• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For Zymöl Users Only (NSX Specific)

This forum is intended for NSX users of Zymöl products, or for people who are considering purchasing Zymöl products. It's a place where people can ask questions about Zymöl, such as where to purchase, how to apply, tips and hints, etc.

It's the intention of this forum to NOT get into any product comparisons by name. Rather, I hope we can strictly keep the discussion on Zymöl and not bring up the names of any other product.

If we need to discuss anything of a comparative nature, let's really try to keep other brand names and product names out of it and keep things generic. As we all know, this topic can be like religion and there's no reason for us to critique the specific choices of others.

A lot of NSX owners use Zymöl products and we need a place to discuss things and compare notes, without having the thread end up like other previous wax/polish threads.

I am not a Zymöl representative, but I have used many of their car care products for many years now, including on my NSX ever since I bought it in 1990. I also use other brands of detailing products as well, for specific tasks, where they complement the Zymöl product line.

I wouldn't presume to be an administrator here on NSXprime, but I'm happy to serve as an informal guide here on this thread.

ADVANTAGES OF ZYMÖL

People have asked me why I use Zymöl products when there are other companies that sell detailing products, many of which are excellent products and many of which cost less than the corresponding Zymöl products. The fact is, I use products from other companies too. I don’t believe that any one company makes the best of every product in its industry. Similarly, you might believe that Honda/Acura makes the best sports car (the NSX, presumably) but another company makes the best sport utility vehicle or pickup truck. However, many of the Zymöl products are the best in the business, and work better than other products I have tried. I base my opinion on over twenty years of using products from many companies. I have discussed this extensively with Larry Emmons (see below), one of the leading experts in the detailing industry, and he too believes strongly that many (if not all) of the Zymöl products are better than others (although he will be happy to sell you those of many other companies as well).

Here are some of the advantages of Zymöl products:

1. Terrific results. Zymöl products keep your car clean and looking its absolute best. Zymöl waxes contain high percentages of carnauba for a glossy, deep shine. This is why Zymöl is so often the choice of the leading professionals in the business. Zymöl was used for the 1934 Voisin that was chosen Best in Show, as well as the majority of first, second, and third place winners throughout the field, at the 2002 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, the top concours event in the country.

2. Ease of purchase over the internet. You can buy products directly from Zymöl’s website, day or night, and complete the transaction by charging the purchase to your credit card. Many of Zymöl’s retailers also provide this capability.

3. Ease of purchase from Zymöl over the phone. You can buy the products by calling Zymöl on their toll-free telephone number. Many of Zymöl’s retailers provide this capability, too.

4. Ease of purchase in person. Zymöl products are sold at “bricks and mortar” retailer locations throughout the country and around the world. These outlets have regular hours during the week (and many on weekends), so that you can run out to the store and buy some without needing to call for an appointment ahead of time.

5. Customer service and technical support. Zymöl provides customer service and technical support through their toll-free telephone number, even on weekends, as well as by e-mail. I have called and spoken to their technical experts while detailing my car on a Sunday!

6. Known, safe, all-natural ingredients. Zymöl lists the ingredients of its products on its website, and Zymöl’s president has been known to publicly demonstrate their safety by eating/drinking them. Zymöl has also filed a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) with the federal government which describes the ingredients and safety profile of its products. An MSDS is required for any substance which is a health hazard (meaning that acute or chronic health affects may occur in employees exposed to it) or a physical hazard (meaning a chemical that is a combustible liquid, a compressed gas, explosive, flammable, an organic peroxide, an oxidizer, pyrophoric, unstable (reactive) or water-reactive). Each MSDS contains information about the company that makes the product, ingredients, health hazards, first aid information, handling and storage precautions, fire hazard information, physical and chemical properties, etc. You can read more about the MSDS in the MSDS FAQ (click here). Most, but not all, sellers of detailing products have one or more MSDS on file for their products. If you would like to look up the MSDS for any product, there are searchable databases on the Internet where you can do so, such as the one at the Seton Compliance Resource Center.

7. Compatibility with products from other brands. If you wish to use Zymöl wax with another brand of paint cleaner, or Zymöl paint cleaner with another brand of car wash liquid, no problem! The routine with Zymöl is the same as recommended by most of the major brands of detailing products, so you can use whichever product you like best for each step in the process.

8. Support of the NSX community. Zymöl has sponsored the concours at NSXPO for the past several years. Their substantial sponsorship dollars have enabled the event to significantly reduce registration fees for participants. They have given products away at NSXPO, and they offer discounts to members of the NSX Club of America.

9. Responsible corporate citizenship. When our country is in need, Zymöl has been there with support, such as its contribution of a portion of profits on sales to support the heroes and victims of September 11.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 22 October 2002).]

ZYMÖL RESOURCES AND RETAILERS

I'll try to update this section as often as needed.

Warning: Zymol has its name on two lines of products. One line is made in Chicago by Turtle Wax, to which Zymol has given permission to use its name. Unfortunately, those products are available in auto parts and department stores all over the country. The products in the real Zymol product line are made in Connecticut and are available at select high-end specialty shops and dealers, as well as direct from Zymol. All the products described here are the real Zymol products, made in Connecticut.

Zymöl

The helpful, friendly staff at Zymöl is accessible through their website, over their toll-free telephone number, and by e-mail.

Zymöl's web site at http://www.zymol.com is the primary source of product information, tips and hints. You can purchase Zymöl products directly from their website, but I’m not sure whether you can get the 10 percent discount as a member of the NSX Club of America that you can over the phone.

Zymöl has retailers throughout the country and around the world with regular, posted store hours where you can buy Zymöl products and obtain advice about the use of Zymöl products. To locate the nearest Zymöl retailer in your area using the dealer locator on Zymöl’s website, click here.

For a high-level site map of Zymöl’s website, click here.

Each Zymöl product has its own web page where it provides application instructions, ingredients, and other information. Here are some of the most frequently-used Zymöl products; click on the name of the product to link directly to that product’s web page showing complete application instructions and a list of ingredients:

Zymöl Clear car wash liquid
Zymöl Glas glass cleaner
Zymöl Brite wheel cleaner
Zymöl Tyre tire conditioner
Zymöl HD-Cleanse paintwork cleaner
Zymöl Strik engine cleaner
Zymöl Lehm-Klay clay paintwork kit
Zymöl Japon hand-crafted wax
Zymöl NSX estate glaze
Zymöl Treat leather conditioner
Zymöl Vinyl vinyl conditioner
Zymöl Seal rubber seal conditioner

Zymöl’s toll-free telephone number is 800-999-5563. You can use it during the day to order Zymöl products, reach customer service regarding orders you have placed, and obtain technical advice on the use of Zymöl products.

Zymöl’s e-mail address for customer service regarding orders is [email protected]. The e-mail address for technical advice on the use of Zymöl products is [email protected].

Emmons Coachworks

Larry Emmons is one of the most knowledgeable detailing experts in the country. In 1988, he founded Emmons Coachworks in the suburbs west of Chicago as “a candy store for anyone who loves carsÒ”. They sell many different products from multiple manufacturers, including the full line of Zymöl products.

For their website, click here. You can telephone toll-free at 1-800-NOW-4-WAX

Emmons Coachworks offers a 10 percent discount to members of the NSX Club of America, but unfortunately this discount is not available on Zymol products. I am not sure whether you can get the discount when placing orders through their website, but you certainly can when ordering by phone or when shopping in their store location.

Compare prices; you may find that Emmons prices on individual items may be more, or less, than directly from Zymöl.

EDIT: Revised the description of the Emmons discount due to a change in their policy.

Last edited:
ZYMÖL TECHNIQUES AND TIPS – EXTERIOR

Here are the ways in which I use various Zymöl products. Feel free to post your own tips and techniques.

General Techniques and Tips:

a. Do not work on your car in direct sunlight.

b. Do not wax your car at temperatures below 50 degrees F, as the wax can become difficult to spread.

c. Use either the Zymöl applicator or 100 percent cotton towels to apply all Zymöl products, except as noted. You can buy a bag of 36 all-cotton detailing towels at Sam’s Club.

I will present the steps in the order in which I generally perform them. This is my general routine; I have not included steps that I use only occasionally for specific purposes (engine cleaner, wheel cleaner, window cleaner, etc). Click on any product name to see detailed application instructions and ingredients from the Zymöl website.

1. Wash the car with Zymöl Clear car wash liquid. Zymöl Clear is a unique combination of pure tallow, pure coconut essence oil conditioners and lemon extracts to gently clean and care for
your car.

Time: 30-45 minutes. Frequency: As needed (typically once every 1-3 weeks for me).

Tips: Use like any car wash liquid.

clear.gif

2. If the surface feels rough to the touch, smooth it down with your favorite clay product, such as Zymöl Lehm-Klay clay paintwork kit. Zymöl Lehm-Klay is a superior natural remedy for acid rain etch, moderate abrasions, bird droppings and light oxidation. Zymöl Lehm-Klay removes paint marring and soil through microscopic polishing and cleaning without harm to new or old paintwork.

Time: 75-120 minutes. Frequency: Once a year and/or any time the finish feels rough to the touch.

Tips: Use gently and only when needed.

lehmPICT.JPG

3. Cleanse the car with Zymöl HD-Cleanse paintwork cleaner. Time: 75-120 minutes. Frequency: Once a year and/or any time the finish looks slightly hazy due to oxidation or light scratches.

Tips: I don't usually use clay (step 2) and HD-Cleanse (step 3) at the same time, although I would if I had just bought a used car and its finish was not in great shape. In addition to routine use for oxidation, I find that HD-Cleanse is terrific on a spot basis for stubborn stains such as tar, insects, etc. that don’t wash off.

hdclean.gif

4. Check the finish of the car closely for swirl marks or light scratches or etching from bird droppings or other surface defects. If there are any specific spots that remain, even after using Zymöl Lehm-Clay and/or Zymöl HD-Cleanse, you may wish to consider smoothing them down at this point with a swirl mark remover, such as available from several other brands (but not Zymöl). Note that such products tend to be physically abrasive, and for this reason should not be part of any regular detailing routine. Time and frequency: As needed.

5. Wax the car with Zymöl wax (Zymöl NSX, Zymöl Japon, etc). Time: 60-90 minutes. Frequency: Once every 3-6 months and/or any time water is not beading on the car when it's clean.

Tips: Zymöl waxes contain carnauba wax, which is an extremely hard, durable substance derived from the palmetto plant. Most automotive waxes of other brands contain approximately 5 percent carnauba, and are made mostly of petroleum distillates. Zymöl’s hand-crafted waxes contain 33-37 percent carnauba, and Zymöl’s estate glazes contain 47-53 percent carnauba. The two most frequently-used Zymöl waxes for the NSX are Zymöl NSX and Zymöl Japon.

Zymöl NSX estate glaze is the only wax custom-formulated for the finish of the NSX. It contains 52 percent carnauba, and provides an incredibly deep, rich gloss. It requires some care and effort to use, because it is not a spreadable consistency at room temperature. It is applied with the hands by melting it and spreading it on the car.

Zymöl Japon hand-crafted wax contains 37 percent carnauba, and it too provides a deep, rich gloss. It is easy to use because it is spreadable at room temperature using a Zymöl wax applicator or an all-cotton towel to apply.

Which wax to use? Zymöl NSX provides slightly more depth to the finish, but Zymöl Japon is easier to use. I use both on my NSX: Zymöl NSX for the horizontal surfaces of the NSX (hood, roof, trunk lid, trunk spoiler) which are most visible and most susceptible to the effects of the sun, and Zymöl Japon for the rest of the car (fenders, bumpers, doors, rocker panels).

Apply any Zymöl wax in the shade in a very thin layer, only just enough to coat the finish, no more. If you’re not sure whether you’re applying a layer too thick, it probably is indeed too thick.

The wax should sit on the finish for about a minute or two before buffing out, no more. I find it easiest to wax a few square feet at a time – a fender, a bumper, a door, half the hood, half the roof, half the trunk lid, etc. I wax and buff two such sections in tandem; for example, wax a fender, then wax a door, then go back and buff the fender because a minute or two will have passed, then go and buff the door because a minute or two will have passed while buffing the fender.

waxpr.gif
nsxwax.GIF

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 11 September 2002).]

ZYMÖL TECHNIQUES AND TIPS – INTERIOR

General Techniques and Tips:

I usually do the interior on a different day from the exterior, but only for time management reasons; there’s no reason you can’t detail the interior on the same day if you wish. Actually, I usually do the interior at the track, because the car is usually in the sun there (sun is bad for applying the exterior products, but good for the interior products, particularly the Treat) and because I have idle periods during the day at the track.

The two interior conditioner products described below are amazing! They leave the surfaces clean and conditioned, with a slight satiny look to them, but without an oily, glossy look or feel. Zymöl Vinyl Conditioner is a solvent-free, formaldehyde-free, oil-based feeding product that releases solvents and restores moisture. zymöl Treat Leather Conditioner is a solvent-free, banana-oil and collagen-based feeding product that releases trapped solvents and restores moisture to keep your leather looking, feeling, and smelling like new.

6. Apply Zymöl Vinyl vinyl conditioner to all the vinyl parts of the interior. Time: 40 minutes, including 20 minutes between application and buffing. Frequency: Once every 6 months and/or any time the dashboard looks dried out.

Tips: If you are not sure which parts of the NSX interior are vinyl and which are leather, click here.

vinyl.jpg

7. Apply Zymöl Treat leather conditioner to all the leather parts of the interior. Time: 30 minutes, including 10 minutes between application and buffing. Frequency: Once every 6 months and/or any time the leather looks dried out.

treat.jpg

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 08 September 2002).]

4. Check the finish of the car closely for swirl marks or light scratches or etching from bird droppings or other surface defects.

No experience detailing/cleaning. I have always used soapy water and just rinsed it off.

Can you recommend a swirl remover?? Also, is the estate (nsx) wax a higher quality wax that works on any finish??? Or is it specifically designed to work on the aluminum or something else specific to the nsx? If I skip paint clenser is it a terrible thing?

I was thinking of trying Dawn soap to clean it, use a clay bar, remove swirls, then zymol wax it. Any objections? I don't need a show finish..just want it to look good.

Originally posted by true:
Can you recommend a swirl remover??

Remember, this topic was established for discussing Zymol products.
wink.gif

I have used the Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 and it is an excellent product. (I know people who have used 3M Swirl Remover and have also gotten excellent results.) Just remember, though, that this product is a fine abrasive; that means it works by wearing down the paint. So you only want to use it as a last resort, if nothing else (e.g. HD-Cleanse) works, where something is actually etched into the finish.

is the estate (nsx) wax a higher quality wax that works on any finish??? Or is it specifically designed to work on the aluminum or something else specific to the nsx?

Although each Zymol wax is designed for a particular kind of finish, you can use any Zymol wax on any car with excellent results.

That being said, I reserve the expensive wax for the expensive car. Of course, the less-expensive wax (Zymol Japon) is easier to apply, too.

If I skip paint clenser is it a terrible thing?

It depends on what you're using instead. You need to remove oxidation and other impurities from the surface to get the best results from the wax, if you've never done it before. (This is true of all brands of detailing products.) Washing the car and then waxing won't give you the same results. (However, if you have used a cleanser before, you don't need to use it EVERY time you wax, just once in a while.)

I was thinking of trying Dawn soap to clean it, use a clay bar, remove swirls, then zymol wax it. Any objections? I don't need a show finish..just want it to look good.

Dawn will remove old wax but won't remove oxidation or swirl marks. Clay will remove surface impurities but may not work as deep as HD-Cleanse.

What I would suggest is to wash the car, and then use HD-Cleanse on it. HD-Cleanse will remove any old wax, so there's no need for a separate step for Dawn. See if HD-Cleanse also removes the swirl marks. (HD-Cleanse can remove light swirl marks, but if they're really bad, you may want to consider a swirl remover; always try using the mildest products you can first, and go to the severe ones only if the milder ones dont' work.)

If, at that point, the surface feels smooth, go ahead and wax. Only use the clay if the surface doesn't feel smooth to the touch.

Also, since you're in the western suburbs, feel free to stop by Emmons Coachworks. They're very knowledgeable. (And I know for a fact that they sell Zymol Japon for less than Zymol's website.
wink.gif
)

Can you elaborate on the differences between Zymöl Lehm-Klay and HD-Cleanse? They sound like they perform very similar functions. When do you use one vs. the other? Which one is harsher on the paint?

For very stubborn, dried/caked-on gum & tar, what is the proper procedure for removing the contagions without damaging the paint? Do you allow the cleaner to sit on the affected spot until the particles dissolve off, or do you have to use brute force to take off the offending material?

Thanks.

I have a can of NSX Zymol wax but hesitant to use it. A while back, a friend of mine who has a white NSX used it and the yellow food coloring in the NSX wax yellowed his front bumper. Once he saw that, he didn't use it on the rest of the car and called me about it. After using a cleaner and swirl mark remover, the front bumper was still yellowed by the food coloring in the wax. Nothing I used was able to remove it. I suggested he leave the car in the sunlight and perhaps it will dissipate. After about a week it was okay but not completely gone. After a few months, it was eventually bleached out by the sunlight. He got rid of the NSX wax and went with another brand with excellent results.

Zymol produces great car car products but this is one instance where even I am hesitant to use it on my own NSX.

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
Can you elaborate on the differences between Zymöl Lehm-Klay and HD-Cleanse? They sound like they perform very similar functions. When do you use one vs. the other? Which one is harsher on the paint?

The Lehm-Klay is a bit stronger, and (like most clay products) is slightly abrasive. It's for paint that has problems of some sort - for example, if the paint does not feel smooth to the touch, or is visibly dull, or has overspray from a body repair. The HD-Cleanse is milder and is designed for repeated, routine use.

For very stubborn, dried/caked-on gum & tar, what is the proper procedure for removing the contagions without damaging the paint? Do you allow the cleaner to sit on the affected spot until the particles dissolve off, or do you have to use brute force to take off the offending material?

If gum or tar is so dried or caked on that HD-Cleanse doesn't remove it, I use a bug and tar remover product to do so (you can find such products in most auto parts stores). Such products are solvents and should be followed by HD-Cleanse and then wax.

Vytas, this is the first time I have heard of anyone having such a problem with NSX wax. Perhaps a white car is more sensitive, and your friend might be better off with Zymol Creame, their wax that is designed for light colored cars. For your silver car, I'm sure it would be fine; another choice would be Zymol Japon, which makes an excellent, easy-to-apply alternative for any NSX as well as any other Japanese marque car. I have used Zymol Japon on cars that are red, blue, yellow, and gold, with outstanding results and without any problems whatsoever.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 01 October 2002).]

Thanks a lot for the info, Ken. I had pretty good results with a clay bar followed by Zymöl Cleaner Wax. I picked up a 2-pack of the Cleaner Wax at Costco for $14.89. This was before I read this forum and Zymöl's web page.

Next time I'm going to try the whole process and see how it turns out:

1. Zymöl Clear car wash liquid
2. Zymöl HD-Cleanse
3. Zymöl Japon

The Zymöl Cleaner Wax hides the swirls pretty well (enough that I don't feel the need for a swirl remover), and makes the surface extremely shiny and smooth.

I want to try the Zymöl Vinyl and Zymöl Treat too. There are a few areas around the driver seat bolster where cracks are in the initial stages of forming. Will these produts do anything to hide/eliminate the cracks, or do they just restore the oils and prevent the cracks from forming any further?

I want to try the Zymöl Vinyl and Zymöl Treat too. There are a few areas around the driver seat bolster where cracks are in the initial stages of forming. Will these produts do anything to hide/eliminate the cracks, or do they just restore the oils and prevent the cracks from forming any further?

The Treat will just restore the oils and prevent the cracks from forming any further.

(The Vinyl is for the vinyl parts of the dash and seats, etc.)

Back