• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

front spoiler - how to minimize rock chips?

Hey Guys
I need to have my West wings front spoiler refinished due to normal wear and tear and a plethora of rock chips. I know should ask for a flexing agent added to the paint but i there anything that will add endurance to decrease all the rock chips? A 3m shield?

TIA,
Greg

Last edited:
I think the 3m clear bra is the best way to go. Unless you got your face within a couple feet from the front spoiler, you really can't tell its there. I don't know how much it costs to get the front end of a NSX resprayed, But, I do know that a lot of Ferrari owners would rather pay $700-$1000 every couple years to replace the clear bra than a couple thousand for a respray.
My $0.02

luv2detail said:
I think the 3m clear bra is the best way to go. Unless you got your face within a couple feet from the front spoiler, you really can't tell its there. I don't know how much it costs to get the front end of a NSX resprayed, But, I do know that a lot of Ferrari owners would rather pay $700-$1000 every couple years to replace the clear bra than a couple thousand for a respray.
My $0.02

For $1000 you can have the front end of an NSX repainted and have some change left over. The clear bra is that expensive?

Hugh said:
For $1000 you can have the front end of an NSX repainted and have some change left over. The clear bra is that expensive?

You can pay up to $1000 for the clear bra, possibly more. If you pull up to the shop in a Ferrari, I'm sure the price magically jumps up a few hundred dollars. It all depends on how much you want covered and the surface shape that needs to be covered. The process is similar to window tinting, but windows are flat and the front end of a car is shapely. Although, I think the NSX would not be too difficult. I've heard that 3m also charges a lot for the film. (even though they probably make it for $0.05) Now, I've also heard that you can buy do-it-yourself kits that are pre-cut for your car and are relatively cheap. Maybe a couple hundred bucks.

clear as nite!

Clear-bra application for NSX usually runs $300-$400 when professionally done. Coverage is front bumper-cover, front bumper-valance (lip not included in protection), one-half front fenders & one-half lower portion of hood (visible line observable where protection coverage ends for both), headlight-covers.

Other areas of the NSX exterior that would benefit w/ a Clear-bra of type protection would be: door-mirrors, side-vents, front roof-line, rocker-panel portions near wheel-wells, rear spats.

Surprisingly, most of the exterior panels fare very well against stone-chips / elements / etc'. Front-bumper cover/valance is essentially the only problematic area.

General schematic on what I would "protect" if I had a pristine condition NSX that I planned to drive w/o hesitation...

rearbra39zh.jpg

I'm tinkering around w/ some stretchable/non-adhesive, glossy vinyl sheeting and a heat-gun... I have a Berlina black NSX, so these "disposable bra's" for my front lip & other areas would not be too difficult to color-match. My aftermarket front-lip looks like it needs a repaint every 2-3 months and at $250 for removal/ refinish/ reprep'/ color-match/ repaint/ reinstall on a regular basis is PITA IMHO!?! :frown:

Re: clear as nite!

Osiris_x11 said:
Clear-bra application for NSX usually runs $300-$400 when professionally done. Coverage is front bumper-cover, front bumper-valance (lip not included in protection), one-half front fenders & one-half lower portion of hood (visible line observable where protection coverage ends for both), headlight-covers.

Other areas of the NSX exterior that would benefit w/ a Clear-bra of type protection would be: door-mirrors, side-vents, front roof-line, rocker-panel portions near wheel-wells, rear spats

I agree with you all the places you've identified except I experienced stone chips over the entire bonnet area especially the lip covering the wipers.

It's a bugger that the film producers have a maximum of 600mm so that you can't do the bonnet in one piece!

I love mine....total peace of mind while driving on the interstate. Paid $700 for front and mirrors....

If you dont want the clear bra you can also have what they call stone guard added to the part. If you look on newer cars towards the bottom of the fenders and rocker panels some of them have this. Its like a clear undercoating that is put on top of the paint. Rocks will bounce off of it instead of chip the paint. If it is done right it will also look factory. Most auto body shops have it if your getting your lip repainted. You can also get a peel off temporary stone guard spray at napa or places like that.

They definitely can be a worthwhile investment, heres my feelings on them:

-The obvious benefit of no rock chips and being "invisible"

-Can be put in high wear areas to prevent scratches... such as door handle openings to eliminate those evil fingernail marks.... On the topside of back bumpers for those that use their trunk(and the bumper in doing so:rolleyes: )

-I have also seen it used on headlights which is a pretty cool idea especially if a lens is somewhat spendy.

However, what i have run into is that:

-The edges can be annoying to detail around (compound, wax, whatever you are using, often gets stuck up against the edge and can leave a nice line). It can be cleaned out but on the last car I worked on that had it some of the buildup was rather old and didn't seem to want to be removed. A good microfiber can often be used to remove most buildup though...

-Though invisible they tend to often times make the paint look overly orange peely.... Enough to where it can almost ruin a nice flat paintjob (which is the #1 reason i didn't put it on my car when i painted it, see below though)

-Make sure when installed all the edges and corners are wrapped on well, as I have seen on older installations that sometimes corners detach just on the edge and allow dirt to stick and turn yellowish.

-A few of the "precut kits" dont always fit all that well... I recall back to a Cadillac CTS that had the film applied where I work and while some pieces from the kit fit awesome, others needed modifying, which is why I would probably just assume cutting it yourself if you DIY it plus you can have extra to do any other odds and ends you think of that aren't included.

-Though i havent had a lot of time to experiment with the film, i have noticed it can be somewhat difficult to detail up with the rest of the paint as far as swirls and the extra gloss from my sealants etc. are concerned. I need to find a car that has this already applied that i can experiment with different products on...(and if you have any experience with it I want to know!)

Don't let this post lead you to think I am bashing the film, I am just laying out my experiences I have seen with it... And I do see myself putting it on a car in the future most likely... Though only in small portions. In a way i wish i had put it on some of the nose of my car as the car has a 2 color candy ghost fade paint from the lip up on the car and repainting it is... not an easy nor inexpensive (even though i do it for a living) task to accomplish...... and i have rock chips on it now :mad:

Re: clear as nite!

Osiris_x11 said:

Other areas of the NSX exterior that would benefit w/ a Clear-bra of type protection would be: door-mirrors, side-vents, front roof-line, rocker-panel portions near wheel-wells, rear spats.

Surprisingly, most of the exterior panels fare very well against stone-chips / elements / etc'. Front-bumper cover/valance is essentially the only problematic area.

General schematic on what I would "protect" if I had a pristine condition NSX that I planned to drive w/o hesitation...

rearbra39zh.jpg

I'm tinkering around w/ some stretchable/non-adhesive, glossy vinyl sheeting and a heat-gun... I have a Berlina black NSX, so these "disposable bra's" for my front lip & other areas would not be too difficult to color-match. My aftermarket front-lip looks like it needs a repaint every 2-3 months and at $250 for removal/ refinish/ reprep'/ color-match/ repaint/ reinstall on a regular basis is PITA IMHO!?! :frown:

I just had a "Clear Bra" put on. Interestingly enough, my car looks exactly like the pictured above.

I had the "Clear Bra" put on the same areas that were outlined in Red.

Work was done by Curry Automotive in Ashburn, Va....Cost was $1300.00. Wasn't cheap, but workmanship is "tight!" :biggrin:

Results are awesome...under indirect lighting the bra is virtually invisible...under direct lighting you can just make out the line between the paint and the bra.

I'll post pic's this weekend.

As a side note...one of ladies in the office overheard me discussing the "clear bra".... She was curious and asked me to describe it....her response..."..oh, just like a condom...." Which then led to a discussion of sex with or without condoms.....yes, she is attractive, no I didn't pursue it...I am married, old and half dead.

Regards,

Three comments:

1. I have the 3M kit that I purchased for $550. You can see it in spots around sharp curves if you use polarized lenses. Otherwise if properly applied it is invisible 5'away unless you are specifically looking for it.

2. An added benefit is that you can give the plastic film a very thin coat of VEIL laser diffuser without harming your paint.

3. I agree with our Antipodeal friend that the film should cover the entire bonnet.

Peace,
Ivanj

Back