• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front license plate -- legal to remove in CA?

Last question today -- promise! Does anyone have a definitive answer on whether it is legal to remove the front license plate in California? The Vehicle Code seems to imply that it is not legal:

5200. When two license plates are issued by the department for a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear. When one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof.

I see a lot of cars without front plates -- are they just waiting to get fix-it tickets, or what?

-Bob ('94 #496)

[This message has been edited by flaminio (edited 29 June 2000).]

Technically it is required in California to have a front license plate, although I see many many cars without them. I have been running around without a front plate for a little over a year now. I'll take my chances, because a front plate would cover up most of my grille and affects cooling. Plus it looks tacky.

Most cops won't stop you just for a lack of a front plate, but you never know if they're having a slow day and might be looking to get somebody on a technicality.

nose.jpg

cops have enough civics, integras to pull over for fix-it tickets, they usually don't bother expensive cars. It's pretty common for a civic with a modified muffler that is not even loud to get pulled-over, while a Ferrari with a hellish, flame throwing exhaust will never be stoped for it. The same concept with the license plates.

------------------
Please visit my NSX tuning page! Mods, Japanese NSX related stuff, pics!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/6073/index.html

I have to admit that I have the same requirement in VA, but I have been running without a front plate for over 3 months. Even though the car (Yellow/Black) draws considerable attention from law enforcement, they seem content to let me go. I always have my extra plate with me so there is no legal hastles, but so far so good.
smile.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

2 plates issued for the car. Front plate was destroyed when someone backed into the car. With a car like that that, even officer "ICEMAN" will show simpathy.

Hehe my friend just got a fix it ticket last night around 3:00 AM. He was driving a new and lowered Mercedes E430 with 18 inch rims. The cop pulled up right next to him to check if he had his front license plate and then went behind him to pull him over. Another cop immediately arrived at the scene. Two cops for a fix it ticket!!!!
I think the cop was just jealous of the car or had nothing else better to do. But in the NSX, I see cops all the time and to my suprise, so far I've never been pulled over for anything.

I heard in states that issue front and rear plates its required to have both on.

While I think in Cali they have more problems to deal with than people without front plates. I'm sure front plates plays second fiddle to drug deals, car jackings, drive bys, etc.

But here in ND where the most action we get is a fist fight between two drunks. It seems to me they have nothing better to do than pick on cars for window tint or no front plate.

While I disagree with maomaonsx about "expensive cars" getting away with things, I haven't got pulled over for no plate on the NSX, but I did on my Mercedes. IN MY OPINION some cops will pick on a person out of jealousy, simply because of the car they are driving. My 2 cents.

Flaminio:

There is no question that the NSX looks best without a front plate. However, I have a potential solution to your problem: get yourself a really unique (cool) personalized CA license plate that you'd enjoy displaying because it complements the look of your car.

If you do, you'll be happy to see it on the front! This is what I did.

My plate is the California Art Plate, which is a scene of several palm trees on the left and a setting sun on the right, with my "NSXY" centered in between. It's totally California chic, and makes me feel like I have arrived (I own an NSX, so apparently I have arrived). With an added black plate rim, the plate adds a neat touch to the look of my red NSX-T.

Now I never have to wonder if a cop will stop me for no front plate, and I enjoy the car more this way. There's nothing more soothing than comforming with the law.

Have a look at the DMV website on personalized plates. Do a search with "NSX" as a keyword, and you'll see all the names already taken. The invent your own. That's where I did my research before choosing mine.

Best luck. NSXY

There is no question that the NSX looks best without a front plate. However, I have a potential solution to your problem: get yourself a really unique (cool) personalized CA license plate that you'd enjoy displaying because it complements the look of your car.

Dude! I'm way ahead of you. I ordered whale-tail plates that say "ZIAS DAD" (Zia being my daughter -- check out her <a href="http://www.flaminio.com/zia/">web site</a>.) Whereever I go, people will see me and say "There goes Zia's Dad!"

-Bob ('94 #496)

Back