• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Front pads wearing asymmetrically

I have a 94 all stock. I just changed the front pads and the inside pad is worn down about twice as much on the top as the bottom. So to try and be clear, the pad lining is not wearing parallel to the backing plate. It’s wearing at an angle. I found it to be the same on the other side of the car. Is this normal? Also should I use the grease that comes with the pads. I there any reason other than reducing squealing? Could it help with heat transfer?

Thanks,

Patrick

usually that type of wear is a sign that the slider pin/pivot pin is seized in its bore. I think the service manual calls them pin bolts. Usually caused from damaged rubber pin boots. They have to slide freely. The "grease" is molly coat. A brake squeal is usally caused by a high speed pad vibration in the saddle or retainer. The molly coat on the backs of the pads and shims and ends lubes them.

mrbone said:
usually that type of wear is a sign that the slider pin/pivot pin is seized in its bore. I think the service manual calls them pin bolts. Usually caused from damaged rubber pin boots. They have to slide freely. The "grease" is molly coat. A brake squeal is usally caused by a high speed pad vibration in the saddle or retainer. The molly coat on the backs of the pads and shims and ends lubes them.

Thanks for the reply.
The calipers seem to be sliding freely on both pins.
I also notice that the top piston is of a smaller size. I wonder why they did that?

Regards,

Patrick

Throughly *clean* and regrease the pins and their bores. This is likely your problem.

Disc brakes work on very small tolerances. So little things really add up over long term.

You may have to rebuild your calipers too. The piston o-rings get hard and the bores get dirty/oxidized.

I also notice that the top piston is of a smaller size. I wonder why they did that?

A smaller bore will give out more pressure (albiet over a smaller area). They did this because they are smarter than us.

Drew

Back