• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Found this from Craiglist :)

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/about/best/dal/316206178.html

Open Letter From a Cop
Date: 2007-04-21, 3:51PM CDT

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Allow me to introduced myself. I am a police officer. More importantly to this post, I am a police officer who is sick and damned tired of dealing with certain things on a day to day basis:

1) Contrary to what you might think, I am not an idiot. That ring on my finger is a BA from Texas Tech. My GPA was a 3.71 and I was in fact the president of my frat (which means I got a lot of stories that start out "So, this one time, we were fucked up, and...). So, when I make the mistake of mispronouncing your name (the last name with 17 fucking letters, only two of which are vowels), dont give me that look like I just kicked your puppy.

While I may not be an idiot, I am human and I do fuck things up from time to time. When I apologize for pulling you over because I thought your tags were out, just take the sorry and be on about your way. DO NOT get a high and mighty attitude. Our state has over 5000 traffic laws, I can find one to help you get over your tude.

2) No, I do not have "real criminals" I should be out looking for. Did you happen to notice the fucking Harley parked behind you with LED's blinking? Lemme give you a hint - if you see a motorcycle officer, our entire job relates to asshole drivers. Asshole drivers are the ones who make your daily commute dangerous (Or, a complete standstill, once they wreck out). With that in mind, shut up about the other "important" things I "should be doing." Believe it or not, I tried to get this job. Dont act like you wouldnt like to get paid to ride a Harley for 8 hours a day. But, the main benefit of this job, is I dont have "Real criminals" to fuck with. No shagging calls, dealing with domestics, and so on. My worst days are telling someone they lost a loved one in a wreck I just worked. Which, brings me to my next point:

3) If I was a dick from the beginning of the stop, I apologize. I mean that with all sincerity. I am human. If I've dealt with 10 assholes before I stopped you or maybe delivered a death notification, I may have done the wrong thing and assumed you were gonna be one too. Believe it or not, after my shift on the way home, I'll probably reflect on my day and feel a bit shitty if our interaction stands out because I was a jerk. Yours wouldnt be the first citation I've "lost" because I thought I was being an overbearing prick at the time I wrote it. We all have our bad days.

4) No good deed goes unpunished. I know that. But, if I give you a warning - DO NOT assume I pulled you over for a bullshit reason and then lost my nerve. Just because I didnt write you for 7 over the limit, doesnt mean I was profiling and you should set up a meeting with my Chief and your NAACP rep. You complaining that "He stopped me for nothin, oterwise he'd have given me a ticket," is bullshit and, frankly, is the reason most of us have stopped giving warnings.

Profiling is BULLSHIT, by the way. You're hauling ass past me at 70+ mph. I have to see your speed, if you have a front license plate, registration sticker, inspection sticker and if you're wearing a seatbelt in the split second you pass me. I couldnt give two shits if your black white or green.

5) No, you may not see my RADAR gun. For a few reasons. First, I dont have to show it to you. You bestfriend's roommate's boyfriend who talked to a cop once is fucking wrong. I dont have to show it to you, I dont care what you heard. Second, I dont want to show it to you, because I dont want you out of your car. Why? You may not know that you're not gonna attack me, but I dont know that. If you're seated, you're less of a threat and I like feeling as comfy as I can. Also, I dont have a RADAR anymore. I have LIDAR. If you're gonna act like a lawyer on the side of the road, get your shit squared away first and know what you're talking about. Finally, you cant see the LIDAR for your own safety. You feel that way your car rocks every time an 18 wheeler flys by? I'd rather not get sued becuase your stupid ass fell into traffic and got killed on my stop.

While I'm on my good pal LIDAR, it has some neat features. It's a laser beamed device, so - no, I couldnt have gotten the guy next to you. It's got a scope on it, and the scope's dot was aimed directly at your car's grill. Also, it tells me the distance in feet that i clocked you at. So, dont tell me, I couldnt have gotten you from that far, because I can. Its accurate to 2500 feet (half a mile or so), and I can clock you, get two swigs of coffee and eat three donut holes by the time you get close enough to see my motorcycle on the shoulder.

6) Arguements take place in court, not on the side of the road. No exceptions. And, yes, I will show up to court. Even on my day off. I get paid (by you, thanks for reminding me) OT to show up to court, and I'm trying to con my wife into letting me buy a new boat, so I need that money. Now, once we get to court, follow a few easy rules:

Dont lie. My bike has a video camera on it, and that box on my belt is a mic. The camera is hooked into my fixed 4 way RADAR, so it shows your speed (if I didnt clock you with a LIDAR unit, that is). Oh, and judges dont like all those cuss words you used out at the scene...

Dont yell at me outside the court room. This is not a personal matter to me, even if it is for you. After this, Im going home and watching my Texas Rangers fuck up another promising season. You will be the furthest thing from my mind.

Guys and gals, we are the same as you. We've got a home life that might suck, bills to pay, college loans, the damned team that never wins (Tech losing in the first fuckin round! Damn you Bobby Knight), and so on. We have feelings, personalities, and dreams just like you. When Im at your window, look at my face. You met a hundred guys like me in college, and loved em. I was that guy a few years ago, and not much has changed. Im still a nice guy, treat me like one and you might just get a warning.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

read that the other day, too, thought it probably hit a lot of nails on the head.

good reading:wink:

Get the yackety yack non-drivers and minivan moms who are disciplining the back seats as they're driving too....... I have no problem getting popped for driving 80 and changing to lane(s) that STUPID FUCK who has a gazillion car lengths in front of them but won't get the FUCK out of the way. I get pissed when the other end of the spectrum drivers are allowed to FUCK up traffic by their inattentiveness, getting off in the last 150 feet when they've had a mile of distance to get the FUCK over...... I won't stand for that bullshit-you had your chance to get over and you're blocking me-now I'm going to FUCKING drive slow and block your FUCKING ASS type people. I NEVER LAWYER a ticket. Not my style. I take losing the ass chunk with a grain of salt. Get the other people if you're gonna get me..... because I gotta be behind them and not weave in a motorcycle. I don't have the balls, will, or desire to try a motorcycle. And speaking of them.... what's up with the million bike caravans who distribute themselves across all lanes and a mile long? Can't they all get in one lane? Where's the ticket there? I know I drive fast.... goes with the NSX territory. Why'd the FUCK I buy the NSX for? Only drive it on the FUCKING track? Hey public.... don't get an attitude.... cops don't pull fast drivers over for no reason.... if you did.... you did. COPS>>>>> Get the slow ones too. Statistics say the chances of an accident with other cars that are behind and you are going faster than they are, are pretty slim.

:wink: :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Get the yackety yack non-drivers and minivan moms who are disciplining the back seats as they're driving too....... I have no problem getting popped for driving 80 and changing to lane(s) that STUPID FUCK who has a gazillion car lengths in front of them but won't get the FUCK out of the way. I get pissed when the other end of the spectrum drivers are allowed to FUCK up traffic by their inattentiveness, getting off in the last 150 feet when they've had a mile of distance to get the FUCK over...... I won't stand for that bullshit-you had your chance to get over and you're blocking me-now I'm going to FUCKING drive slow and block your FUCKING ASS type people. I NEVER LAWYER a ticket. Not my style. I take losing the ass chunk with a grain of salt. Get the other people if you're gonna get me..... because I gotta be behind them and not weave in a motorcycle. I don't have the balls, will, or desire to try a motorcycle. And speaking of them.... what's up with the million bike caravans who distribute themselves across all lanes and a mile long? Can't they all get in one lane? Where's the ticket there? I know I drive fast.... goes with the NSX territory. Why'd the FUCK I buy the NSX for? Only drive it on the FUCKING track? Hey public.... don't get an attitude.... cops don't pull fast drivers over for no reason.... if you did.... you did. COPS>>>>> Get the slow ones too. Statistics say the chances of an accident with other cars that are behind and you are going faster than they are, are pretty slim.

Tell us how you REALLY feel...:rolleyes:

In regards to the profiling:

It's funny that even if a Harley has a modified exhaust that is pumping out 120 dB (~jet engine) roaring down a 40mph zone at 50+ mph and shearing everyone's inner hair cells while wearing a smirk and a handle-bar mustache...you never see them pulled over on the side of the road.

I've never seen a lifted truck pulled over on the side of the road either even if their suspension has been modified by 5 feet; yet I see a Honda prelude pulled over for lowering his car 2 inches.

Now there are definitely good cops and bad cops out there. Maybe this guy is a good cop. But don't blame the public if the bad cops give the good cops a bad name.

I personally have met more bad than good, but recently it's been balancing out more.

It's like he said "we're humans, too." If there ARE more bad cops than good cops, it probably just goes with the demographics where you live/travel/commute.

The other thing to consider is that while the background and psych investigations for police officers (at least in CA, and I would assume everywhere) is quite in depth... there is a "con" in the way that they do it:

Consider two potential applicants. Both have a college degree inj criminal justice, let's say. On of them is 25. The other is 21. The one just out ouf college has not had time to make mistakes and "show his true colors" yet. So on paper, he looks really good, whereas the 25 year old has had more time to make mistakes (honest ones or otherwise, and yet reform/correct himself). The 25-year old is more mature and has more experience in "the real world," whereas the 21-year old is not yet fully aware of how society "really" works, because up till now, he's been living off of his parents and going to keggers for the last 4 years.

But that kind of stuff isn't taken into consideration by the background investigators, so it's more possible that someone who appears to be upwardly mobile and "successful" on paper, may infact be a real jerk in disguise, whereas the older guy has had time to realize that being a jerk/being selfish/being lazy etc is not the right way to go about things, and that doing things right the first time is best (even if he learned that the hard way). The older guy has more time to realize that integrity is more important than getting away with something even if there is 0% chance of getting caught.

I would suspect that a larger percentage of "bad" cops have been cops since they were right out of their AA or BA program, and didn't really have time to do anything that might ruin their marketablity as a potential peace officer (such as mess up their credit or get fired from a job etc).

Anyway, just my two cents.

It's like he said "we're humans, too." If there ARE more bad cops than good cops, it probably just goes with the demographics where you live/travel/commute.

The other thing to consider is that while the background and psych investigations for police officers (at least in CA, and I would assume everywhere) is quite in depth... there is a "con" in the way that they do it:

Consider two potential applicants. Both have a college degree inj criminal justice, let's say. On of them is 25. The other is 21. The one just out ouf college has not had time to make mistakes and "show his true colors" yet. So on paper, he looks really good, whereas the 25 year old has had more time to make mistakes (honest ones or otherwise, and yet reform/correct himself). The 25-year old is more mature and has more experience in "the real world," whereas the 21-year old is not yet fully aware of how society "really" works, because up till now, he's been living off of his parents and going to keggers for the last 4 years.

But that kind of stuff isn't taken into consideration by the background investigators, so it's more possible that someone who appears to be upwardly mobile and "successful" on paper, may infact be a real jerk in disguise, whereas the older guy has had time to realize that being a jerk/being selfish/being lazy etc is not the right way to go about things, and that doing things right the first time is best (even if he learned that the hard way). The older guy has more time to realize that integrity is more important than getting away with something even if there is 0% chance of getting caught.

I would suspect that a larger percentage of "bad" cops have been cops since they were right out of their AA or BA program, and didn't really have time to do anything that might ruin their marketablity as a potential peace officer (such as mess up their credit or get fired from a job etc).

Anyway, just my two cents.

Just as a side note... you don't NEED to have a degree to be a sworn officer in the state of CA, and in fact, MOST do not have one until they are in the force for quite a while. :eek:

It goes without saying that Vegas has some of the worst drivers I have ever experienced in the entire US. And I've been to 42 of the 50 states.

The "We're human too" doesn't work that well with me. Police officers are held to a higher standard than the rest of us; it's that simple. They both represent and enforce the law. As such, a higher degree of respect, civility, and professionalism is both required and expected.

I've got no problem with a cop being short and to the point. I prefer it, in fact. I do have a problem with them giving out "dumb" tickets and trying to EXERT authority on the people they stop. Just because he's wearing a badge doesn't mean I'm supposed to lick his boots or bow my head. We can have a civil, polite, and professional discourse without either of us feeling the need to belittle or berate the other. The moment a cop steps outside those boundaries, he has lost my respect and consideration.

The last time I got stopped was for a headlight being out (I didn't know, since I was on the highway and driving with my high beams most of the time). It was past midnight and I was with my wife, mother-in-law, and (young) daughter. My daughter was crying in the back seat (over tired) and we were all beat out and just trying to get home and go to bed. I was driving a car with an OUT OF COUNTRY license plate and I had a Canadian driver's license but that small-town cop HAD to try and run them all to make sure I wasn't a drug dealer or something. Ended up holding us there for about twenty minutes. Needless to say, I lost my respect for him in a hurry. Give me the fix-it ticket and move on, champ! No need to try and pull a complete driver's history for a guy that's probably not ever going to see you again!

Dont forget the ass hats who pull up to a two lane left turn light, get into the inside lane, then as they turn drift into the right side lane, because they are too retarded to stay in their lane or too retarded to notice that its TWO FRIGGIN LANES!! Shoot them all I say. :biggrin: :tongue:

In regards to the profiling:

It's funny that even if a Harley has a modified exhaust that is pumping out 120 dB (~jet engine) roaring down a 40mph zone at 50+ mph and shearing everyone's inner hair cells while wearing a smirk and a handle-bar mustache...you never see them pulled over on the side of the road.

I've never seen a lifted truck pulled over on the side of the road either even if their suspension has been modified by 5 feet; yet I see a Honda prelude pulled over for lowering his car 2 inches.

Now there are definitely good cops and bad cops out there. Maybe this guy is a good cop. But don't blame the public if the bad cops give the good cops a bad name.

I personally have met more bad than good, but recently it's been balancing out more.

Amen, excellent point here, if you are going to pull someone over, get those loud exhaust/pipes that bikers have. Many times those characters swoop down my street and just rev it up to make noise. Take it down a notch and respect other's peace and space.

When I rode I never reved it up in neighborhoods.

My understanding is that bikes don't have a maximum noise level restriction, or else it's much, much higher than the restriction for cars.

Couple that with the fact that it's difficult to get a radar/lidar lock on a bike and most cops just let them go.

A local cop here let a motorcyclist go a few months ago after WHEELIEING down the main street downtown at roughly 90 mph. The guy pulled over but did not receive a ticket! Meanwhile, Joe Blow doing 34 in a 30 zone in his car gets a $180 ticket for doing something virtually without danger to the public!

PoohBEAR;820352 Guys and gals said:
If you and I are in fact the same then allow me to write you a ticket when I see you speeding in the cop car for no reason at all. Then we will truly be the same when those bills you have to pay, namely car insurance, is now higher for 3 years because of a one time ticket written by someone who could give a shit less about how much they might be costing the other party.

Oh yeah, before you pull me over, stop tailgating me for a mile while I try and act like I don't see you there and I have done nothing wrong. This really is 99% of the reason why I act like an asshole when you get to the window. thanks in advance.

I'm sorry...was he trying to garner some sympathy from me there at the end by telling me he's just a regular guy doing his job? :rolleyes:

And no professional courtesy afforded to police officers who flash their badge as a civilian? I hear it all the time LA Sheriff get stopped...... 85 on the freeway........ flash the badge...... "please drive carefully". Sound familiar? I go 85 and it license and registration and can you please stay in the car sir. Stop into a restaurant or other business to get "discounted" service and merchandise in exchange for "protection" presence? I want the same courtesy the next time I pull into Denny's or Baker's Square or Coco's or Marie Callender's or a liquor store for a Pepsi.

follow the rules on public roads for everyone's safety. exercise the nsx in the appropriate places...that is where we'll have the most fun unleashing our car's manufactured purpose.

I always just start a polite conversation when they get to the window... Usually take it thru a few twists and turns, and usually ends with "oh yeah... and I pulled you over for XXXXXXX, so just be more careful next time" Doesn't ALWAYS work, but people identify with nice people, not dickheads!

While I can relate to what the officer says, (I was one for 25 years) I do not appreciate the way he expressed himself. If he indeed has a BA from a real university, (not some internet diploma mill) he should be able to express himself without resorting to the language of someone selling drugs for a living, (generally).

Also, having just had a difficult stop or even a death notification prior in the day or even the week, is no excuse to treat the next person roughly or unprofessionally. Trust me, I had those days and still did not generate complaints; I worked in a major metropolitan city, rode motors (bikes) and all that.

My advise to that officer, as it was to the officers whom I supervised, was to always take a moment and be a professional. That single moment will prevent those opened mouth without thinking complaints that create alot of administrative paperwork and grief for all invloved.

Finally, remember officers today are paid about $100K a year, heavily trained, trained and retrained, to be professionals 100% of the time. Hold them to that standard. Treat them in a civil manner, you need not lick their boots. Just treat them like you want to be treated.

If officers are paid 100k a year, then I need to sign up.

While I can relate to what the officer says, (I was one for 25 years) I do not appreciate the way he expressed himself. If he indeed has a BA from a real university, (not some internet diploma mill) he should be able to express himself without resorting to the language of someone selling drugs for a living, (generally).

I would assume that his grammatical demeanor (or lack there of) can be attributed to the fact that he is trying to convey that he is just an average guy...

Also, having just had a difficult stop or even a death notification prior in the day or even the week, is no excuse to treat the next person roughly or unprofessionally. Trust me, I had those days and still did not generate complaints

My advise to that officer, as it was to the officers whom I supervised, was to always take a moment and be a professional. That single moment will prevent those opened mouth without thinking complaints that create alot of administrative paperwork and grief for all invloved.

I agree 100%

Finally, remember officers today are paid about $100K a year, heavily trained, trained and retrained, to be professionals 100% of the time. Hold them to that standard. Treat them in a civil manner, you need not lick their boots. Just treat them like you want to be treated.

I guess that depends on where and how long... I was a sworn officer for the second highest paid dept in the nation (under Oakland, CA). Starting salary (in the Academy) was close to $70k, and by the time I was off probation, starting sal was at at $82k. I left the dept after 3 years, and base was at $87k, and with overtime I was bringing in well over $100k. BUT, that was the second highest paid dept in the nation... I know of some LT's that are bringing in a base of close to $100k, but you're talking XX years on the force.

There was an article in the Boston Globe recently that published $$$ figures for Mass State Police. There were several troopers (mostly airport duty) that made $160K+ and one turnpike trooper making over $200K with all the overtime and details.

Here it is:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/02/07/pay_exceeds_140000_for_hundreds_of_troopers/

Nearly one in 10 Massachusetts State Police officers made more than the governor last year, with 225 officers topping the $140,535 annual salary of the state's chief executive.
Four of the 2,338 state troopers were paid more than $200,000, and 123 others were paid more than $150,000, the salary of the governor's Cabinet secretaries, according to payroll information obtained by the Globe under the state public records law.
In 2005, nine Boston officers made more than $200,000, and more than 1,000 made more than $100,000.

Last edited:
Back