• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front end suspension and steering system rebuild - common items to replace?

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
I recently took a *very* spirited drive up in Angeles Crest (local LA area mountain road). Mostly of us drove with 911s, M3s, S2000s, and a Ferrari GTS. It was interesting exchanging honest comments on each owners impressions of their cars. Anyway, I could really notice my front end felt looser. Everything just has more "play" than new. It's a similar feeling to having old worn out body and suspension rubber mounts and bushing in an old car. Nothing alarming of course, just your standard 18 yo car telling you some systems needs to be rebuilt. It really feels like from the steering wheel to the hubs there's just some looseness i'd like to improve upon. I'm sure the 18" low pro tires had some to do with the harshness also. Generally, car-to-driver communication could be better.

Anyway, my car is a 1991 nearing 90k miles with manual steering. Suspension is stock except for 18s in front with S03s and Bilstein on lower perch. I tried to do a search on common items and have come up with a few items to ask about.

I'd also like to keep this thread about the steering and replacement items and less about general suspension. You know how it is with suspension.. everyone has their own likes/dislikes based on driving style (i.e. spring rates, sway bars diameters, etc).

Questions:

1. Steering rack bushing kit - I already have this on order with SoS since I figured I should change them anyway. I've read mixed reviews on if this actually does much of anything in terms of percieved improvement. But dried and old bushing are dried and old bushings...

2. Non-Compliance Toe Links - I've heard good things about this. Is this enough or do I need to buy the rear beam and all the non-compliance items to really make a difference. What's your experience? The rear beam seems to be pretty popular also.

3. New Steering Wheel - I think one of the biggest problems with the NSX is that crappy steering wheel. It's heavy, bulky, and just not very ergonomic friendly esp for a manual steering car. It seems to dampen a lot of communication but i've never tried something different. You folks that have upgraded to a non-SRS unit, was it worth it? I don't care for the "badass/racer" look. I just want improved car/driver communication.

4. A-arm bushings - I haven't read many talk about replacing the old rubber bushings. Is that a common "quick hit" item to address?

5. Steering rack/box - Is this a common item to replace? I've read mixed reviews. Is most of the play in the steering system coming from this? I hope to avoid this and leave this as a last resort. These units are $$$.

6. Tie-rods - Inner and outer tie rods. Same with #5, are these common to replace also?

7. Last question - What order of replacement should I follow? I don't want to do all at once unless it makes sense during the install process. As with anything these days budget is always a concern.

Also, I think i'm generally happy with the OEM sways and the stock 91 springs. Could use a little less roll but for now I like the little bit of tendency to wanna push/understeer.

Would appreciate some of your comments guys!

UPDATED: I believe i've found some answers. Rear beam with bushings, rigid toe links and front compliant joint clamps, sway bar bushing, control arm bushing, chassis bars - these are the items I look into replacing/adding. Now the challenge is picking the right products to upgrade first keeping in mind low hanging fruit and best bang for the buck.

Last edited:
FWIW, I replaced the steering bushings on my '91. The old ones seemed to be in perfect shape and the new bushings seemed to make no difference.

3. New Steering Wheel - I think one of the biggest problems with the NSX is that crappy steering wheel. It's heavy, bulky, and just not very ergonomic friendly esp for a manual steering car. It seems to dampen a lot of communication but i've never tried something different. You folks that have upgraded to a non-SRS unit, was it worth it? I don't care for the "badass/racer" look. I just want improved car/driver communication.

I just changed from an OEM re-wrapped with thicker padding steering wheel for a MOMO steering wheel with NRG hub and quick release. It is by far one of the best mods I have done to my NSX. In my opinion, the steering actually feels lighter. I definitely think its worth it.

My $.02

Mike

fwiw, i have a 94 with 90k miles. just redid suspension.
got 99% of advice on what to do from wei shen chin and shad. of course i read a billion posts on prime as well. i wanted a car that was really good for the track without too much regard for the street ride. did not do control arm bushings, haven't read many posts about it that i can remember and no one seems to talk about it. so i am curious about the need to do that and would like to hear info on that.

here's what i did:
comptech pro suspension
rear beam by shad
non compliant toe links by shad
comptech front and rear sways
nsx-r chassis bars

Last edited:
I have a 91 with 117K miles. I replaced the shocks and springs with OEM from a 2000 with 15K miles and it made a huge difference. Replace the shocks (springs usually don't change much) first and go from there.

6. Tie-rods - Inner and outer tie rods. Same with #5, are these common to replace also?

I have a '91 with approx 165k miles. It started feeling a little looser in the front end a couple of years ago (at about 140k) and the tie-rods were the culprit. On a normal car, this is not a big deal .. but on the NSX, if you develop play in the ends, you have to replace the whole spindle because there's no way to replace (except at the factory) the piece where it connects to the spindle. I wound up spending about $500 for each spindle and $500 for labour.

I have a 91 with 117K miles. I replaced the shocks and springs with OEM from a 2000 with 15K miles and it made a huge difference. Replace the shocks (springs usually don't change much) first and go from there.
I've had new Bilstein shocks for almost a year now. Can't say that's the culprit. Unfortunately, I think my wear items are deeper than that.

I have a '91 with approx 165k miles. It started feeling a little looser in the front end a couple of years ago (at about 140k) and the tie-rods were the culprit. On a normal car, this is not a big deal .. but on the NSX, if you develop play in the ends, you have to replace the whole spindle because there's no way to replace (except at the factory) the piece where it connects to the spindle. I wound up spending about $500 for each spindle and $500 for labour.
Yikes! I didn't think the entire spindle would need replacing. What made you decide it wasn't the steering rack? I've noticed more people here replace their steering rack first. I'm not looking forward to either :(

Hey, it was nice meeting you the other day.

Just happened upon your post so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I was experiencing a similar "looseness" from the front end and was going to replace my steering rack bushings and tie rod ends - I did that along w/ all the suspension bushings on my AE86 and it made a world of difference. However, I took the car to Autowave to have them do a full inspection and they said that all the bushings are fine and the steering is tight - the culprit of my handling woes was mainly my front tires getting worn, and an alignment wouldn't hurt either.

The steering wheel though I think is a must - I changed my OEM to a 350mm momo within 1 week of buying my car (98) and never looked back. If you're still using an OEM steering wheel, try this first before spending thousands on replacing all your suspension components.

Kuni

What made you decide it wasn't the steering rack? I've noticed more people here replace their steering rack first. I'm not looking forward to either :(
The original diagnosis happened at a dealer and because of the cost, I had a second independent shop (that I trust) do another inspection. They confirmed that the rack was ok but the tie-rod ends were worn. After changing, the 'looseness' was gone.

Just wanted to post my observations since the last time I did some spirited driving. This topic was brought on by what I thought was inadequate suspension performance; I was on my 18/19 "heavy" wheel combination with a proper alignment. I must say... i've since switched down to my 17/18 "light" combo and drove on the same hwy... what a huge world of difference. It's still not perfect but for my standards it a close match for my skill level. I think at this point the logical step is to upgrade to certain NSX-R components. Most of the looseness, harshness, heavy/lazy, characteristics went away.

Point being... don't under estimate the power of a good set wheels/tires and our stock suspension setup! 18/19+ is just for show imho.

Again, i'm not a track rat so you many of you guys probably already knew this.

Just curious why no one is mentioning the ball joints, seems like there should be some wear there also, especially on higher mileage or tracked cars.

I'm currently trying to decide on getting all 8 of mine rebuilt just to be done with it (6 in front, 2 in back). I have 120K on my car and the lower front right is the one that currently shows wear and a slight amount of play. I have my mechanic checking out the others as I write. I have been offered a reduced price if I do all 8.

Bumping an old thread..... what are the tie rod ends and where are they? I have this slack in my steering w/ some noise and was wondering where this is...

Bumping an old thread..... what are the tie rod ends and where are they? I have this slack in my steering w/ some noise and was wondering where this is...

The tie rods are the links that connects the steering rack to the front steering knuckles. There are two components, the inner and outer ones. When you do a front end alignment you actually loosen the threads and adjust your toe with it.

Also you do not need to replace the entire front steering knuckle to replace the outer tie rods. When I replaced mine, all I had to do was to hammer out the sleeve on the old outer tie rod and press it back on to the old steering knuckle.

The easiest way to see if your front end is worn out would be to get the car in the air and grab the front wheel and see if you can shake it side to side. If there is only side to side play it is your tie rods. If have up and down play only, it is either your wheel bearings or ball joints are worn. You will have to have someone else look at which particular components are moving. Than have them hold that individual component down and see if the play is still there. If your holding the front steering knuckle and the wheel still have play, it is your wheel bearings that are worn etc etc.

Last edited:
The tie rods are the links that connects the steering rack to the front steering hubs. There are two components, the inner and outer ones. When you do a front end alignment you actually loosen the threads and adjust your toe with it.

Also you do not need to replace the entire front hub to replace the outer tie rods. When I replaced mine, all I had to do was to hammer out the sleeve on the old outer tie rod and press it back on to the old hub.

are these the same as toe links? I bought new ones from SoS:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ.../NSX/ScienceofSpeed/non-compliance/toe-links/

Is this the same thing?

are these the same as toe links? I bought new ones from SoS:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ.../NSX/ScienceofSpeed/non-compliance/toe-links/

Is this the same thing?

Those are for the rear suspension. By ordering these you are eliminating the the rubber bushings which can deflect under severe load and cause toe angel change. I don't think you will feel a difference unless your on the track. ( I have never driven a nsx with them installed )

The tie rod ends that I was describing was for the front end.

Those are for the rear suspension. By ordering these you are eliminating the the rubber bushings which can deflect under severe load and cause toe angel change. I don't think you will feel a difference unless your on the track. ( I have never driven a nsx with them installed )

The tie rod ends that I was describing was for the front end.

Ah i see i thought these were for the front...... are there any beefier ones for the front available? Or do we just replace them with OEM?

Last edited:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/suspension_performance_products/NSX/Cedar_Ridge/pivot_clamps/

Closest thing I can think off. Again unless your tracking I doubt you will feel a difference on the street.

Titaniumdave makes them but I'm not sure if he still does

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91214

In this thread there is a picture showing how it clamps on and how it would prevent toe change under hard cornering.

Yup already got those...... the main thing i'm trying to solve is the squeaking / screeching when turning the steering wheel. Its coming from behind the drivers side front wheel

Yup already got those...... the main thing i'm trying to solve is the squeaking / screeching when turning the steering wheel. Its coming from behind the drivers side front wheel

haha I have the same problem I believe mine are coming from my front strut mounts. Try to have someone put their ear with a stethoscope on each of the strut mounts at the front strut towers and turn the wheel. If its coming from there, than you probably need new strut mounts. Upper and Lower ball joints can also squeak so definitely have someone listen good. If there is no play in the ball joints I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Back