• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front ends of 2002+

Are the front end of the 2002+ a little longer than the flip up head light front ends. Also for the people that have switched from the flip up to 02+ front end. Do you ever regret it? I have been on the fence the last few days wondering if I really like the 02+ front ends or not. It would probly be easier to compare flip-up to stationary in person, but I do not have that option right now.

There is no difference in length of the front end.

I've done the front end conversion in the past and the main reason to do it was the HID/Xenon headlights and modern look.

Its not for everyone...

I have to say that I like both equally, I own two of my favorite dream cars - one has pop up and one has fixed (NSX) I really like both...

I have been on the fence the last few days wondering if I really like the 02+ front ends or not.

If you have to convince yourself that you like it then don't get it. I personally prefer the flip up headlights myself and would never do a 02' front end conversion.

02+ looks great at certain angles and not so great at others. Pop-up looks great at all angles. However the 02+ does look more modern. If u r not sure the 02 look is for you, then don't do it.

If you do an 02+ nose please use OEM parts for the bumper/valance/lip.

I know it's not cheap but they're quality parts and look far better than any aftermarket bumpers out there, including the oem style ones.

imo the 02+ looks fantastic from all angles; its not 'just the headlights' but the cleaner + more aggressively styled and modern front bumper as well.

have to also agree with nsxot1c that the oem front bumpers looks and fits better then any of the aftermarket replicas; funny as i was just talking to stormrider about the exact same thing. aftermarket side skirts and rear apron can be massaged to look fantastic with nice fitment but the front end is the face of the vehicle. plus on a car as low as the nsx; a urethane front bumper can withstand much more of a beating then a fibreglass one.

Last edited:
you need to think and look at 2 side by side like I did in my other thread
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157439

but is a hard choice. trust me

as for the length they are the same the headlight comes down further to the front of the bumper,
as the pop-ups stop flush with the edge of the bumper

2012-01-13_14-42-25_903.jpg

I look at my 2004 everyday and cant stop loving my pop-ups.

but I cant get over the ugly bubble eyes.

So my opinion is pop-ups all the way.

but will keep my 04 just for the hell of it.

Last edited:
If your a grandpa go pops leave the fixed for the modern gen lol just kidding pops look good but not as good and young as fixed imo.

Thank you guys for all of the input. The picture you posted shawn gives me plenty to think about. Have another question about the targa roofs. Is there alot of cabin noise when the roof is on? Do you hear the sound of air coming through the seals or rattleing coming from the top when it is on? Are you worried about the roof not sealing properly as the car ages?

Cost about 10k.

I have a downforce front bumper and it looks and fits great.

yeah I never have the targa off and I never hear noise when I drive it.

now someone with an older targa should chime in to answer that.

all my seals are perfect.

I think the pop-ups dont mean your old I mean I am only 36 atleast I dont think I am old yet. but maybe I am LOL.

the bubble eyes follow the trend of all modern cars. I like my pop-ups
for the classic look Original look kinda thing

Thank you guys for all of the input. The picture you posted shawn gives me plenty to think about. Have another question about the targa roofs. Is there alot of cabin noise when the roof is on? Do you hear the sound of air coming through the seals or rattleing coming from the top when it is on? Are you worried about the roof not sealing properly as the car ages?

Mine is a 95 so 1st year of the removable roof panel. No creaking, snapping or wind noise I am very happy with the roof. I do have less than 50,000 miles though so you may want to here from others with more usage.

I really enjoy driving topless around town and will always continue to do so but it is interesting that as time goes on I like the look of the car a little better with the top on. Kinda feel the same way about the wifes SL, looks better with the roof up to me but definitely lots of fun around town with the roof down.

Peter

Last edited:
My targa has zero noise.

I think the 02 looks more modern for sure. But I don't think I'd do a conversion being its 10K. 10K can get a lot of other things. A supercharger, a suspension and a BBK. A killer set of wheels and a killer stereo. Nevermind a used TL or a cruise for two to Europe.

For what? To take a car apart and barely increase its value or possibly not at all? Just not worth it.

My targa has zero noise.

I think the 02 looks more modern for sure. But I don't think I'd do a conversion being its 10K. 10K can get a lot of other things. A supercharger, a suspension and a BBK. A killer set of wheels and a killer stereo. Nevermind a used TL or a cruise for two to Europe.

For what? To take a car apart and barely increase its value or possibly not at all? Just not worth it.

I don't think it would be done for monetary gains; I think from what I've seen on prime it is done for owners who are in for the long long term whom wish to keep the car looking as modern as possible and in some cases, was the deciding factor in even keeping the car itself.

Are the front end of the 2002+ a little longer than the flip up head light front ends. Also for the people that have switched from the flip up to 02+ front end. Do you ever regret it? I have been on the fence the last few days wondering if I really like the 02+ front ends or not. It would probly be easier to compare flip-up to stationary in person, but I do not have that option right now.

You REALLY need to see both in person to judge them. The 02 headlights look far better in person so go to the next local meet and drive around with those guys and you can see it on the road, where it looks even better because you are down low viewing from another car. It can sometimes look weird in photos, as it does have it's own awkwardness whereas the pop-ups are classically beautiful from all angles. Besides the looks, it's a performance mod too because it's minus 30 lbs.

i find it the other way around ,i think pops look better in person than photos lol

02+ is always on point. imo if pops was so ugly why so many owners want the conversion done

i also think in general a nsx in person is way better than photos. well to me that is

Last edited:
Back