and if so, is there a remedy? Thanks in advance for any input!

I purchased the seibon type-r hood in 2013 and actually noticed a 1/10 bar temp drop without the radiator duct (don't have it made yet). I have noticed not cooling issues with the hood as far as AC is concerned. Just took it on a 200 mile adventure this weekend with some autocross thrown in. AC froze me and my buddy out of the car on a 98 degree day with 100% humidity.

Fitment is a 9-10. Installed myself, was actually quite easy. very minimal but barely noticeable. looks very good. has a high quality and deep UV clearcoat.

Also, if you want to reinstall your washer nozzles and hoses (mine stopped working so I left it off) you will have to drill and plumb your own holes for the hoses. Also the little holes for the spray nozzles will have to be dremeled out to reassemble.

Cheers!

As cool as these hoods are, they are not 100% functional without a proper duct directing hot air up and out. Yet these seem to be harder to find nowadays. I bought mine years ago from Dali and must say, if you have the hood, shallow or deep, you need this to complete the package. We all can't afford Procars piece of art.:frown: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ls-Carbon-Fiber-NSX-R-Replica-Hood-Duct-(LHD)
Hopefully someone will step up.

Considering the amount of owners with ducted hoods, I'm surprised that a proper duct hasn't remained commercially viable for left hand drive NSXs. I know DF made one, there's a few guys here that have made their own, thieving Dali made one, and I think SOS made one as well (don't remember if it was left hand specific).

Considering the amount of owners with ducted hoods, I'm surprised that a proper duct hasn't remained commercially viable for left hand drive NSXs. I know DF made one, there's a few guys here that have made their own, thieving Dali made one, and I think SOS made one as well (don't remember if it was left hand specific).

I believe Adnan of AS Motorsport may be able to help with LHD ducts.

I have had my Dali for many years. Not a bad fit. On another note, maybe Tim {flag2poleracing} will see these posts and determine his next project.:wink:

I have had my Dali for many years. Not a bad fit. On another note, maybe Tim {flag2poleracing} will see these posts and determine his next project.:wink:

Yes please, Tim! I'm sure plenty of people would pony up for a good quality hood/duct!

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a pretty good line on a quality downforce hood from a member here where fitment appears to be a 9/10, but shipping may kill the deal. It is in California and I'm in North Carolina. Any estimates on what shipping costs may be?

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a line on a downforce hood from a member on here that appears to have pretty good fitment. The deal is good but shipping may kill it. The hood is in California and I'm in North Carolina. Anyone have any guess as to what shipping costs I'm looking at?

Yes please, Tim! I'm sure plenty of people would pony up for a good quality hood/duct!

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a pretty good line on a quality downforce hood from a member here where fitment appears to be a 9/10, but shipping may kill the deal. It is in California and I'm in North Carolina. Any estimates on what shipping costs may be?

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a line on a downforce hood from a member on here that appears to have pretty good fitment. The deal is good but shipping may kill it. The hood is in California and I'm in North Carolina. Anyone have any guess as to what shipping costs I'm looking at?

You will need the dimensions of the box, the weight of the box, the zipcodes from and to. They will give the estimated cost over the phone. USPS will not take it due to the size, but UPS will.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Shipping to NC is expensive...I got my hood on a pallet with the replacement front clip (avoiding shipping separately).
Are you coming to Cars and Coffee on Sat. 16 May? Are you attending Mini-Expo also? A few of us may drive over together to Raleigh after C&C.

I do a lot of shipping. If boxed in that size about $100 or less. I just shipped between those two states. Downforce made 2 hoods a gen 1 and a gen 2. The latter is a perfect fit, it's an exact replica of a real R hood it was made of. Fitment is not your only issue, longevity is important and some hoods change shape and discolor over seasons of cold and hot. If you speak with Peter at downforce which is though but valuable he can explain to you the differences in resins and build process. I can tell you having owned many downforce parts the quality is very good. If you contact Thomas@downforceusa dot com, he will work with you and get you a great deal and he will stand behind the product. If you buy used, make sure you know which you are buying but it will be tough as the only thing different between the two gens is fit. And I've seen gen 1's silently sold as "downfroce". In some cases the owner too may be unaware.

The AC issue is a legit issue but totally not what you think. If the car is a targa, with a ducted hood and accompanying duct (which downforce also makes a good one just buy the FRP version because it's hardly seen).... They are so efficient together in design they change the airflow around the car. You get a lot more downforce at speed, and if you have the targa off and are putzing around town, hot air comes through the duct, over the windshield, and into the car making your AC less effective. Not useless, just not as effective. Remember the duct was designed for the NSXR which is a coupe. You can PM me if I can be of further help and good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my hood after 6 seasons of hot and cold through New England winters. Still looks like new and fits like my OEM. On it are also some super low profile latches that I recommend with any composite hood. Also you can get the downforce in FRP, half carbon and half FRP, and full carbon on carbon. And the prices vary.

15486295163_c0c12085dc_k_zps2c4d65b3.jpg

If you run a vented hood and park in the sun a lot, you might want to put some wrist sweatband/covers over the plastic reservoirs that are exposed. They are known to deteriorate quicker.

I do a lot of shipping. If boxed in that size about $100 or less. I just shipped between those two states. Downforce made 2 hoods a gen 1 and a gen 2. The latter is a perfect fit, it's an exact replica of a real R hood it was made of. Fitment is not your only issue, longevity is important and some hoods change shape and discolor over seasons of cold and hot. If you speak with Peter at downforce which is though but valuable he can explain to you the differences in resins and build process. I can tell you having owned many downforce parts the quality is very good. If you contact Thomas@downforceusa dot com, he will work with you and get you a great deal and he will stand behind the product. If you buy used, make sure you know which you are buying but it will be tough as the only thing different between the two gens is fit. And I've seen gen 1's silently sold as "downfroce". In some cases the owner too may be unaware.

The AC issue is a legit issue but totally not what you think. If the car is a targa, with a ducted hood and accompanying duct (which downforce also makes a good one just buy the FRP version because it's hardly seen).... They are so efficient together in design they change the airflow around the car. You get a lot more downforce at speed, and if you have the targa off and are putzing around town, hot air comes through the duct, over the windshield, and into the car making your AC less effective. Not useless, just not as effective. Remember the duct was designed for the NSXR which is a coupe. You can PM me if I can be of further help and good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my hood after 6 seasons of hot and cold through New England winters. Still looks like new and fits like my OEM. On it are also some super low profile latches that I recommend with any composite hood. Also you can get the downforce in FRP, half carbon and half FRP, and full carbon on carbon. And the prices vary.

15486295163_c0c12085dc_k_zps2c4d65b3.jpg

Are those hood locks functional or is it for hood fitment? They look cool. Where did you get them? Can you show us what they look the under hood?

Last edited:
Back