• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Front brake caliper (91-96) pin question... help! heh..

I took the pins out of my calipers today to start on the rebuild and I noticed (after I had all four out unfortunately) that two of the four pins have 3 grooves cut in them (down the shaft). I'm not sure which holes these grooved pins are supposed to be put back in when I reassemble. Kind of weird that only two are like this, not sure what the purpose is. Does anyone have a manual that tells this information? Or know off hand how I should put these back in?

Thanks a lot everyone, I appreciate any help you can give me.

Kevin Krause

Originally posted by kev95si:
two of the four pins have 3 grooves cut in them (down the shaft). Does anyone have a manual that tells this information? Or know off hand how I should put these back in?

Thanks a lot everyone, I appreciate any help you can give me.

Kevin Krause

Keven, I've rebuilt three sets of NSX brakes already and noticed this on all three. My best guess is that it is to prevent binding of the caliper as it translates on the pins. I've installed the grooved pin on either side with no difference in performance, durability, or pad wear. As long as you have one of each type of pin in each caliper carrier then you should be fine.

Vic

Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately there's one more thing that similar to this... On the caliper brackets there is different numbers, on one it's 4 and the other it's 5. I'm not sure which number goes on which caliper (L/R). The two mounting brackets look exactly the same (from what I can tell), but I don't know why they'd use different part numbers if they were the same. I'm definitely learning from this experience that I need to take more care and write down how the parts were as I take them apart ONE AT A TIME! Well, you live, you learn
wink.gif

If anyone happens to have their wheels off their car and can take a look at this for me or if you just happen to know the answer I'd be grateful.

Thanks again!

Kevin Krause

Back