Front engine mount removal

This thing is driving me nuts, can someone help.
I've try using the impact at an angle to try to loosen the middle long bolt on transmission side but still didn't budge after multiple impact attempts, and very little room on the side with the nut to work on, so that part right there is impossible to get a socket in there to remove. Also there is no room to get the 3 bolts that mounts to the engine out either(car is on jack stands).
My goal is to get that middle bolt in the engine mount out so i can remove the beam then get more room to remove the 3 bolts on the engine.

What else do i need to do here, any other special tools besides an impact wrench to remove this front mount???

NSX_Front_mount.jpg

Last edited:
I've got one & use it on the transmission side but like i said the nut side is too tight to get to, would i have to remove the down pipe & O2 sensor to make more room to get to that side? According to other threads on this, i shouldn't have to.

I've got one & use it on the transmission side but like i said the nut side is too tight to get to, would i have to remove the down pipe & O2 sensor to make more room to get to that side? According to other threads on this, i shouldn't have to.

The nut side is designed not turn while removing the bolt. You will not need to use a socket or wrench to hold the nut from turning.

Gary

I had the same problem trying to install my new set of headers. In order for me to make some room i removed the bolts from the engine mount because i couldn't get to loose the bolt from the actual mount. So if you remove the bolts from the mount and then loose/remove the bolts from the front crossbeam then only thing you'll have to do would be pull the beam down enough until you have enough room to extract the middle bolt or just remove the crossbeam completely and remove the engine mount. I had my car on jacks on my garage and i everything worked just fine, no impact need it just patient thats all. Good luck, Nico.

The nut is #14

13SL00_014_1.png

Thanks for the diagram Gary.
Now i can see what i am working with, going to use pblaster & heat with a torch & see if that will help free it up. I will not be surprise if this bolt has bonded with the nut after 21years.

I had the same problem trying to install my new set of headers. In order for me to make some room i removed the bolts from the engine mount because i couldn't get to loose the bolt from the actual mount. So if you remove the bolts from the mount and then loose/remove the bolts from the front crossbeam then only thing you'll have to do would be pull the beam down enough until you have enough room to extract the middle bolt or just remove the crossbeam completely and remove the engine mount. I had my car on jacks on my garage and i everything worked just fine, no impact need it just patient thats all. Good luck, Nico.

Nico, you must be a very good contortionist or something.
I'm not that bad of a contortionist but it was still not possible for me to get the 3 bolts on the engine mount out. Which wrenches are you using?

12 mm, well 5'11 and not very flexible to be honest but i had my car high enough to move my arm freely. The bolts came right off with a 12 mm wrench. I felt really stupid that i spent 3 days trying to remove the middle bolt, when it only took me less than a hour doing it the other way around. Shawn helped me out with his advice.

The bolt in question requires a 17mm swivel socket. I user a 1/2 extension about 12" long, by hand. Never had an issue braking this loose. Remember the nut has a tang, so it cannot rotate at the nut end. #11 in the pic will back out with a good 1/2" breaker bar;).

HTH,
LarryB

I always just removed the 3 bolts from the mount to the transmission and remove the whole cross beam and engine mount together. I use a ratcheting box wrench to get the 3 bolts loose.

I always just removed the 3 bolts from the mount to the transmission and remove the whole cross beam and engine mount together. I use a ratcheting box wrench to get the 3 bolts loose.

Ditto, much easier than removing the through bolt.

Issue is solved, mount removed & filled & put back in.
With a little heat, the swivel socket, & especially the wobble extension (i think this made a difference), the middle bolt finally came loose.
Thanks for everyone's quick response & suggestions, Prime is the best!!!:smile:

Back